View Full Version : how to get hunting licence

11-17-2008, 8:08 AM
I live in the bayarea and was wandering how do I go about getting my hunting licence to so I can go out with some buds to go deer or turkey hunting.
please help me out.

11-17-2008, 8:15 AM
Ez. All you have to do is take a quick class.
I reccomend the online part 1st if you already have common sense and know the basics of weapons safety.
Then you take the test, get your hunter ed cert which is about the size of your drivers license, then go buy a license.

Full Clip
11-17-2008, 8:16 AM
First find a local place that offers a Hunter's Education class.
You have to pass that first (and get a little certificate card), then you can go to any Big 5 or wherever to buy a license.

11-17-2008, 8:21 AM
If you post your city we can probably recommend a close place for you to go and take the class.

11-17-2008, 6:11 PM
I HIGHLY recommend the class at Coyote Valley Sporting Clays in Morgan Hill. It's held monthly, and the volunteers that put it on are all top notch life long hunters. They have folks that specialize in bird hunting, bear hunting, bow hunting, guns, survival, first aid, butchering, etc. Every hour or so it's a new instructor up in front of the class which keeps things real interesting. My Wife, Brother and myself all took the class together and found it to be very informative and actually pretty entertaining. It is also the only live fire class in California (at the end you get to either shoot a bow or bust a few clays with a shotgun, your choice). People fly in from around the state to take this class, and most of the advanced hunters ed classes in the state happen to be taught by the same folks that teach at this class.


I was worried that I was gonna look like a dufus as an adult in a class full of kids, but it was actually a fairly balanced mix of men, women, and kids.

Anyway... After the class you'll get your hunters ed certificate, you'll then take that to any local place that sells guns (Big 5, Wall-Mart, Mom and Pop Gun Store) and buy an annual hunting license (the hunters ed cert itself lasts a lifetime). depending on what you want to hunt, you may also need to purchase additional stamps or tags. I haven't actually gone hunting yet myself, but hope to go pheasant hunting in December and Pig hunting in the Summer.

I also highly recommend you take a look the DFG website and get familiarized with the rules: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/about/hunting/

11-17-2008, 6:16 PM
By the way, if for some reason you don't want to drive to Morgan Hill, here's a list of classes from the DFG website:


Seriously though, the Coyote Valley class is worth the drive.