PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much ?

gazzavc
11-19-2008, 8:41 AM
As a resident of Los Angeles county, is there any law on the books that covers "How much ammo can be legally owned or stored " ??

I've looked and searched around but haven't found a definative answer.

Just wondering as I'm contemplating ordering a couple of cases of various calibers that I shoot.

Thanks

Gary

stphnman20
11-19-2008, 8:42 AM
I dont think there is a limit..

JDay
11-19-2008, 8:45 AM
The only limits I've ever seen were on amounts of black powder and it was in a fire code. I don't think it applies to packaged ammo though. Was something like 50lbs of black powder.

rayra
11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
No limits on cartrdiges whatsoever. Just be careful not to wind up like that poor bastard in Norco.

Private citizen limit on black powder in L.A. County is FIVE pounds, not 50.
Same limit on smokeless powder is 25 lbs, iirc.

Both are in the L.A. County Fire Code. And that's the only place any limits on private cits appear.

CSACANNONEER
11-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Private citizen limit on black powder in L.A. County is FIVE pounds, not 50.
Same limit on smokeless powder is 25 lbs, iirc.

Both are in the L.A. County Fire Code. And that's the only place any limits on private cits appear.

These are storage limits without an approved type of powder magazine. There is no limit on the amount one can own, just store without a proper magazine.

yellowfin
11-19-2008, 11:18 AM
When you stub your toe on a stack of ammo cans by your bed, then you need to think about how much more you can have in one place.

ryno066
11-19-2008, 11:45 AM
No limits on cartrdiges whatsoever. Just be careful not to wind up like that poor bastard in Norco.

Info?

gazzavc
11-19-2008, 8:50 PM
Well my credit card does have a $63,000 credit line...........:)

rayra
11-19-2008, 9:08 PM
Info?

12-18mos ago.
Guy had scores / hundreds? of firearms and a massive amount of ammo. Fear-mongering media said a million rounds, folks looking at photos guesstimated a figure under 100k.
He had stuff stacked and stashed all over his house, including some sort of excavation under the house. Suburban neighborhood.
His house caught fire, he was frantic about getting stuff out, fire dept came and set about their business, distraught man refused to step aside and let them do their thing, turned into a confrontation, man arrested, put in for observation, house tossed by local sherriffs, ATF involved, his business strewn all over the street / sidewalk, and IIRC ultimately found to have some unregistered assault weapons and I do believe stripped of his rights. All his **** was confiscated. Never read of a final resolution. Travesty all around.

rayra
11-19-2008, 9:09 PM
These are storage limits without an approved type of powder magazine. There is no limit on the amount one can own, just store without a proper magazine.

Even with a storage magazine, isn't there an upper limit in a residential neighborhood?

Meplat
11-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Sounds like personal experiance to me!:p

When you stub your toe on a stack of ammo cans by your bed, then you need to think about how much more you can have in one place.

JDay
11-20-2008, 6:18 AM
12-18mos ago.
Guy had scores / hundreds? of firearms and a massive amount of ammo. Fear-mongering media said a million rounds, folks looking at photos guesstimated a figure under 100k.

I found a few of the articles.

Million rounds of ammo found at CA house
(http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-02-ammunition_x.htm)
House fire leads police to at least a million rounds (http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_5347601)

Exploding ammunition cache greets firefighters arriving at blaze in Norco (http://articles.latimes.com/2007/mar/03/local/me-ammo3)

gazzavc
11-23-2008, 9:53 PM
Interesting information. Thanks for the links.

Gary