PDA

View Full Version : A non-gun legal question

EOD3
11-12-2008, 9:54 PM
If I wanted to initiate a class action law suit against multiple parties, how should I proceed?

DedEye
11-12-2008, 9:59 PM
Find a lawyer who will take the case.

+ All.

You have your answer.

PM Oaklander or Ohsmily.

RomanDad
11-12-2008, 10:23 PM
If I wanted to initiate a class action law suit against multiple parties, how should I proceed?

You normally cant have a "class action suit" against multiple parties.... A class action suit is MULTIPLE PLAINTIFFS with a common injury caused by a common defendant.

oaklander
11-12-2008, 10:34 PM
RomanDad is right - but you can have multiple defendants in a class action. At my "day" job I work for a law firm that does class actions.

pm me if you have any q's. . .

You normally cant have a "class action suit" against multiple parties.... A class action suit is MULTIPLE PLAINTIFFS with a common injury caused by a common defendant.

Whiskey_Sauer
11-13-2008, 10:46 AM
It’s complicated, and you generally cannot do this without a lawyer experienced in class actions. But generally, a class action involves a “common question” which may permit the suit to be maintained by a representative on behalf of a group of persons, if the procedure is both necessary and superior to separate lawsuits. Generally, two requirements must exist to sustain a class action: “The first is existence of an ascertainable class, and the second is a well-defined community of interest in the questions of law and fact involved.” If the court finds that the case should proceed as a class action, it certifies the action as such. However, if it finds that the requirements have not been met, or that the burdens of a class action outweigh any benefits, it dismisses the class action allegations, in which case the matter can still continue as an individual action.

Lex Arma
11-13-2008, 1:17 PM
It’s complicated, and you generally cannot do this without a lawyer experienced in class actions. But generally, a class action involves a “common question” which may permit the suit to be maintained by a representative on behalf of a group of persons, if the procedure is both necessary and superior to separate lawsuits. Generally, two requirements must exist to sustain a class action: “The first is existence of an ascertainable class, and the second is a well-defined community of interest in the questions of law and fact involved.” If the court finds that the case should proceed as a class action, it certifies the action as such. However, if it finds that the requirements have not been met, or that the burdens of a class action outweigh any benefits, it dismisses the class action allegations, in which case the matter can still continue as an individual action.

AND....,

Class actions may only be brought by lawyers - no pro pers,

The lawyer bringing the class action must have already done one, or associate counsel who has done one,

They are generally a dumb idea when it comes to civil rights suits.

RomanDad
11-13-2008, 2:58 PM
Guys... Again... I dont think he means a "Class action suit." I think he means a suit with Multiple defendants? Maybe? (Ive heard lay people misuse this particular term A LOT).