PDA

View Full Version : Why do you need multiple Uppers/Lowers?

b25
11-11-2008, 11:01 AM
I know many of you are what some would deem "gun nuts", but setting that and the canned "because I can" response aside, why do you feel compelled to have multiple lowers, uppers, barrels, etc?

This is a serious question - I'm honestly trying to understand if I'm missing out or somehow making a fatal mistake by not getting a second lower and/or upper, LPK, barrel, etc.

Are you anticipating your upper/lower to be out of spec and or inoperable in a couple of years, thus the need for the additional parts/guns?

Thanks in advance for any/all serious responses.
-b

sorensen440
11-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Mostly for the purpose of different calibers and combination's

Gator Monroe
11-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Men have collector genes ( Cars ,Motorbikes,boats,Airplanes,stamps,...:)

Futurecollector
11-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Do to the new Regime that is going to be in office, many people are insecure about our OLL'S being legal in a year or so. Therefore stock up know and be safe, I mean really can you have to many lowers?

at least thats what i think

forgiven
11-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Mostly an investment on the AR's. Everything else is just my love of firearms.

VAHEVAHE
11-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I know many of you are what some would deem "gun nuts", but setting that and the canned "because I can" response aside, why do you feel compelled to have multiple lowers, uppers, barrels, etc?

This is a serious question - I'm honestly trying to understand if I'm missing out or somehow making a fatal mistake by not getting a second lower and/or upper, LPK, barrel, etc.

Are you anticipating your upper/lower to be out of spec and or inoperable in a couple of years, thus the need for the additional parts/guns?

-b

The reason behind it is simply to have more styles (carbine, Rifle, varmit) and calibers (9mm. 45acp, 458 socom. 6.8 , 50 Beowulf, 50dtc/bmg). Your ar-15 will last your lifetime and then some so don't worry about it going out of spec.

Personally im happy with my sniper ar-15 and the beo 50 i will build when this crazy obama hysteria dies down.

1BigPea
11-11-2008, 11:13 AM
I bought my 1st AR (Stag) as a complete rifle. I wanted to build my own so i bought 2 more lowers, stuck one away in the safe and built the other, CMMG Lower and CMMG 16" Middy Upper.

I do have BRD so that's probably part of it too. I have all the parts to complete my 3rd lower if needed and tons of spare parts around, you never know when a buffer retainer pin might break (happened to me) or your extractor fails. Why wait to order a new one when you already have it with you.

Having spare parts is a very good idea.

shodog805
11-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Mainly I think, and this is just my humble opinion, that its because of the endless possibilities. Say you were dropped at the playboy mansion and were told that you could have what ever you wanted would you only pick one. (Btw if you answered yes to that you should really be in the prop 8 web site not here)people want a verity. I have never met someone who called themselves a gun lover and only had one gun. After all the AR platform is not called a modular weapons system for nothing. It was designed to meet the needs of many types of missions and that is also why I think people like them so much.

b25
11-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I definitely understand the need for multiple lowers to build different caliber weapons -- however, when I see posts about folks rat-holing 6-7 Lowers in their safe, it makes me wonder.... why? Maybe they intend to build 6-7 different rifles over time...

shodog805
11-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I definitely understand the need for multiple lowers to build different caliber weapons -- however, when I see posts about folks rat-holing 6-7 Lowers in their safe, it makes me wonder.... why? Maybe they intend to build 6-7 different rifles over time...

I would if I could afford it. BRD is a wonderfull thing isn't it:)

nick
11-11-2008, 11:33 AM

Or they stock up as an investment.

IH8CALAWS
11-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Variety is the spice of life.

DedEye
11-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Variety is the spice of life.

+1. I was going to say "for variety" because even in the same caliber I see the appeal of multiple lowers.

hoffmang
11-11-2008, 11:49 AM
I have a couple of different dynamics driving the number.

