PDA

View Full Version : questions about unregistered AW receiver.

slappomatt
11-19-2008, 2:45 PM
would it be legal to build a .22 rimfire rifle from a unregisted "listed" lower receiver?

DedEye
11-19-2008, 2:56 PM
NO!!!!

Listed is banned, period. Do not pass go, do not weld receiver and call it unbanned, do not build or possess it in this state (though there are some new thoughts on possession of a stripped listed receiver from what I've heard).

Just say NO.

Fate
11-19-2008, 4:07 PM
Is it just me or are the DOJ trolls getting less subtle?

elSquid
11-19-2008, 4:15 PM

"My grandpa brought back a low yield nuclear device after serving overseas in WWII. Is it legal for me to use it for hunting Condor in a lead-free zone? It is lead-free after all."

-- Michael

Ford8N
11-19-2008, 4:19 PM

You know, I'm just going to say it's all the youngsters just now getting into the OLL thing.....I hope it's not that "their man is now going to be in power" so we can now kick *****.:TFH:

rayra
11-19-2008, 4:23 PM
would it be legal to build a .22 rimfire rifle from a unregisted "listed" lower receiver?

Jerry 'Moonbeam' Brown's minions should be ringing your doorbell in about 4days.

In the meantime, if you were to hypothetically know of such a law-breaking rifle, you'd do well to take advantage of the current buying frenzy and make an online sale that allows you to ship it out of the state to an FFL for legal transfer to a lawful owner.
Hypothetically speaking.

elSquid
11-19-2008, 4:28 PM

No. If you are in possession of such a beast, you should contact a lawyer to arrange surrender of the lower to the proper authorities.

-- Michael

bwiese
11-19-2008, 4:49 PM
1.) Possession of a stripped, *listed* lower is likely a defendable case. This however should not be construed as any recommendation to retain one and it's best to contact an attorney and arrange surrender.

This is exhibited by the writing of the actual statute as well as also being addressed in the legislative analysis of AB2728 in summer of 2006 during discussion of 'listing' receivers:

12276. As used in this chapter, "assault weapon" shall mean the following designated semiautomatic firearms:
(a) All of the following specified rifles:...
(b) All of the following specified pistols:...
(c) All of the following specified shotguns...
... and a stripped 'listed' receiver is none of these.

2.) Even when using above logic, rimfire status would not remove named AW status because it'd still be a 'rifle'.

Max-the-Silent
11-19-2008, 5:22 PM

Trolls or the general ignorance of the uninformed?

I've only been here for a year, but I've seen some real fishy posts, and some just plain flat-assed goofy posts.

You try to educate the ignorant, and ignore the trolls.

AYEAREFIFTEEN
11-19-2008, 5:50 PM
"My grandpa brought back a low yield nuclear device after serving overseas in WWII. Is it legal for me to use it for hunting Condor in a lead-free zone? It is lead-free after all."

-- Michael

Only if it has a non-detachable plutonium trigger.

CSACANNONEER
11-19-2008, 6:56 PM

-- Michael

Please don't hunt Condors. Their eggs are so good but, they just keep getting harder to find due to being over hunted.

Backcountry
11-19-2008, 7:23 PM

Did you think about the possible legal consequences of posting that before clicking submit?

AngelDecoys
11-19-2008, 7:37 PM

The under $200 cost of obtaining a legal OLL reciever (over using a listed lower reciever) and risking the consequences is a no brainer. Call it cheap insurance, and get the listed lower out of the state pronto.

slappomatt
11-19-2008, 8:01 PM
Did you think about the possible legal consequences of posting that before clicking submit?

Did I think about the legal consequences of posting a question? are you flipping serious? back in 2000 the internet and actual gun info was scarce in CA. if you talked to 3 cops, 4 gun store owners, and 4 people at a range you would get 32 different answers and non of them correct.

Pred Thumper
11-19-2008, 8:06 PM

-- Michael

No problem ... can I come and watch :)

Backcountry
11-19-2008, 8:39 PM
Did I think about the legal consequences of posting a question? are you flipping serious? back in 2000 the internet and actual gun info was scarce in CA. if you talked to 3 cops, 4 gun store owners, and 4 people at a range you would get 32 different answers and non of them correct.

A person I know actually bought a lower at a gun show in April 2000 and wasnt told he had to register it until it was way too late. I guess the only thing to do is sell it to a FFL out of state? They sure dont give you many options to be legal.
I meant no disrespect, but suffice it to say, there are ways to ask questions that don't implicate a person as a law breaker. There are plenty of stories out there how the State likes to bust people for having unregistered listed lowers, and if I had one I certainly wouldn't advertise it by asking questions about it, Patriot Act paranoia and all that.

If I were you I'd delete this thread and start over.

unusedusername
11-19-2008, 10:06 PM

-- Michael

:laugh: :rofl2:

You sir owe me a new keyboard... this one is now covered in soda.

LOL!

M. Sage
11-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Did I think about the legal consequences of posting a question? are you flipping serious?

Dead serious. This forum is trolled by CA DOJ at least.

JDay
11-20-2008, 5:33 AM

-- Michael

Then whats shielding the casing?

JDay
11-20-2008, 5:39 AM
I meant no disrespect, but suffice it to say, there are ways to ask questions that don't implicate a person as a law breaker. There are plenty of stories out there how the State likes to bust people for having unregistered listed lowers, and if I had one I certainly wouldn't advertise it by asking questions about it, Patriot Act paranoia and all that.

If I were you I'd delete this thread and start over.

I see nowhere that he said he in in possession of such a receiver in the state of California.

elSquid
11-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Then whats shielding the casing?

{snaps fingers} Ah, forgot about that. Fair enough, I 'll just use it for home defense instead.

-- Michael

Backcountry
11-20-2008, 11:12 AM
I see nowhere that he said he in in possession of such a receiver in the state of California.
Then I guess I'm the only person that incorrectly suspects the OP of owning a listed unregistered lower.

DedEye
11-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Then I guess I'm the only person that incorrectly suspects the OP of owning a listed unregistered lower.

You aren't.

Backcountry
11-20-2008, 11:39 AM
You aren't.
Well then I'm sure it's just the two of us, and the California DOJ.

The OP should hide his dog.

JDay
11-20-2008, 4:12 PM

I said possession not ownership, he could very well legally own one thats currently in another state.

Backcountry
11-20-2008, 9:04 PM
I said possession not ownership, he could very well legally own one thats currently in another state.
You've made your point and I've made mine. The DOJ silent trolls have also made their mind up. Let's move on.