PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Falls

X-NewYawker
11-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Continuing their policy of recounting until they win and then stopping, Democrats have taken the Senate seat in Alaska. There are still two undecided races. If they both go Dem (they are in states with Democratic Secretaries of State) then the Senate will have a Republican proof 60 vote "super majority."
They will be able to pass any bill without even considering the other side of the aisle.

How the hell did this happen?

Are we law abiding citizens REALLY the bad guys?

Biff...
11-19-2008, 12:32 PM
I was thinking about this subject this morning. The way I see it, let them have their super majority, I tired of all the *****ing & moaning-lets see what they can do when all the blame falls on them. I can already see Nancy & Harry , peeing in their depends. Maybe this is just another step on the road f'ing up this county.

X-NewYawker
11-19-2008, 12:33 PM
That would be fine if they couldn't do PERMANENT damage to America in the process.

RRangel
11-19-2008, 12:43 PM
What passes for a Democrat in Alaska is not the same as a Democrat in San Francisco, Los Angeles, or New York. Though I'm sure there will be issues affected.

Nodda Duma
11-19-2008, 12:52 PM
What passes for a Democrat in Alaska is not the same as a Democrat in San Francisco, Los Angeles, or New York. Though I'm sure there will be issues affected.

Agree. My home state of Arkansas almost always puts a Democrat in the US Senate and the House. Heck, only one US Rep district had a Republican even running this year. But these are old school democrats, and usually vote more conservative than most Republicans.

-Jason

tgun
11-19-2008, 12:53 PM
How the hell did this happen?

This happened because the Republican party abandoned its principles and the Constitution in an attempt to make us FEEL physically (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PATRIOT_Act) and financially (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Economic_Stabilization_Act_of_2008) safer. Too many of us were disgusted and gave the Republicans an electoral kick in the butt.

EastBayRidge
11-19-2008, 1:13 PM
We're law abiding. Ted Stevens, not so much...

dwa
11-19-2008, 1:15 PM
i think at this point we should let the dems loose to espose themselves for what they are, we have to fall before we can get up.

CCWFacts
11-19-2008, 1:34 PM

The big issue is filibustering. Would an Alaska Democrat go against his own party to defend a filibuster? I don't think so.

It would be another level of badness if the Dems get a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

bulgron
11-19-2008, 1:37 PM
The big issue is filibustering. Would an Alaska Democrat go against his own party to defend a filibuster? I don't think so.

It would be another level of badness if the Dems get a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

Yes, it's pretty much game, set and match if that happens.

On the other hand, they'll have enough rope to hang themselves with. And hanging themselves is in fact what they will do.

yellowfin
11-19-2008, 1:44 PM
It seems, however, that no matter how many times they hang themselves they seem to survive. Otherwise they'd be long gone by now, right? It astounds me how much they can do wrong and still stay in power. 9% approval rating and they GAINED seats?!?

CCWFacts
11-19-2008, 1:45 PM
Yes, it's pretty much game, set and match if that happens.

On the other hand, they'll have enough rope to hang themselves with. And hanging themselves is in fact what they will do.

It's almost too bad that the Democrats in this state never got to 2/3 majority needed to pass budget bills. If they did, they would create a disaster ("10% pay increase for all state workers! Lifetime healthcare after 5 years of service! Let's build more prisons!") and set themselves up for a routing and a fiery revival of the Republicans. At least we have districting reform, allowing to have a slow revival of the Republicans in this state.

bulgron
11-19-2008, 1:53 PM
It's almost too bad that the Democrats in this state never got to 2/3 majority needed to pass budget bills. If they did, they would create a disaster ("10% pay increase for all state workers! Lifetime healthcare after 5 years of service! Let's build more prisons!") and set themselves up for a routing and a fiery revival of the Republicans. At least we have districting reform, allowing to have a slow revival of the Republicans in this state.

Yeah, but first the Republicans in this state have to pull their heads out of their nether regions, and figure out how to run candidates that appeal to the voters in this state. For now, our only hope is the federal courts. If Obama changes those enough that they fail us, then it really will be time to leave California.

As for the situation on the federal level, the current mega-majority that the Dems enjoy is not, I think, a stable situation. It's really a reaction to Republican excesses and corruption. When Dems descend into corruption and excesses (and they will), we'll be right back to a Republican majority in short order.

Question is, will the Republicans have learned from their mistakes and stop being greedy, power hungry idiots? I don't have much hope that they'll change their stripes, but you never know.

Liberty1
11-19-2008, 7:26 PM
And don't forget the Dems still have that wishy washy reach across the aisle RINO McCain they can count on to help "move things forward for the good of the country". McCain is our Lieberman.:(

Racer5
11-19-2008, 7:33 PM
Ted Stevens is a convicted felon, it's fitting that he lost, but scary that he came so close to winning.

As to the Democrats having enough votes to force cloture, it's time we let them try their hand at governing - if they make mistakes, they'll be reined back in. If they can fix things, then, let them continue. And there's much to fix...

yellowfin
11-19-2008, 7:47 PM
They'll fix things in the sense you have your dog fixed.

Pred Thumper
11-19-2008, 8:13 PM
If they are successful in opening up the constitution for what they call "change" for the better, we will see the real roaches coming out of the wood works as we see our rights diminished. Anyone say Arnold for President! lol

Satex
11-19-2008, 8:46 PM

That may be true, but Pelosi has a record of making every democrat fall in line with the party position "or else".

Meplat
11-19-2008, 10:40 PM
The permanent damage has already been done we are only seeing the results of it. We are going to see interesting times. Let the games begin!!
:43:

That would be fine if they couldn't do PERMANENT damage to America in the process.

Meplat
11-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah, but first the Republicans in this state have to pull their heads out of their nether regions, and figure out how to run candidates that appeal to the voters in this state. .

You mean like Arnold!?!?!?:eek:

RRangel
11-20-2008, 6:28 AM

As it relates to a new AWB I think an Alaska Democrat would go against his own party.

sigsauer887
11-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Well he's pro gun at least.

CCWFacts
11-20-2008, 10:11 AM
As it relates to a new AWB I think an Alaska Democrat would go against his own party.

Not in a filibuster vote.

In a filibuster vote, the question is, "should the senate end debate on the question". He would tell his constituents, "I didn't vote for the AWB, I just wanted to end debate on it so that the senate could vote on it. And when it came to the vote, I voted 'no' on the AWB."

yellowfin
11-20-2008, 10:59 AM
A question I forgot to ask about this: where in Alaska is Alaska Falls?

MrTuffPaws
11-20-2008, 1:35 PM
Heaven forbid that ever vote be counted.