PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Questionaire

tiki
11-13-2008, 2:08 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/us/politics/13apply.html?no_interstitial

A seven-page questionnaire being sent by the office of President-elect Barack Obama to those seeking cabinet and other high-ranking posts may be the most extensive — some say invasive — application ever.

The questionnaire includes 63 requests for personal and professional records, some covering applicants’ spouses and grown children as well, that are forcing job-seekers to rummage from basements to attics, in shoe boxes, diaries and computer archives to document both their achievements and missteps.

Only the smallest details are excluded; traffic tickets carrying fines of less than $50 need not be reported, the application says. Applicants are asked whether they or anyone in their family owns a gun. They must include any e-mail that might embarrass the president-elect, along with any blog posts and links to their Facebook pages.

Vacaville
11-13-2008, 2:19 PM
Do you blame him? Anyone in political office has to be squeaky clean or else someone will dig up the dirt and make an issue out of it. It has nothing to do with party and has everything to do with our modern methods of obtaining information and then the ability to broadcast it widely. The sad thing is that means these guys are not normal! How the hell can someone relate to the common man when they've never done anything wrong or had some adversity in their life?

_Odin_
11-13-2008, 2:21 PM
I'd like to know the reasoning for asking a question like that - I'm assuming it's to weed out potential firearm enthusiasts (?)

Not surprisingly, gun owners get no say in the Obama Administration. =/

mothergreen
11-13-2008, 2:26 PM
what about their grades in college :cool2:

tiki
11-13-2008, 2:37 PM
I'd like to know the reasoning for asking a question like that - I'm assuming it's to weed out potential firearm enthusiasts (?)

Yep. No gun enthusiasts in the administration. No voice, no opposition.

WolfMansDad
11-13-2008, 2:41 PM
Joe Biden has a Beretta. :p

BroncoBob
11-13-2008, 3:06 PM
Joe Biden has a Beretta. :p

And a shotgun or two........

CCWFacts
11-13-2008, 3:09 PM
And a shotgun or two........

I MUST CLARIFY! He has a Beretta shotgun, not a Beretta handgun. When he said, "he's not messing with my Beretta", he was not saying, "he's not messing with semi-auto handguns." No, Biden was saying, "he's not messing with over-under sporting shotguns." Gee, no one is messing with those. Those aren't on anyone's ban list. He's saying, "Obama doesn't want to ban guns which no one else wants to ban", not, "Obama isn't going to ban handguns".

According to Biden's statement, he owns two conventional sporting over-under shotguns, so using those as a litmus test for gun rights is... meaningless.

WolfMansDad
11-13-2008, 3:34 PM
Somehow, when Joe Biden says my Beretta over/under is safe, I just don't believe him.

The thing that got me into the gun-rights movement was trying to buy that Beretta over and under just a few years ago. I had to fill out a bunch of paperwork, get background checked, FINGERPRINTED, and then wait ten days to "cool off." I was appalled and offended at being treated like a criminal for such an innocuous (I thought) purchase. I hunted a lot when I was a kid, then got out of it for several years while finishing school and starting a family. Trying to get back into it, I was shocked to see how far things had gone downhill in those few short years.

Make no mistake, if they ever successfully ban scary black rifles and handguns, they will go after bolt-action deer rifles (they will call them "sniper rifles") and double-barreled shotguns next.

CCWFacts
11-13-2008, 3:44 PM
Make no mistake, if they ever successfully ban scary black rifles and handguns, they will go after ... double-barreled shotguns next.

I'm not trying to make excuses or defend gun banners, but...

Conventional hunting / sporting shotguns (double-barrels) are legal pretty much everywhere in the world, including Japan, the UK, they were available even in the USSR. Yes, with lots of licensing requirements etc in these countries, but... there are very few places in the world where sporting double-barrel shotgun is banned. (I believe they are absolutely banned in Singapore, Taiwan, and maybe a few other places.)

My reason for emphasizing this is that it shows how deceitful Biden's statement was. He was saying, "Obama isn't going to ban a type of gun which happens to be banned almost nowhere". It's a way of telling a lie without telling a lie.

megavolt121
11-13-2008, 4:12 PM

Not surprisingly, gun owners get no say in the Obama Administration. =/

Look at the other 62 questions. They even ask if you've had live-in lovers.

This question was asked as a Cover your @ss situation, not a 2A.

RRangel
11-13-2008, 6:21 PM
The backrgound of those in his administration is important, but never Obama's own. What irony from a president elect with a shady past.

oddball
11-13-2008, 6:55 PM
I wonder if Obama could pass his own questionaire/security clearance...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=128213&highlight=obama+security+clearance

forgiven
11-13-2008, 7:46 PM
I wonder if Obama could pass his own questionaire/security clearance...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=128213&highlight=obama+security+clearance

:no:

grammaton76
11-13-2008, 7:48 PM
Nobody said that any of the answers was an instant disqualifier, or that it's pass/fail.

Knowing about the skeletons in folks' closets may be important to watch for (R) flak, even in folks they're going to take in anyway.

C'mon, you know me and I'm absolutely no Obama fan. But the man's free to do what he wants in his questionaire.