1. Multiple locations - home, office, boat, future second home, etc.

2. I want to make sure if something goes odd, I have a spare or two to hand to a guest or the wife.

3. Being able to have a carbine with close combat laser sights and a bullbarreled long range rifle with excellent glass at the same time.

4. More uppers then get driven by an additional caliber or two - 6.8, .22lr...

It adds up.

-Gene

frigginchi
11-11-2008, 11:51 AM
The same reason why Imelda Marcos has a bunch of shoes. Gotta match your shoes with your outfit:)

-b

CleverName
11-11-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm thinking of getting another lower for a featureless carbine build. I have one for a Prince50 SPR-style build. I'm also thinking of eventually getting a rimfire build, and i figure I should just build a dedicated lower for that.

hawk1
11-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Why do you need multiple Uppers/Lowers?

Same reason you don't have 10 of the exact same shirts hanging in your closet...Variety

AKman
11-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Each of my personalities wants their own configuration and caliber.

Oswald2001
11-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Better too many than too few.

Remember, the US is now an OBAMA-nation.

happy_gunner
11-11-2008, 1:39 PM
Hey B, you should try it, join the millions, BRD is not bad to have, give it a little try and you'll really understand

odysseus
11-11-2008, 2:07 PM
To be enticed with the idea of buying a .50 Beowulf upper!

a1fabweld
11-11-2008, 4:08 PM
That's like asking why Hugh Heffner (my hero) needs so many hot broads. One can't have too many hot women, hot rods, or guns.

grammaton76
11-11-2008, 4:36 PM
You guys are forgetting AB2728. While it provided a convenient "lizard tail" defense for gun owners (without exception, so far every AB2728 case I've heard of has resulted in forfeiture of the riles), you're stuck without those lowers when the smoke's cleared. Bear in mind that these are frequently cases where the defendant DID NOTHING WRONG, but loses his/her rifle because the attorney's fees to get them back would be astronomical otherwise.

First, you should figure out how many AR rifles you want to build.

Next, you should buy at least 2x that number of receivers. If they raid your place and grab all your rifles, you should be able to rebuild them with new parts on stashed lowers at least 2x over.

natasha69
11-11-2008, 5:27 PM

-b

imagine if you will that different types of cars could be built at home off the same frame (ie truck, minivan, coupe, sedan). and those frames were all regulated by the government, who wasn't so keen on cars in the first place. you'd want to get a couple of frames in reserve in case you wanted to build a truck later or a minivan when you had kids.

quite obviously, a gun lower is a discretionary item, while a car is a must have in today's world. however the common part in the analogy explains why sales volumes have spiked, given the different utility from the same common regulated part.

b25
11-11-2008, 7:17 PM
Thank you for all the responses. I really like Gene's (hoffmang) response - to paraphrase: multiple rifles in static locations (house, vacation home, etc)... that seems to make the most sense.

I'm definitely not worried about having the Gov't confiscate my rifle and having to build another out of stashed parts... I realize there are folks that believe it's a possibility (near impossibility) but it still sounds silly.

Ultimately, this seems to be a a subjective question. When I created the thread, I thought that perhaps folks were banking on their AR lowers becoming out of spec/failing over time, which would require replacement parts which might not be available (banned?). I definitely understand having multiple lowers to build different caliber weapons... in-fact, I've put some thought into building a dedicated .22lr at some point. However, at the end of the day I'm still of the mindset that you can only shoot one rifle at a time in a SHTF situation... yet lots of folks have 7,8,9 lowers with very similar builds - is it really worth spending another $1500+ on a second, third, fou..., etc. I'm sure the answer to this is different for everyone.

Thanks again for all the responses. I haven't yet shot my newly built AR... perhaps I'll see the light once I do.

-b

odysseus
11-11-2008, 7:36 PM
You guys are forgetting AB2728. While it provided a convenient "lizard tail" defense for gun owners (without exception, so far every AB2728 case I've heard of has resulted in forfeiture of the riles), you're stuck without those lowers when the smoke's cleared. Bear in mind that these are frequently cases where the defendant DID NOTHING WRONG, but loses his/her rifle because the attorney's fees to get them back would be astronomical otherwise.

