View Full Version : hunting with off list AR

11-11-2008, 2:13 AM
Has anyone hunted with a off list AR/AK rifle in California? I have a Stag lower with a 6.5 Grenel, .50 Beowulf upper, and soon will have a titan FAR.308 built. I soon hope to have the time to get a hunting license and tags for pigs and would want to use the Beowulf or FAR.308, but not sure what people would think of seeing someone with a AR style rifle walking around. I would guess it wouldnt be the best idea and thought about talking to someone in charge to hear their opinion about the possibility.

11-11-2008, 6:18 AM
I've hunted with various AR rifles, but not on public land. It didn't appear to bother people that worked at the ranch.

11-11-2008, 7:34 AM
A buddy of mine takes his 6.8 spc deer hunting on public land ,it looks good in the field(and shoots m.o.a.)

11-11-2008, 3:02 PM
I used to hunt coyote with my AR. I would occasionally try new area and ask the land owner to use the property. After he would ask what I am using, he would just tell me to clean up the brass after.

11-11-2008, 3:13 PM

11-11-2008, 3:15 PM
I rode my quad with an ar slung over my shoulder to my hunting spot about 2 dozen times this year. Not so much as a blink from anyone.:D

11-11-2008, 3:29 PM
if you do it...please use a brass catcher and make sure your ammo is approved

11-11-2008, 11:44 PM
I went deer hunting with my AR in .50Beowulf but it was probably the wrong choice of caliber due to the possible shot distances where I was hunting (public land with lots of hills and canyons). If I were to have found a buck, a shot could have easily been 400 yards, way out of range for my .50Beo and probably out of range for my 6.5Grendel also. Those are my only 2 rifles though so I would have been out of luck if I had to take a shot. Take a look at the terrain you plan on hunting in and what the shot distances could be before you choose a caliber. A 65Gren or 50Beo would be good for hog hunting since the distances might be less. A 50Beo might be great for black bear hunting also.

As far as reactions from other people in the field, some can be surprised and some will want one of their one. I was stopped by a deputy who was checking the hillsides for weed farmers. He was very suspicious about me and my rifle, but he checked out the AR, my license and tag, and the ammo (325gr Barnes expander MZ handloads) and everything checked out so I was gtg. I'm not sure he's ever seen an AR hunting rifle but now he has so the next time he sees someone it won't be so weird. A forest ranger and another hunter in camp absolutely loved the .50Beo (16.5" barrel w/ JP VTAC handguard, ACE skeleton stock, bullet button, and 3-9x40 Nikon Omega muzzleloader scope).

11-12-2008, 4:47 AM
Now that Remington is getting into the game with hunting-specific AR Rifles, like the R-25, we hay see more of them in the field. I bought one... ;)

And they're not Black, they're camo! ;) It looks really tame with my Leupold on it...

11-12-2008, 6:04 AM
I have been using one for about 15 years for dear hunting and pig hunting, AR-10. Not a single blink fron anyone. I usually hunt public land. It's just getting hard to access public land or they're shrinking. Rifle wise, not a single hitch, even from the game warden. He just asks me if I've seen anything legal.