PDA

View Full Version : Does new law impact warranty repairs?

SteveH
11-11-2008, 10:06 AM
I remember reading something about gunsmiths having to ship guns to FFL's instead of direcetly to the owners now.

What about manufacturers? I have a Ruger that needs to go back for a recall. Can ruger ship it directly back to me or under the new law must it go to an FFL?

In the past manufacturers have always returned warranty repairs directly to me.

Librarian
11-11-2008, 3:26 PM
I remember reading something about gunsmiths having to ship guns to FFL's instead of direcetly to the owners now.

What about manufacturers? I have a Ruger that needs to go back for a recall. Can ruger ship it directly back to me or under the new law must it go to an FFL?

In the past manufacturers have always returned warranty repairs directly to me.

Anyone doing repairs can ship back directly to the owner, just as the owner can ship directly to someone doing repairs.

What new law did you read about that makes you think otherwise?

ke6guj
11-11-2008, 3:37 PM
the only time I think a warranty repair has to go through an FFL is if the firearm gets replaced and the serial number changes, and that may be for only handguns, I'm not sure.

If manufacturer destroys the old firearm and puts the serial number on the new one, they can send it right back without an FFL, unless they "modify" the number by adding a suffix to it to indicate that it was a replacement.

Another question would be, does a warranty replacement handgun with a new serial number have to be on the Roster, or is there an exemption for those, I dunno.

bwiese
11-11-2008, 4:37 PM
I believe the OP is referring to CFLC matters.

Repair/gunsmithing is not affected. If you own a gun you can send it to any FFL gunsmith for repair or modification, and he can return it to you without any other FFL or any CA form.

CFLC is only for transfers of guns to CA FFLs for (re)sale.

SteveH
11-11-2008, 6:55 PM
I believe the OP is referring to CFLC matters.

Repair/gunsmithing is not affected. If you own a gun you can send it to any FFL gunsmith for repair or modification, and he can return it to you without any other FFL or any CA form.

CFLC is only for transfers of guns to CA FFLs for (re)sale.

Thanks.