PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking in a bobcat video

spectr17
11-12-2008, 8:17 AM
I was deer hunting near San Diego CA and saw this bobcat sneaking along the hillside. I squeaked a couple "kisses of death" and the bobcat came up so close I finally had to put the camcorder down and shoo him away before he pounced on me.

I had bobcat tags in my pack too. Time to get a double gun.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rphvzgandac&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rphvzgandac&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

StraightShooter
11-12-2008, 8:30 AM
Thats awesome! Is that in the Cleveland National Forest? Im just waiting for gray fox season. Ive got a place crawling with foxes.

WhoDat
11-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Wow!

Just curious - what did you have with you? Why didn't you take the shot?

Great video! Thanks for sharing!

GenLee
11-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

5150Marcelo
11-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Sweet kitty!

spectr17
11-12-2008, 11:51 AM
I had a .300 Winmag in my lap. Would have made a mess out of that bobcat hide.

Gryff
11-12-2008, 3:37 PM
Why didn't you take the shot?

Why would you take the shot? You're not going to eat it, it's not a true threat to you, it's not a pest that needs to be eradicated. Glad to see you aren't a kill-it-if-it-moves kind of guy.

WhoDat
11-12-2008, 6:38 PM
Understood...

Again, Cool video!

I had a .300 Winmag in my lap. Would have made a mess out of that bobcat hide.

spectr17
11-13-2008, 7:06 AM
Why would you take the shot?

Because I want the pelt. Bobcat is bringing $400 for a good western hide nowdays. A mount would be one reason. One other reason is bobcats are hard on the quail and turkeys.

skateboarder74
11-13-2008, 7:29 AM
$400 a pelt! I could feed my Family for a month on that.
Shoot everything, let God sort them out.

Gryff
11-13-2008, 8:12 AM
One other reason is bobcats are hard on the quail and turkeys.

That's because they eat them.

Sorry, but if it isn't for food, I just don't get the hunting thing.

CavTrooper
11-13-2008, 8:37 AM
Sorry, but if it isn't for food, I just don't get the hunting thing.

Understatement of the day.

Ill try and explain.

Quail are tasty, me and the bobcats think so.

Too many bobcats eating the quail, means less quail for me.

I shoot bobcats, they dont eat quail, I get cool bobcat mount.

Win!

Gryff
11-13-2008, 8:47 AM
I shoot bobcats, they don't eat quail, I get cool bobcat mount.

Win!

Oh...kind of like the Japanese fisherman that slaughter dolphins because they eat all the fish. Got it.

CavTrooper
11-13-2008, 8:52 AM
Oh...kind of like the Japanese fisherman that slaughter dolphins because they eat all the fish. Got it.

Except the dolphins dont have awsome pelts.

More like clubbing baby seals.

:cool:

skateboarder74
11-13-2008, 9:01 AM
Maybe we should slaughter people so they don't hunt bobcat?

Gryff
11-13-2008, 9:04 AM
Except the dolphins dont have awsome pelts.

More like clubbing baby seals.

:cool:

True. And you need that trophy to prove your evolutionary superiority and manhood...oh wait...you didn't use your bare hands or a knife...you used a high-powered rifle from a nice, safe distance away. Never mind.

skateboarder74
11-13-2008, 9:06 AM
WOW!

CavTrooper
11-13-2008, 9:10 AM
True. And you need that trophy to prove your evolutionary superiority and manhood...oh wait...you didn't use your bare hands or a knife...you used a high-powered rifle from a nice, safe distance away. Never mind.

Oh, wow, you showed me.

Excellent demonstration of your intellectual and moral superiority, thank you, I will change my ways now.

skateboarder74
11-13-2008, 9:13 AM
You know me to!
Nothing like a city slicker to show me the light!

Gryff
11-13-2008, 9:17 AM
Maybe we should slaughter people so they don't hunt bobcat?

Nope. But killing just-because-you-can seems rather pointless to me. Bobcats aren't a valid threat to people, they aren't disease vectors, they don't decimate animal populations that people rely on for their nutritional needs or revenue to sustain their family.

I don't like hunting at all, but I get it that there is a necessity or a practical purpose. Deer meat is good AND it helps keep populations down to control starvation. Coyotes are threats to cattle, sheep, chickens, children, etc., and will overly acclimate to human habitats if not controlled. Ground squirrels are vectors for plague and also undermine things like levies and embankments.

But shooting it from 100+ yards away just because it would look good stuffed or skinned seems ecologically destructive (aside from cowardly).

Gryff
11-13-2008, 9:19 AM
You know me to!
Nothing like a city slicker to show me the light!

Yeah, I know. If I was a redneck, I might understand the compulsion better.

skateboarder74
11-13-2008, 9:35 AM
I can see the purpose of your quote now.
"My friends and family deny all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions"

CavTrooper
11-13-2008, 9:53 AM
I don't like hunting at all...

... (aside from cowardly).

You dont like hunting at all, so youve decided to troll the hunting forum?

Im cowardly, and a redneck, eh?

I hunt, drive a truck, eat meat and OWN GUNS to make up for my lack of manhood. :rolleyes:

I think your cover is slipping gryff.

CavTrooper
11-13-2008, 9:55 AM
...you used a high-powered rifle from a nice, safe distance away. Never mind.

Hey guy!

I use shotguns too! ;)

Gryff
11-13-2008, 11:21 AM
I can see the purpose of your quote now.
"My friends and family deny all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions"

+1 :D

You don't like hunting at all, so you've decided to troll the hunting forum?

Valid point. I posted without realizing the forum it was in (found the thread through a New Posts search). For that, I apologize.

I think your cover is slipping gryff.

No, I am who I am. Unapologetically and unabashedly so. I disagree with some forms of hunting, but as you pointed out correctly, debating it here was more trolling than debating. My bad and I'll back off.

CavTrooper
11-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Valid point. I posted without realizing the forum it was in (found the thread through a New Posts search). For that, I apologize.

No, I am who I am. Unapologetically and unabashedly so. I disagree with some forms of hunting, but as you pointed out correctly, debating it here was more trolling than debating. My bad and I'll back off.

Fair 'nuff.

So long.

professionalcoyotehunter
11-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks for stopping to cry here.

spectr17
11-13-2008, 2:03 PM
Someone please hand me a tissue, I'm getting all weepy now myself.

Gunaria
11-13-2008, 6:17 PM
Because I want the pelt. Bobcat is bringing $400 for a good western hide nowdays. A mount would be one reason. One other reason is bobcats are hard on the quail and turkeys.

Dang $400 bucks. I am off to go get me some kittah tags tomorrow. There something like $17 for 5.

Is a .25-20 to much for a bob or can a .22LR do? It seems most hunters like the .22 mag for them.

Moonclip
11-14-2008, 12:15 AM
I hope we find out if .25-20 works! Kittys, here I come!