PDA

View Full Version : EBRs on public land

Meplat
11-10-2008, 4:50 PM
Was the prohibition of "assault weapons" on public lands federal or state. Can I shoot my AW on BLM or NF land.

bwiese
11-10-2008, 5:06 PM
Assault weapons are only defined by state law.

There are no AW-only restrictions on BLM land outside of CA.

In California, pure BLM land allows shooting of legal registered AWs. Dept of Interior/BLM Region 5 director issued a memo about this back in 2003.

Certain BLM lands in CA may be leased back to CA for maintenance/mgmt so these may not be 'pure' BLM lands and tighter restrictions apply.

Also, in 'way out there' country, use caution + GPS: BLM lands may have snaky borders with other CA lands, and you could step out of 'protected' BLM land into land where you'd need prior express permission to use an AW.

rayra
11-10-2008, 6:09 PM
ANd the obverse - use GPS to verify that you are in the BLM lands as part of your defense when some tree-hugger in uniform abuses their authority to harass you for a legal activity with a legal weapon.

/that's what its come to

Meplat
11-10-2008, 7:12 PM
Thanks guys. I assume National Forrest Lands are the same?

The boundary problem is very real. BLM maps are not accurate. They are swapping land with other agencies and private owners willy nilley. In my business I spend a lot of time on both BLM and private rangeland. It is vital to know where you are. GPS is great and private owners are easy to work with, but BLM has adopted quite the adversarial attitude. Their attitude seems to be; "We don't want you operating on our land, and buy the way, your map is no good and we are not going to tell you what is ours and what is not, so just stay the hell off of everything." GRRRR....Treehuggers!!:mad:

ANd the obverse - use GPS to verify that you are in the BLM lands as part of your defense when some tree-hugger in uniform abuses their authority to harass you for a legal activity with a legal weapon.

/that's what its come to