PDA

View Full Version : Importing AR-Pistol

xLusi0n
11-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I can bring a OLL w/ fixed magazine that's semi-auto so long as it's a registered pistol correct? - Importing into CA as a someone moving back to CA.

yellowfin
11-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Doesn't need to be registered as a pistol at all if it's 16" and has a stock on it.

bwiese
11-17-2008, 11:20 AM
I can bring a OLL w/ fixed magazine that's semi-auto so long as it's a registered pistol correct? - Importing into CA as a someone moving back to CA.

As long as it was legitimately acquired in the other state (i.e, dude was a resident there) and was a legit AR pistol he can bring it in as long as it's not an AW (i.e, fixed 10rd magazine).

The single-shot exemption (12133PC) only needs to be utilized when gun is being imported by CA FFL as an FFL sale.

The owner will have to file a New Resident Handgun Ownership Report with DOJ BoF and pay a $19 fee (can't remember if it's per-gun or for whole application).

CWatson
11-17-2008, 12:32 PM
As long as it was legitimately acquired in the other state (i.e, dude was a resident there) and was a legit AR pistol he can bring it in as long as it's not an AW (i.e, fixed 10rd magazine).

The single-shot exemption (12133PC) only needs to be utilized when gun is being imported by CA FFL as an FFL sale.

The owner will have to file a New Resident Handgun Ownership Report with DOJ BoF and pay a $19 fee (can't remember if it's per-gun or for whole application).

How would this work under the following scenario. A person lives in Nevada a few months a year and has a Nevada State Seasonal Resident ID card but never gives up California residance. While in NV buys a AR pistol lower and wants to bring them to their CA home once they return here in a few months. The lower is off list and not a named AW. Must a fixed mag be installed before it is brought into CA since it is only a lower or is the fixed mag the first part that has to be installed when one decides to build the lower up? I am assuming the former just to be on the safe side but is it illegal to have a unassembled pistol lower with the open mag well and no parts installed?

Since you are not a new resident you can not use the form above to register so is there another form used to voluntarily register a handgun and should the gun be built up or is it legal to register the stripped lower?

Thanks,
CW

bwiese
11-17-2008, 12:47 PM
How would this work under the following scenario. A person lives in Nevada a few months a year and has a Nevada State Seasonal Resident ID card but never gives up California residance. While in NV buys a AR pistol lower and wants to bring them to their CA home once they return here in a few months.

As long as BATF is happy with the dual residency, CA can't ***** about it.

Some people play games with dual residency so this is something to be careful of (owning property/voting there does NOT automagically qualify you, you'd better have an actual presence there for period of time. I think grocery bills, ATM receipts etc could help validate this.

Hoffmang can speak more to residency requirements.

The lower is off list and not a named AW. Must a fixed mag be installed before it is brought into CA since it is only a lower or is the fixed mag the first part that has to be installed when one decides to build the lower up? I am assuming the former just to be on the safe side but is it illegal to have a unassembled pistol lower with the open mag well and no parts installed?

An AR rifle lower is just a firearm: it's not semiauto, centerfire or a rifle.

An AR pistol lower is a virgin receiver transferred as such or as a pistol. Whether it's marked 'pistol' or not is irrelevant. As a bare receiver, it's not semiauto or centerfire - it's just a pistol frame that could have multiple non-AW outcomes (fixed-mag nonAW, or single-shot pistol). It's exactly the same as a T/C pistol frame.

Providing you acquired it legally in NV (i.e, your residency is valid their to NV and the BATF) you could bring it back into CA. You would have to file a DOJ Handgun Ownership Report though

Since you are not a new resident you can not use the form above to register so is there another form used to voluntarily register a handgun and should the gun be built up or is it legal to register the stripped lower?

You could probably use that form and the DOJ would be happy - or just fill out the Voluntary Registration form.