PDA

View Full Version : Should I Cancel My NRA Subscription?

Paladin
11-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Over at http://www.nrapvf.org/ they have an add the "Now more than ever, every penny counts."

That got me to think about my subscription to America's 1st Freedom magazine. Most of the news in it I read about on the web a couple of months before I get the magazine. The "Armed Citizen" column gets pretty predictable after a decade or two. The other articles, while interesting, don't really benefit me that much.

Would it help the NRA if I asked them to save some money by stopping my subscription and just mail me my NRA ballot at election time?

CCWFacts
11-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Yes. I'm a member and I requested that I not receive any of their publications. I'm not interested in them, and I want all the money to go things that are productive.

hoffmang
11-14-2008, 12:13 PM
I used to not get it and now that I'm getting it again - I don't really need or want it. Most of the news I've seen online already.

-Gene

oaklander
11-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Cut off the mailing label and leave them at doctor's offices.

:D

bohoki
11-14-2008, 12:27 PM
i'm wondering what is better

one regular membership with mag

or 3 associate memberships with a couple psudeonyms to make the ranks look larger

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?CampaignID=nranews

6172crew
11-14-2008, 1:06 PM

Winner!

JohnJW
11-14-2008, 1:43 PM
Over at http://www.nrapvf.org/ they have an add the "Now more than ever, every penny counts."

That got me to think about my subscription to America's 1st Freedom magazine. Most of the news in it I read about on the web a couple of months before I get the magazine. The "Armed Citizen" column gets pretty predictable after a decade or two. The other articles, while interesting, don't really benefit me that much.

Would it help the NRA if I asked them to save some money by stopping my subscription and just mail me my NRA ballot at election time?

Try switching you subscription to American Riflemen and you won't think about giving up the subscription. I remember back in the late 90's NRA did cut back on the frequency of publication to save cost.

jumbopanda
11-14-2008, 2:54 PM
I was thinking the same thing so I've got that $10 associate membership going on right now...

H Paul Payne
11-15-2008, 8:12 AM

YEP! That's what I do!

If you're ever at the Kaiser Permanente Hospital in Riverside you might see some of my American Rifleman mags in the waiting rooms (without the labels).

BTW, It's kind of neat to come back on a future visit and find someone sitting in the waiting room reading your old magazine. ;)

Paul

Vacaville
11-15-2008, 8:28 AM

I leave them in seat pockets when I take a plane.:chris:

All kidding aside, I do look forward to my copy of American Rifleman when it comes. Not a bad mag.

kdm
11-15-2008, 8:46 AM
I've been tempted to cancel my NRA magazines, as well...but for various reasons:
1. Hate seeing advertisements for guns I can't get.
2. Noticed that all news of self-defense come from states that are
gun-friendly. Nothing from Cal.
3. Majority, if not all, legislative action being trumpeted totally ignores
California.
4. The only time California is mentioned relates to upcoming gunshows.

hoffmang
11-15-2008, 9:20 AM
I leave them in seat pockets when I take a plane.:chris:

I actually do this too.

-Gene

Shane916
11-15-2008, 12:59 PM
The American Rifleman magazine is awesome.

Like others have said you can always drop it off somewhere.

I leave mine in the breakroom at work.

Plus I think the magazines don't cost the NRA that much based on all of the advertisements inside.

Moonclip
11-15-2008, 3:17 PM
YEP! That's what I do!

If you're ever at the Kaiser Permanente Hospital in Riverside you might see some of my American Rifleman mags in the waiting rooms (without the labels).

BTW, It's kind of neat to come back on a future visit and find someone sitting in the waiting room reading your old magazine. ;)

Paul

A bunch of gun mags in a VA hospital emergency room waiting room brought me some needed comfort and relief. I wish more would do this but I feel many when seeing them dump them in trash.

Suvorov
11-15-2008, 8:42 PM
I actually do this too.

-Gene

Problem is that the pockets are usually checked during grooming and anything other than the airline magazine, flight safety card, skymall, and air sickness bags are removed. Best be would be to place your Rifleman inside the inflight magazine.

Paladin
11-16-2008, 8:18 PM

:DBest response. Unfortunately, I rarely see a doctor (1/yr max, usually). I don't think dropping in at his office at other times or someone else's office to dump off a bunch of gun mags will go over well, esp in the area I live. :mad:

I'll give the NRA a call tomorrow and see what they advise.

Thanks all for the comments.