View Full Version : Major lawsuit potential - University approval required to purchase handguns

11-13-2008, 11:13 PM
University approval required to purchase handguns (Page 1)
Post Number :: 260

I am student at the University of Iowa. For those of you that are not familiar with Iowa laws, to aquire a handgun, instead of a waiting period each time you buy a handgun, you apply for a permit, wait three days for approval then you are able to purchase handgun with that permit for one year. THIS IS NOT A CARRY PERMIT, JUST A PERMIT TO ACQUIRE. I applied for my permit two weeks ago and sill had not received it so i called the sheriffs office to check the status. They sheriffs office informed me that the permit would not be approved or issued untill the University's President of Student Services approved it, and that i had to have a face to face interveiw with the president and dean of student services. I do not live on campus, nor do i have any disciplinary issues with the university. I am an NRA member, Local Gun club member, University of Iowa Sportsmans club member, and i have had a handgun permit in johnson country before and was not required these steps. it seems to me the university has somehow put themselves in the postion to deny hangun permits to students for no reason and despite meeting all legal requirements and background checks johnson county requires.

WTF? Does this sounds unreasonable or even illegal to anyone else? The only tie the university has to this situation is that i am a student. I was a student when i filled for my last permit with no problem. 3 day waiting period, background check and the sheriff would sign it. Now it seems he wont sign it untill the university gives him the go ahead. I dont see how the university has any authority in this matter, especially since i do not live on campus.

I meet with the required persons early next week and intend to ask them these same questions (they would not comment on the phone, same with sheriff)

Opinions, advice, anything......This just seems wrong to me.

follow the bouncing ball-gag here

11-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Sounds prettty messed up to me. Not knowing the law there, don't know who approves or gets a say in the process.
You know, we've got it pretty bad here in the PRK, but we still don't have FOID's like in Ill and we don't have to get approval every time to buy something like in NYS and Jersey and Iowa apparently.

11-14-2008, 1:39 AM
SInce when do educational institutions can deny one's right to legally exercise one's right outside the school premises? Do they have to apply for for a marriage license from the school? or get permission from the university president to participate in a protest outside of the school?

SOunds like a call to the NRA is in order.