Why is this striking me as something unclear? I am not quite understanding how widespread nor how many cases of violations of innocent people this is affecting. Please advise more in how AB2728 is currently doing this to people? I feel I am missing something in the current conscious of things.

Pred Thumper
11-11-2008, 8:15 PM
It s a sickness and there is no real help out there

hawk1
11-11-2008, 8:58 PM
Thank you for all the responses. I really like Gene's (hoffmang) response - to paraphrase: multiple rifles in static locations (house, vacation home, etc)... that seems to make the most sense.

I'm definitely not worried about having the Gov't confiscate my rifle and having to build another out of stashed parts... I realize there are folks that believe it's a possibility (near impossibility) but it still sounds silly.

Ultimately, this seems to be a a subjective question. When I created the thread, I thought that perhaps folks were banking on their AR lowers becoming out of spec/failing over time, which would require replacement parts which might not be available (banned?). I definitely understand having multiple lowers to build different caliber weapons... in-fact, I've put some thought into building a dedicated .22lr at some point. However, at the end of the day I'm still of the mindset that you can only shoot one rifle at a time in a SHTF situation... yet lots of folks have 7,8,9 lowers with very similar builds - is it really worth spending another $1500+ on a second, third, fou..., etc. I'm sure the answer to this is different for everyone.

Thanks again for all the responses. I haven't yet shot my newly built AR... perhaps I'll see the light once I do.

-b

I bit curious why you made this statement;
However, at the end of the day I'm still of the mindset that you can only shoot one rifle at a time in a SHTF situation
Why is it that you have this mindset? You received about 25 replies and I didn't read anyone post that they have them for SHTF. :confused:

Intimid8tor
11-11-2008, 9:01 PM
Well now you made me go look at my lowers and I need to buy a few more. I thought I had enough with 4 regular lowers and 4 .308 lowers (yes I am overloaded on .308 lowers). But, I realized that I need a few more regular lowers to have the stock to build the different varieties that I want.

AKman
11-11-2008, 9:18 PM
Well now you made me go look at my lowers and I need to buy a few more. I thought I had enough with 4 regular lowers and 4 .308 lowers (yes I am overloaded on .308 lowers). But, I realized that I need a few more regular lowers to have the stock to build the different varieties that I want.

No such thing, sonny, unless you're a girlieman.

dchang0
11-11-2008, 10:33 PM
However, at the end of the day I'm still of the mindset that you can only shoot one rifle at a time in a SHTF situation...

You must be single, because you're overlooking an extremely likely, almost universal SHTF scenario for many gun owners--that they'll have family with them in a SHTF situation.

With five, six, seven, guns, a gun owner can arm his/her entire family, with a couple of extra backup or specialized weapons such as a shotgun for small game, handguns while driving during an evacuation, etc.

And if you don't have family with you, you can always arm your friends and neighbors when you band together in a SHTF scenario. Guns would also become very valuable commodities and could be sold/traded for other valuable survival commodities such as food, shelter, and women :D

DrunkSkunk
11-11-2008, 11:08 PM
You must be single, because you're overlooking an extremely likely, almost universal SHTF scenario for many gun owners--that they'll have family with them in a SHTF situation.

With five, six, seven, guns, a gun owner can arm his/her entire family, with a couple of extra backup or specialized weapons such as a shotgun for small game, handguns while driving during an evacuation, etc.

