PDA

View Full Version : AW Ban Reauthorization - HR 6257 - By Republicans?

hoffmang
11-17-2008, 9:59 PM
Ok... This is left field.

I expected an AWB or two to be introduced. I however never thought and AW ban would be reintroduced by 5 Republicans before Obama took over the White House:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-6257
Sponsor:
Rep. Mark Kirk [R-IL]
Cosponsors:
Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen [R-FL]
Rep. Michael Ferguson [R-NJ]
Rep. Christopher Shays [R-CT]
Rep. Michael Castle [R-DE]

-Gene

berto
11-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Maybe Shays wants a 'bipartisan' appointment from Obama.

domokun
It just goes to show you that the common non-gun aware folks can't tell the difference between a fully automatic (machine) rifle and a semi-automatic. If it looks like a machine gun, it must be a machine gun..... :banghead: Maybe it's time to go on a education and outreach campaign one neighborhood at a time in areas that aren't adversely affected by gun violence to see if we can people to understand at least the difference between a machine gun and a semi-automatic firearm.

rct442
From H.R. 6257:

(a) RESTRICTION- Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding after subsection (u) the following:

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed under Federal law on the date of the enactment of this subsection.

Is this a Grandfather Clause? I'm not clear what this paragraph is relative to...

EastBayRidge
11-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Seems to have been intro'd back in June, and not acted on since late July. Weird. Shays was voted out, fwiw.

56Chevy
11-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Maybe they're trying to drum up ammo and gun sales?

Mssr. Eleganté
11-17-2008, 10:21 PM
It's not an A/W ban. It's a "Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act". Didn't you read the title of the bill? It protects firearms use. :rolleyes:

JeffM
11-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Welcome to the new and improved Republican party.

Not a huge shocker by the way they have been leaning as of late.

sorensen440
11-17-2008, 10:37 PM
wow that is out of left field
should we be worried and what can we do to fight it ?

bruss01
11-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Dated 6/12/08?

This has been around a while, seemingly going nowhere.

Dr. Peter Venkman
11-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Man, if we had only voted for McCain we wouldn't be in this mess! :rolleyes:

GOP needs to GO.

freakshow10mm
11-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Those that think Republicans are for gun rights are fools. They have brought on just as much gun control legislation as the Democrats. Can't carry a gun in your state? Guess whom is to blame? The right wing Republican Klu Klux Klan. Don't believe me? Check into the history of the ban on carrying concealed and open weapons from the end of the War of Northern Aggression (Civil War for us Northerners) until the Depression.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Guess whom is to blame? The right wing Republican Klu Klux Klan. Don't believe me? Check into the history of the ban on carrying concealed and open weapons from the end of the War of Northern Aggression (Civil War for us Northerners) until the Depression.

To be fair, the Klan were all Democrats until the 1960's. :p

sorensen440
11-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Those that think Republicans are for gun rights are fools. They have brought on just as much gun control legislation as the Democrats. Can't carry a gun in your state? Guess whom is to blame? The right wing Republican Klu Klux Klan. Don't believe me? Check into the history of the ban on carrying concealed and open weapons from the end of the War of Northern Aggression (Civil War for us Northerners) until the Depression.

So are you trying to say that there are as many anti gun republicans as anti gun democrats ??
really ??

CCWFacts
11-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Ok... This is left field.

I expected an AWB or two to be introduced. I however never thought and AW ban would be reintroduced by 5 Republicans before Obama took over the White House:

It would make sense for the AWB proponents to find Republicans to introduce it. That's what I would do if I were them. Just like if we have a CCW bill introduced in California it would make sense to try to get Democrats to introduce it.

freakshow10mm
11-17-2008, 11:08 PM
To be fair, the Klan were all Democrats until the 1960's. :p
Negative.

So are you trying to say that there are as many anti gun republicans as anti gun democrats ??
really ??
Yes. The Republican and Democrat parties are far from pro gun rights as a party platform, both in practice. Both could care less. They want two things: money and power.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find Republicans voting for this bill. Don't blame me, I voted Libertarian (http://www.lp.org/issues/gun-laws).

Mssr. Eleganté
11-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Guess whom is to blame? The right wing Republican Klu Klux Klan. Don't believe me? Check into the history of the ban on carrying concealed and open weapons from the end of the War of Northern Aggression (Civil War for us Northerners) until the Depression.

Klan members wouldn't be caught dead voting Republican in that era. One of the first goals of the KKK was to intimidate and kill Republican candidates in the South. The Klan was still an important voting block at the Democratic Party nominating conventions of the 1920's. Even today, the only known Klansman holding Federal office is Robert Byrd, a Democrat.

