PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes are eating all my friends baby goats and he asked me for HELP...

ENTHUSIAST
11-11-2008, 2:24 PM
He just lost his 3rd cute lil baby goat to some East County San Diego 'yotes and he pleaded with me to come down to his 9 acre property and begin eradicating the LARGE coyote pack that is picking off his heard of goats!!! :43:

I have never hunted coyotes before and I need some advice I just read the "school me on hunting coyotes" thread and wanted to know specifically about San Diego Coyotes...?

I have heard about calls are they inexpensive and where can I get one in SD TODAY!?!

Also the owner said that they are so brave that he sees them EVERY night but says a FULL MOON is the best???

Also, he said that he was thinking about putting a baby goat in a cage to draw them in... it is on his property is this OK?

EDIT: I heard about scent attracting them and since they like goat so much, I was gonna take a clean change of clothes and rub them on the goats to camo my scent and attract them further... does this sound like a good idea or will I just smell funny?!?

I was gonna bring my Saiga 7.62x39 since I still havnt sighted in my AR since Border Patol put an early end to the Broke Back Mountain 2 shoot!!! :mad:

Is an AK OK for 'yotes? :D

THANKS GUYS,
-enthusiast

Army GI
11-11-2008, 2:25 PM
aw, poor little kids

Frijolito1988
11-11-2008, 2:26 PM
Sounds like your gonna have a fun nite tonight :43:

Sydwaiz
11-11-2008, 2:29 PM
Illegal to bait them. But if it's legal to shoot on his property, have a blast!

Need help? :D

Gunaria
11-11-2008, 2:37 PM
I think it is a full moon tonight.

Saigon1965
11-11-2008, 2:38 PM
You need to PM CavTrooper for some help -

ghost
11-11-2008, 2:40 PM
yes your ak is more than enough to put a few of them down;)

ElvenSoul
11-11-2008, 2:42 PM
ummm speaking from personal experience...but you might want to bring something in .308 just in case a mountain lion decides to show up
.223 just seems to annoy them

ENTHUSIAST
11-11-2008, 2:49 PM
ummm speaking from personal experience...but you might want to bring something in .308 just in case a mountain lion decides to show up
.223 just seems to annoy them

7.62x39 will take care of any of the scrawny predators where I am going... if I need anything bigger than that I would just RUN! :p

Jicko
11-11-2008, 3:06 PM
CAN I COME!?!??

ghostwong
11-11-2008, 3:09 PM
If you some more spotters or help PM me. I have a few guys ready to thin out the population for you.

Fjold
11-11-2008, 3:12 PM
Check with the county regulations to make sure that your friend's property is legal for hunting. Get a hunting license.

If the yotes are hunting your friends goats, set up 100 yards away and wait for the coyotes to come for them. Just make sure that it's a coyote and not a goat before you shoot.

liketoshoot
11-11-2008, 3:32 PM
+1 on the hunting license! the rest should be OK.

M. Sage
11-11-2008, 4:00 PM
I'd just try hanging out near the goats, and wait for the coyotes to come in after them.

aw, poor little kids

ROFL!!!!

tankerman
11-11-2008, 4:05 PM
Watch out - it may be Chupacabras.

Good thing is you don't need a hunting license for them.

http://www.mysticcreatures.info/chupacabra2.jpg

pullnshoot25
11-11-2008, 4:12 PM
I am so down for that if you need help! I have a .22Mag that is just BEGGING FOR BLOOD!

pullnshoot25
11-11-2008, 4:13 PM
Watch out - it may be Chupacabras.

Good thing is you don't need a hunting license for them.

http://www.mysticcreatures.info/chupacabra2.jpg

HAHAHHAA!

Darklyte27
11-11-2008, 4:39 PM
what a fun job!
ive seen some shows where guys do that for a job. get called out to shoot wild boars or other animals killing or messing up their crop.

basing110
11-11-2008, 4:40 PM
alright lets get a group hunt going i am so down if its legal on his property.. ill bring the beowulf it has a light on it haha

Darklyte27
11-11-2008, 4:44 PM
that would vaporize the coyotes haha
it would be prob quick and painless too

CavTrooper
11-11-2008, 4:51 PM
Illegal to bait them. But if it's legal to shoot on his property, have a blast!

