PDA

View Full Version : Connedfussed?

686Plus
11-12-2008, 9:02 PM
Forgive me if this has been discussed a million times, but...

I was at at a local shop yesterday browsing for my next 1911 purchase when I slipped into a discussion about AR-type rifles with the man behind the counter.

After listening to him talk for a few minutes I was exhausted. He basically talked me out of getting into the AR-type rifle unless I want a plastic (S&W) sealed mag well variant (which I do not). He has me thinking I will be a felon if I buy a lower receiver and build it. He was not having any of the non-removable (requiring a tool) magazine talk.

The real disappointment of the conversation was his rant about magazine safety disconnect. I really didn't know what to believe after talking with him.

He says January 2009 all semi-auto handguns sold in California must have a magazine safety disconnect.

He would have me buy'em quick.. and assures me that in 5-10 years I will not be able to buy a hand gun in California

sorensen440
11-12-2008, 9:04 PM
Forgive me if this has been discussed a million times, but...

I was at at a local shop yesterday browsing for my next 1911 purchase when I slipped into a discussion about AR-type rifles with the man behind the counter.

After listening to him talk for a few minutes I was exhausted. He basically talked me out of getting into the AR-type rifle unless I want a plastic (S&W) sealed mag well variant (which I do not). He has me thinking I will be a felon if I buy a lower receiver and build it. He was not having any of the non-removable (requiring a tool) magazine talk.

The real disappointment of the conversation was his rant about magazine safety disconnect. I really didn't know what to believe after talking with him.

He says January 2009 all semi-auto handguns sold in California must have a magazine safety disconnect.

He would have me buy'em quick.. and assures me that in 5-10 years I will not be able to buy a hand gun in California

He obviosly doesnt know what he is talking about in relation to the Ar's

Asfor the handgun he is either a liar or a fool
no new guns will be added to the list of approved handguns without a MD
it does not mean that ones already on the list will be affected at all

Captain Evilstomper
11-12-2008, 9:12 PM
when you talk to some gunshops, they aren't willing to risk being audited (even though OLLs are legal) and possibly losing money from being shut down due to said audits. I was at The Gun Room in Elk Grove and had entirely the exact conversation with them about the issues of OLLs and legality.
Personally i think that it interferes with the gun store mentality that they know so much more than you. It doesn't work if you can build your own gun. challenges the employees and they don't like it.
Plus how else are they going to sell their bushmaster complete filled magwell rifles for $1600 if you can build your own?;)

sorensen440
11-12-2008, 9:16 PM
what shop was this by the way???

DedEye
11-12-2008, 9:34 PM
what shop was this by the way???

+1 I'm curious as well.

Magazine disconnects (as well as loaded chamber indicators) are already a required feature on all new handguns that are to be added to the "Safe" handgun roster in CA.

sigsauer887
11-12-2008, 9:36 PM
I'm sorry you have a weak sauce gun store.

SanSacto
11-12-2008, 9:53 PM
I'm sorry you have a weak sauce gun store.

Hehehe.....weak sauce!

686Plus
11-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Besides this one conversation, I've always had good experiences at this shop and don't want to speak trash about them b/c of one guy giving his speech.

I think we just have to have our facts straight.

Thanks for the info.

CHS
11-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Have fun with your sealed-magwell AR's :)

tmuller
11-13-2008, 11:34 AM
FUD, I'm interested in what shop as well since I don't know your location. Avoid that shop like the plague there are too many good shops out there that know the law to spend your time and money somewhere they don't. Best of luck with your new AR.

CSACANNONEER
11-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Have fun with your sealed-magwell AR's :)

I know I do! I registered my FAB10 as a 50BMG! OK, I also have fun with my open mag well lowers too!

686Plus
11-13-2008, 5:57 PM
Can you buy a complete assembled AR-type at Crossroads, or any other shops in the Bay Area (Santa Clara area), or do you have to buy the complete lower and pick it up at the Gun Vault and assemble it at home?

I kind of like the idea of building it from scratch but if I can find a complete rifle then I might go that route.

I guess I'm going to stop by the Gun Vault tomorrow, I've only been there once and they seem like good people.

686+

DedEye
11-14-2008, 1:49 AM
Can you buy a complete assembled AR-type at Crossroads, or any other shops in the Bay Area (Santa Clara area), or do you have to buy the complete lower and pick it up at the Gun Vault and assemble it at home?

I kind of like the idea of building it from scratch but if I can find a complete rifle then I might go that route.

I guess I'm going to stop by the Gun Vault tomorrow, I've only been there once and they seem like good people.

686+

I'm sure the Gun Vault must have complete ARs available. If not, check City Arms in Pacifica or Irvington Arms in Fremont. If all else fails, head even further north to Bullseye in San Rafael ;).