Lee F. Smith
11-18-2008, 12:01 AM
This is the thing that drives us insane at the grassroots level . You try to tell someone about these bills and they say your spreading FUD, they look at you like the old perverted uncle and walk off. If they keep throwing this crap against the wall sooner or later one is going to stick.

I don't want to be the one who told you so, but how do you get it across. In the 2nd and 3rd districts , basically Sacramento north to Oregon and from the coastal range to Nevada, during the last 3 years I have maybe 40 gun owners that have said they will help, and 1 in 10 that will respond when asked. I am guessing there maybe more gun owners in these districts, but complacency is the order of the day.

The sad thing is that they will call me after the fact to scorn me for not telling them, or ask what can we do. It is too late by then.

FreedomIsNotFree
11-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Considering this bill has no traction and hasn't moved along in the legislative process, it's likely nothing but a "feel good" proposal put forward so the co-sponsors can claim they are tough on crime/guns.

icormba
11-18-2008, 1:28 AM
Klan members wouldn't be caught dead voting Republican in that era. One of the first goals of the KKK was to intimidate and kill Republican candidates in the South. The Klan was still an important voting block at the Democratic Party nominating conventions of the 1920's. Even today, the only known Klansman holding Federal office is Robert Byrd, a Democrat.

add...
David Duke was a Democrat until 1989 when he changed to the Republican Party. He was a KKK Grand Wizard while a Democrat.

nick
11-18-2008, 1:34 AM
Considering this bill has no traction and hasn't moved along in the legislative process, it's likely nothing but a "feel good" proposal put forward so the co-sponsors can claim they are tough on crime/guns.

Gotta work on separating guns and crime. As long as they're lumped together, it gives a good-sounding excuse to the antis.

nicki
11-18-2008, 3:36 AM
At least one of them lost their reelection bid, I believe Shays.

Shays is a DIP(Democrat in Practice)RINO(Republican In Name Only).

Guess he wanted one last parting shot.

Nicki

sierratangofoxtrotunion
11-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Odd that ALL the sponsors are Republicans. What's these guys' voting record like? Did the NRA approach the Republican Party leadership and have them find Republicans in anti-gun areas to attach their names to this? That way it doesn't hurt them in their districts on the issues, but the Rs have hijacked and stalled the AWB movement.

trashman
11-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Interesting example...need to cross-link it to another thread in the 08 Elections forum.

--Neill

berto
11-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Odd that ALL the sponsors are Republicans. What's these guys' voting record like? Did the NRA approach the Republican Party leadership and have them find Republicans in anti-gun areas to attach their names to this? That way it doesn't hurt them in their districts on the issues, but the Rs have hijacked and stalled the AWB movement.

Shays was the last New England republican in the house. He was defeated.

The guy from Ill. is a suburban Chicago anti.

grammaton76
11-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Heh. Seems a lot of anti-gun things have come from Chicago lately...

armandolo
11-18-2008, 1:04 PM
... Maybe it's time to go on a education and outreach campaign one neighborhood at a time ...

I also propose calling all AK types as Saigas, since thats what an Semiautomatic AK lookalike is called in Russia (yes even factory Krinkov type Saigas exist). If it catches up (I doubt it), we wont call "Those evil guns" AKs anyome.

AK - Stands for AVTOMAT KALASHNIKOVA (Automatic Rifle of Kalashnikov)

If the variant is not fully automatic, its not an AK, its a Saiga - a cute little animal :).

Equalizer2
11-18-2008, 1:29 PM
Old News:eek::eek: http://64.151.69.37/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=107607&highlight=HR+6257

CAL.BAR
11-18-2008, 8:19 PM
Welcome to the new and improved Republican party.

Not a huge shocker by the way they have been leaning as of late.

Exactly how are the republicans leaning? They chose a fundamentalist (speaking in tounges) religeous nutty as the VP running mate!

Meplat
11-18-2008, 9:16 PM
I'm a small L libertarian. I have even registered Libertarian at times. But, I gotta tell ya, some of the wing-nuts that get so far out there they are shooting all of us in the foot are starting to get to me.:rolleyes:

Negative.

Yes. The Republican and Democrat parties are far from pro gun rights as a party platform, both in practice. Both could care less. They want two things: money and power.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find Republicans voting for this bill. Don't blame me, I voted Libertarian (http://www.lp.org/issues/gun-laws).

Meplat
11-18-2008, 9:24 PM
And the dems chose a fundamentalist muslim for the top of their ticket.:p

Exactly how are the republicans leaning? They chose a fundamentalist (speaking in tounges) religeous nutty as the VP running mate!