Need help? :D

Negative ghostrider, baiting is perfectly legal when not used in conjuction with dogs.

475. Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Nongame Mammals.

Nongame birds and nongame mammals may be taken in any manner except as follows:

(e) No feed, bait or other material capable of attracting a nongame mammal may be placed or used in conjunction with dogs for the purpose of taking any nongame mammals. Nothing in this section shall prohibit an individual operating in accordance with the provisions of Section 465.5 from using a dog to follow a trap drag and taking the nongame mammal caught in that trap.

Sydwaiz
11-11-2008, 5:04 PM
DOH! I stand corrected. Thanks Cav!

smokingloon
11-11-2008, 5:05 PM
I will volunteer my time to help you eradicate this infestation.

jcaoloveshine
11-11-2008, 5:10 PM
I'm 100 miles away and a scope and a hunting license away from helping. Doh.

Rumpled
11-11-2008, 5:24 PM
Have your friend check with DF&G about a depradation permit.
This may help the situation.
Also, make sure everyone has a hunting license and that lights and night shooting and shooting in general are legal in the location. This would involve checking DF&G regs as well as any local and/or county reg's.

Also, your friend should consider his current animal housing situation and see if could be improved.

SJgunguy24
11-11-2008, 5:33 PM
Would Barrett M82 be..........overkill?:43:

Fjold
11-11-2008, 6:30 PM
Would Barrett M82 be..........overkill?:43:

There is no such thing as overkill. When I get bored I whack ground squirrels with my 375 H&H Magnum

viras
11-11-2008, 6:45 PM
hey ENTHUSIAST... I'm down to help if you need it. My Saiga .308 could be useful... :13:

Let's make a video of it!

devildog999
11-11-2008, 7:26 PM
I WANNA KILL SOME COYOTES :(

I would think with live bait, you might not even have to worry about calls ;)

pullnshoot25
11-11-2008, 8:32 PM
One needs a hunting license to hunt coyotes? I thought they were fair game whenever?

Riodog
11-11-2008, 8:40 PM
One needs a hunting license to hunt coyotes? I thought they were fair game whenever?

Calif and Az you need a license but not in Nevada.

Enthusiast, just sit under a tree and sound like a rabbit, that'll bring them in.
Oh yeah, watch out above yer head cuz sometimes owls get hungry too.
Rio:D

Sydwaiz
11-11-2008, 8:56 PM
Well, since you CAN bait them, set out some fresh meat and a big bottle of tannerite next to it......! :43:

JDay
11-11-2008, 9:12 PM
Check with the county regulations to make sure that your friend's property is legal for hunting. Get a hunting license.

You don't need a hunting license to shoot any animal that is messing with your livestock.

Deadred7o7
11-11-2008, 10:33 PM
264. Use of Lights While Hunting--Specific Areas.

(a) Lights of any size or voltage may be used to take furbearing or nongame mammals only in the areas described in subsections (b) and (c) below, and only under the following conditions:

(c) Zone 2. (Portions of Inyo, Kern, Los Angeles, Mono and San Bernardino counties and all of Imperial, Orange, Riverside and San Diego counties.)

264.5. Use of Lights While Hunting--Remainder of State.

Lights may be used, in those portions of the state not listed in Section 264, to take furbearers and nongame mammals under the following conditions only:

(a) Only 9 volt lights or smaller, hand-held or worn on the head are permitted.

(b) Persons using such lights must be on foot.

(c) Lights may not be used in or from a vehicle and may not be attached or powered from any source other than self-contained batteries.