And if you don't have family with you, you can always arm your friends and neighbors when you band together in a SHTF scenario. Guns would also become very valuable commodities and could be sold/traded for other valuable survival commodities such as food, shelter, and women :D

That makes way too much sense. LMAO

what you mean if i only owned 1 gun and i had 30 people in my band i couldn't defense myself?

hehehehe

busarich
11-11-2008, 11:10 PM
For me it is both the investment and the multi cal option. I just got done on my first build (24" bull barrell .223). Jumped into the 78$ group buy for 3 (115$ otd) because
1. Great Price
2. with the uncertantity of the future it is an investment
3. I have been wanting to build a tactical style .458 Socom $ and a .50 Beowulf
If they have a group buy on AR10 lowers (depending on the price) I will pick up atleast 1 if not 2.

busarich
11-11-2008, 11:13 PM

You should sell me one of those .308 lowers :D

baldoHHO
11-12-2008, 7:34 AM
Uppers, lowers, and barrels oh my ! I currently have MGI miliary upper component which has interchangeable barrel capability has somehow curbed
my addiction. Used to have 8 different rifles with diffrent calibers.sniff...sniff..

WhoDat
11-12-2008, 7:39 AM
Because it's fun!

Yeah, I could probably have one AR-10 and one AR-15 lower, and swap uppers for different uses. It's a lot more fun to have different rifles built, though. There's so much flexibility with the AR platform that, though I've got something like 10 lowers, the rifles built with them are each unique (or, they will be, once I get the money to buy more uppers)... ;)

Mixing and matching to build personalized weapons is a blast!

randy
11-12-2008, 8:03 AM
It can cost over a 1k to go to a large match away from home. I have 2 pistols, 2 shotguns, 2 rifles. If one goes down I'll tank that stage but I don't have to worry about fixing my gear before the next stage.

If I'm going to a match with long shots at a couple of hundred yards and lots of hoser stuff I'll shoot a shorter barrel gun. Longer range stuff I might bring a gun with a longer barrel.

grammaton76
11-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Why is this striking me as something unclear? I am not quite understanding how widespread nor how many cases of violations of innocent people this is affecting. Please advise more in how AB2728 is currently doing this to people? I feel I am missing something in the current conscious of things.

Aha. Well, assuming you'll be able to buy lowers forever, you don't need to worry about this. However, if you keep shooting for another 60 years and there's a ban within the next 10, you're still looking at 50+ years where you may get AB2728 confiscations. If you can't replace 'em, over time you may start running low on lowers unless you keep a respectable number in your stash.

hotwls13
11-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Alright, my turn. :)

1. Cause there cool and you can NEVER have too many

2. Multiple calibers and configurations (right tool for the job sonny)

3. Investment (as in, Obama's about to sign and I can't find a lower for less than $500) ;)

4. Commodity (If in a SHTF scenario, firarms will be better than gold)

5. Insurance (When they do re-enact the AWB, I don't think they will confiscate, but I KNOW you will not be able to buy more) I don't know if I will NEED all the ones I have, but I can't see into the future.

At $100 a pop for stripped lowers, why not stock up now. Worst case, if we are all KRAZY you can sell them later for at least what you paid or keep them and build them up.

InsightsBest
11-12-2008, 3:10 PM
Each of my personalities wants their own configuration and caliber.
+1 :gunsmilie:

aplinker
11-12-2008, 3:19 PM
here are the biggest ones for me:

1.) different barrel profiles, materials and lengths (different tools for different jobs)

2.) different configurations (MMG, bullet button, lightweight, race gun, heavy varmint/long range, high volume, etc. etc.)

3.) different calibers

4.) redundancy in case of loss/damage/failure

5.) rifles kept in different locations

6.) I like guns. I like building guns. :)

I have a bunch of 1911s, too. It's the same thing there.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
11-12-2008, 6:47 PM

-b

1. Because it's fun and pisses off liberal politicians.
2. Because I don't want to wear out my irreplaceable registered AW lower.
3. Because I can have a second, dedicated .22LR AR and not have to go through the PITA of switching uppers on my SP1 large ring lower.
4. Oh, yeah... did I mention because it's fun and pisses off liberal politicians? I love the thought that Messrs. Roberti, Roos, et al most likely hate that their "Act" can't keep me from having another AR.
5. Because I can. (Sorry, just can't set that one aside...)

That's about as serious as I get these days, sorry.