PDA

View Full Version : THANK YOU to all of you who were at the OC BOS Meeting

H Paul Payne
11-18-2008, 10:10 PM
I just returned home from a long day, 8:00am - 6:00pm + three hours of traffic, at the Orange County Board of Supervisors' Meeting.

Although I will probably have more comments later, I wanted to thank everyone who invested their time to spend the day at this important meeting.
It's always nice when the vote goes 5-0 in our favor. Now, we will have to wait a little while to see if the Sheriff takes proper advantage of the situation and adjusts her CCW issuance policy appropriately.

Paul

Fate
11-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Good to hear it went well.

RomanDad
11-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I just returned home from a long day, 8:00am - 6:00pm + three hours of traffic, at the Orange County Board of Supervisors' Meeting.

Although I will probably have more comments later, I wanted to thank everyone who invested their time to spend the day at this important meeting.
It's always nice when the vote goes 5-0 in our favor. Now, we will have to wait a little while to see if the Sheriff takes proper advantage of the situation and adjusts her CCW issuance policy appropriately.

Paul

Thanks paul!

Good meeting you!

M. D. Van Norman
11-18-2008, 11:14 PM
I had to leave shortly before 5:00 PM, but it was a very impressive day. Iím glad to hear that the vote went our way, though I knew early on that we had at least three supervisors.

Thank you to all my fellow CalGunners who attended. :cheers2:

yellowfin
11-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Excellent work, everyone. Now here's the big question: when's the Bay Area sequel to this fine day? Some policies need the same adjustments here in Silicon Valley.

bulgron
11-19-2008, 8:15 AM
Excellent work, everyone. Now here's the big question: when's the Bay Area sequel to this fine day? Some policies need the same adjustments here in Silicon Valley.

The Bay Area is different because we don't currently have a large body of citizens with CCWs. We don't have CCWs, so the politicians can't outrage us by taking them away.

There's a lot of interest in this area, but not any momentum. I don't know how to change that, short of a few successful court fights. A big part of the problem is that the pro-gun community in this area got split due to some in-fighting that went on some number of years before I got involved, and there hasn't been any attempt at subsequent coordination of efforts, at least as far as I can tell.

That said, rumor has it that we now have a pro-gun majority on the Board of Supervisors. That's just a rumor, by the way, I don't know it for a fact. But if true, it's a potential ace up our sleeves if we can find a way to make forward progress here.

ptoguy2002
11-19-2008, 10:29 AM
If you needed warm bodies of support, I woulda gone to this, but didn't even know about it.
??

Theseus
11-19-2008, 11:33 AM
I think that it would be prudent to start getting an election campaign going for a replacement sheriff. .

If she can't support the constituents that she was placed to represent she can be removed. . . Make the point clear and strong that this will not be tolerated and she WILL be replaced if not in line.

RomanDad
11-19-2008, 11:54 AM
I think that it would be prudent to start getting an election campaign going for a replacement sheriff. .

If she can't support the constituents that she was placed to represent she can be removed. . . Make the point clear and strong that this will not be tolerated and she WILL be replaced if not in line.

Hi... Have you visited OCCCWS.com?

www.occcws.com

bruss01
11-19-2008, 1:47 PM
So what, exactly, happened?

I heard "5-0 vote, our favor". In favor of what? Casting a stern look of disapproval towards the Sheriff? Or something with actual teeth in it?

I'm interested in hearing what transpired, someone, please spill.

CAL.BAR
11-19-2008, 2:00 PM
Yes - do we know the details? Last I heard the Sheriff still had BROAD discretion re: ccw's and last Hutchins press release was essentially "there aren't enough of you to matter I'm doing this my way"

bulgron
11-19-2008, 2:13 PM
The BoS can only do so much. The law is clear that the Sheriff has broad discretion on CCW issuance policies(*), and so the board is walking a fine line on this topic. They were clearly aware that if they went too far, they'd be meddling in something that they don't have the authority to meddle in.

That said, because this Sheriff was appointed by the board (and not elected), and because the Sheriff's actions on CCW caught the board by surprise, they decided to issue a formal position of the board stating what they think the CCW policy should be, and what the Sheriff's actions should be relative to existing CCWs.

I don't have a copy of the board's position. I'm sure someone will post it here when it is formally released.

What the board did is purely advisory. However, there are politics at play here. Hutchens knows she needs the support of the Powers That Be in Orange county if she's to be elected for real to Sheriff in 2010, so she can't afford to upset the political applecart. Therefore, my guess is that she'll take the board's advise seriously.

But that's just an extreme outsider's opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

(*) The Sheriff does indeed have broad authority on her CCW issuance policy. But that said, the courts pretty much require her to apply that policy consistently and fairly. It's arguable that what Hutchens is doing w.r.t. revocation is, at the very least, not fair. If a lawsuit comes out of this, I suspect that we'll find out for real whether Hutchens' actions are supportable under the law.

yellowfin
11-19-2008, 4:21 PM
From what I have been told, the reason for the secrecy was that there were infliltrations and spying by the opposition which would negate the effectiveness of any strategies proposed at the meetings. A person who explained it to me likened it to playing poker with your cards all showing to everyone. That may be just his side of it, but I think he may be right to some extent.

GaryPowersLives
11-20-2008, 12:14 PM
I was there. OCCCWS had over 200 people there. Over 80 spoke. It was at times very passionate, and very informative. I was glad to see lots of other women there as well.

The Sheriff got an earful. The BOS resolution does not have any real teeth, in a legal sense, but it sends a strong message. Also, should the department get sued in connection with her new policy, the BOS may frown on having to approve any expenditure for a defense, if it became clear that it resulted out of her policy even after she was warned via the resolution. Time will tell.

Yellowfin, a lot of it was not too secret. I suggest anyone that has an OC CCW or wants one to join up on the OCCCWS.com site

xLusi0n
11-20-2008, 1:49 PM
If 100 people have their license revoeked, could they file a lawsuit together? 100 people + others concerned could easily pool enough money to hire lawyers to file a law suit.

M. D. Van Norman
11-20-2008, 2:48 PM
After Nordyke, I think that is quite possibly the plan.