PDA

View Full Version : "Conversion Kit" = parts ban?

Bruin
11-11-2008, 6:44 PM
I'm a little confused about language in HR 1022. Namely:

`(37) Conversion Kit- The term `conversion kit' means any part or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a firearm into a semiautomatic assault weapon, and any combination of parts from which a semiautomatic assault weapon can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

If this language was introduced in a bill, would this ban parts such as triggers, LPKs, bolt carriers, springs, etc.? :confused:

Thanks

jdberger
11-11-2008, 6:48 PM
Sounds like constructive possession.

Let's say you have a Cali-neutered AR. Open magwell, MM grip, no FH, etc.

And you still have in your garage the original pistol grip and FH that you swapped out to make the rifle CA legal -

You could potentially be prosecuted for having a "conversion kit".

Bruin
11-11-2008, 6:52 PM
Oh ok thanks :)

So the language probably would not ban the sale of replacement parts like a firing pin?

Edit: I'm mostly just worried about making sure the ARs I will have before any ban, should it take place, can be kept in working order with new parts.

sigsauer887
11-11-2008, 7:00 PM
HR 1022 died a while ago. What they meant by conversion kit was this.

Lets say somehow this ban was introduced, passed, and signed by the president. And the dealers decided to sell NEUTERED rifles, as in rifles with no pistol grips, no gas system to make it a bolt action as defined by law (this is what the Australians did), or other evil features, and you somehow were in possession of parts to convert this post ban rifle into an assault weapon, you would be guilty of a crime.

sigsauer887
11-11-2008, 7:02 PM
Sounds like constructive possession.

Let's say you have a Cali-neutered AR. Open magwell, MM grip, no FH, etc.

And you still have in your garage the original pistol grip and FH that you swapped out to make the rifle CA legal -

You could potentially be prosecuted for having a "conversion kit".

Actually in this case no. You would be entirely in the clear since your rifle would be considered pre-ban and not post ban since it would have been made before the bill. The bill only effects Post ban weapons, the firearm you mention is supposedly pre-ban.

motorhead
11-12-2008, 10:43 AM
i believe this was to target things like saiga conversions.

JDay
11-12-2008, 11:48 AM
The part of that bill that had me real worried last year was this part defining a pistol grip.

(42) Pistol Grip- The term `pistol grip' means a grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip.

To me that would be any part of the rifle that you could hold onto.