(d) A landowner or tenant suffering damage to livestock or other property by furbearing mammals or nongame mammals may designate, in writing, persons allowed by such landowner or tenant to use artificial lights in excess of 9 volts to assist in taking the depredating mammals. The landowner or tenants shall notify the closest fish and game office whenever furbearing or nongame mammals are taken under this authority.

bleek
11-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Hunting them with a rifle is unfair. Wound them with a .22 pistol and go in for the kill hand to hand with a good blade. Should be loads of fun, and a great story to boot, although I have heard some of the SD coyotes may know Krav Maga.

Fantasma
11-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Hunting them with a rifle is unfair. Wound them with a .22 pistol and go in for the kill hand to hand with a good blade. Should be loads of fun, and a great story to boot, although I have heard some of the SD coyotes may know Krav Maga.

Uhmmmm :eek:

:reddevil:

bleek
11-11-2008, 10:59 PM
LOL

pullnshoot25
11-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Please, pick me, pick me! OH, OH, I have a rifle!

ElvenSoul
11-11-2008, 11:04 PM
7.62x39 will take care of any of the scrawny predators where I am going... if I need anything bigger than that I would just RUN! :p

7.62x39 will do the job...seen a mountain lion taken down with a 30-30 before, of course that lion was carrying a 250lb bull mastif in it's mouth

pullnshoot25
11-11-2008, 11:04 PM

Tomahawks work well too ;)

bleek
11-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Tomahawks work well too ;)

:iagree: Now that is old school.:7:

Spiggy
11-11-2008, 11:27 PM
:D make it on a good day and I'll be more than happy to drive down from orange county

dadoody
11-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Can we form a posse? :) I want to be in a posse. I got this duster coat, cowboy hat, and bullet bandoleer just collecting dust.

Seesm
11-11-2008, 11:49 PM
My first and only Coyote kill was on my 11 acres.

...For over 2 weeks, they kept coming up to the house bugging the dogs with us sitting right there in plain.

So I loaded up the sporterized Mauser and took him down at about 200+ feet...

I was pumped and got the hunting pic just like on the TV shows... :)

8mm seems to drop em fast...

Have fun whoever goes...

JDay
11-12-2008, 12:03 AM
I was looking around the net trying to find the part of the CA PC that deals with animals harming livestock when I found this.

Use Negative Reinforcement: If coyotes begin frequenting your neighborhood, let them know they are not welcome.Make loud noises, throw rocks, or spray them with a garden hose. For everyone’s safety,it is essential that coyotes retain their natural wariness of humans.

Report Threats and Attacks Immediately: If you see a coyote behaving aggressively or attacking people, contact the nearest officeof the California Department of Fish and Game during regular business hours: Mondaythrough Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. If an encounter or attack occurs after businesshours, call the Department of Fish and Game’s 24-hour dispatch center at (916) 445-0045. The Department will take appropriate action.For more information, contact the California Department of Fish and Game – SouthernCalifornia Office at (909) 484-0167

I'll post an update later when I find the relevant section but I would give them a call.

N6ATF
11-12-2008, 12:56 AM
Use Negative Reinforcement: Swiss cheese some of the coyotes and stick them on pikes along your fence line.

JDay
11-12-2008, 3:43 AM
Use Negative Reinforcement: Swiss cheese some of the coyotes and stick them on pikes along your fence line.

I've heard that marking your territory by pissing on some fence posts helps keep them away too.

elsolo
11-12-2008, 5:31 AM
Well, since you CAN bait them, set out some fresh meat and a big bottle of tannerite next to it......! :43:

Nice!

kermit315
11-12-2008, 6:59 AM
^^ haha

glockman19
11-12-2008, 7:06 AM
CAN I COME!?!??
Me Too...:)
I have a valid hunting license.

Sutcliffe
11-12-2008, 8:03 AM
I've heard that marking your territory by pissing on some fence posts helps keep them away too.
I've pissed all over my back yard and it hasn't kept anything out.

