PDA

View Full Version : Actually Using a COE + C&R (03 FFL) For Multi Handgun Purchases

spencerhut
11-14-2008, 11:34 AM
I just thought I'd share my experience of buying multiple handguns with my C&R and COE.

Both guns were modern, non C&R. The dealer did not seem to think I could make the purchase, legally. He based this on his own experience of running into the one per 30-Day limit himself even though he is an 01 FFL. I explained to him the C&R and COE got around the one per 30-day limit. Reluctantly he took my money and ordered my two modern handguns. When the guns arrived and it came time to do the DROS he got cold feet and called the DOJ. The person from DOJ confirmed his suspicion I in fact COULD NOT buy more than one MODERN handgun per 30 days. Multi handgun purchases were limited to C&R according to the DOJ person. I started to argue the point with my FFL (that I have known for years) and stopped myself. I looked up COE and C&R on my crackberry and found the statute in one of Anthonysmanefesto's posts, thanks.

Called DOJ and talked to Bob (nice guy). Bob immediately started out with what the intent of the law was. I told him I understood what the intent was, but the letter of the law did not specify C&R. He agreed and said he would be happy to speak to my dealer. My dealer called DOJ back at my request and got a woman, she started out giving my dealer the same line he got the first time he called, must be C&R blah blah. My dealer asked her to go get the code and read it to him, she did . . . what do you know . . . a person with a COE and a C&R can legally buy more than one modern gun every 30 days.

So, yes you can, but be prepared for a bit of hassle the first time you do.

Oh and I still have the 10 day wait on modern guns, but not C&R. Right?

ke6guj
11-14-2008, 11:46 AM
cool. Thats the way I've understand it to be, that the intent of the law was only for C&Rs, but that the actual code did not limit it to that. Thanks for taking the time to push for the actual law to be enforced.

Yes, still have 10-day wait on modern stuff. For C&Rs, you still have to DROS, but can cash-and-carry right after you do the paperwork.

DRM6000
11-14-2008, 3:51 PM
i've never had problems with my coe, but make sure the dealer does not use the "x13" code for the hsc exemption when buying a modern handgun. more than one dealer did that on my paperwork. help them not to get into trouble. :)

wilit
11-14-2008, 5:34 PM
Yes, still have 10-day wait on modern stuff. For C&Rs, you still have to DROS, but can cash-and-carry right after you do the paperwork.

Considering the hassle the OP went through just getting them to do the DROS for two modern handguns, could you imagine the look on the FFL's face if you asked to take your C&R with you prior to the 10 day wait?! :p

dfletcher
11-14-2008, 5:43 PM
Considering the hassle the OP went through just getting them to do the DROS for two modern handguns, could you imagine the look on the FFL's face if you asked to take your C&R with you prior to the 10 day wait?! :p

I had an FFL tell me an obviously 70's era Model 25 was C & R eligible and to take it away now. It wasn't of course, but I had to take a deep breath or two before saying it wasn't and waiting the 10 days instead of instant happy. I think the whole C & R thing is pretty well estabslished, but the specific benefits of C & R + COE, being not so pervasive, will take some education & exposure.