View Full Version : ? about transporting and transfering handgun from california to another state.

11-13-2008, 5:13 PM
I purchased a hand gun in California for my dad as a gift. My dad lives in Washington. I am going on a road trip to visit and would like to give him the gun while I am in Washington visiting. Are there any laws against transporting the weapon from California to Washington. I know I must obey all laws from state to state but is there anything else I should know? When I get to Washington can I just do a regular PPT or is there another way I am supposed to do it. Thanks in advance.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-13-2008, 5:27 PM
There are no laws against transporting a handgun from California to Washington (I'm assuming you mean state and not DC).

If you keep the gun unloaded and locked in your trunk then you will be protected by Federal law from any State or local restrictions you might encounter on your interstate journey.

To legally transfer the handgun to your father you will need to go through an FFL in Washington. They will charge you a fee. Call some gunshops local to your father and see what they will charge.

11-13-2008, 5:29 PM
That is what I thought but in this day and age you never know. Thank you for answering.