Probably not a pack of coyotes. I think that they would do more damage than that in one night. Shooting them is fine, but they always seem to step up breeding in response to eradication. Have you looked into a guard dog(anatolian shepherd, etc.) or even donkeys?
Donkeys have an instinctive hatred for all canines and work wonders. They can be a little detrimental to household dogs though.
Good lluck

professionalcoyotehunter
11-12-2008, 8:07 AM
Let me know if you need any help I can use my bow if you don't have much property. I am a guide but I will volunteer a weekend for some good target practice.

professionalcoyotehunter
11-12-2008, 8:09 AM
Also if you need any tips tricks or hints just hit me up. I am a fully licensed insured and certified guide.

basing110
11-12-2008, 11:43 AM
im in in lets get this meet and greet organized im in san diego and ready just loaded up some 334gr JHP .. whos bringing the giant rotissery?

ENTHUSIAST
11-12-2008, 1:13 PM
WOW, Thanks for all the offers and PMs guys!!! I would LOVE to make this an official CalGuns SoCal Predator Group Hunt, but I think a PACK of 40+ CalGunners geared up from head to toe shooting everything from .22Mag - .50Beowulf might just scare off the coyotes...

...did I mention they are VERY wily, yes they are very WILY COYOTES! :D

UPDATE:
So I went down to the property and we put a single goat in a cage just a little way away from the rest of the herd in a clearing near the canyon that the owner said he sees the coyotes come from. My friend and I went about 50 yards uphill and hid in a large crack between two boulders, the kid (baby goat) cried out for about 2 hours while we waited motionless. We heard some game birds but no 'yotes :mad: it got kinda cold so we decided to call it and come back another night.

A few things to point out the property is actually a lot larger than I first thought my friend's site is 9 acres but it is actually his neighbor that is losing his livestock and his property has 20+ acres! :)

Also, the guy is an old Vet and he likes to keep to himself kind of a hermit type, he is also a little off upstairs...

There is NO phone/electricity on his property :eek: and the place looks like Mars because his animals devoured the entire landscaping. We drive down this dusty dirt road for a few miles park off the side of the road. Then hump 2 rifles and gear up an unmaintained 4x4 ONLY dirt road uphill about 500 yards...only to be greeted by GUNSHOTS :28: (Yes he knew we were coming to his property my friend spoke to him the day before and he told him we would stop by either tomorrow or the next day!)

As I hid behind my Pelican Case my friend yells out, "Its me (first and last name) you crazy old fool STOP #@&*ing SHOOTING AT US DAMN IT!"

Then he is like, "Oh its just you, my dog was barkin' and I thought it was them coyotes after my goats again!"

Then he just laughs and I introduce myself as the Coyote Exterminator and he loads the most talkative baby into a carry cage and we follow him to the spot where he last seen them.

Note this guy has a rather large herd of goats and his pens look very make shift like random pieces of fence connected together and he says he can't secure them enough to keep the 'yotes out.

Also, I asked him since he has a gun why doesnt he just take care of them himself and he said his vision is bad and he cant really see them very well at night.

I think I will give CavTrooper a call later this week if he still wants to go after reading this story! ;)

P.S. When we were driving back down the dirt road we could hear them yelping and barking they are definitely still nearby, but I think we scared them out of the area with all the commotion and racket that was made on our arrival...

Your thoughts?
-enthusiast

Sydwaiz
11-12-2008, 2:37 PM
My Windrunner should do the trick too! :43:

pullnshoot25
11-14-2008, 11:19 AM
My Windrunner should do the trick too! :43:

+1 for that. Take videos, I want to see some guts flying!

StraightShooter
11-14-2008, 11:43 AM
+1 for that. Take videos, I want to see some guts flying!

What is with you and your fascination with gore? Im surprised you aren out in the woods with your hatchet again trying to hack a coyote to pieces.

tommyid1
11-14-2008, 1:51 PM
why not improve the housing of his other animals. they will get fed up and bounce once they figure out they cant get in.

RobT2K
11-15-2008, 2:49 PM
PM sent.
I'm a coyote hunter in San diego (east county too), always glad to help out where I can. From the sound of it they were yelping at you guys, but not backing down. That means they think you were on their territory, we've got to change that.