PDA

View Full Version : Wind direction.

CavTrooper
11-10-2008, 8:41 AM
Tenpercent said something in another thread that id like to run through with yall. This is all theory, since Im no expert and just when you think you know something about coyotes, they throw you a curve ball.

Now, I hear often, people say that its most effective to call INTO the wind, why they say this I have yet to figure out or have it explained to me so if someone would, please do. When I setup to call, I either go crosswind or with the wind at my back, calling WITH the wind. The reason is this, coyotes tend to circle downwind to get a better sniff of the situation. Calling INTO the wind (IMHO) is turning your back on the most likely avenue of approach. When you call WITH the wind (wind at your back) and have a decent view of the area around you, you have better control over your scent cone and have more opportunity to put the coyote down before he catches a whiff.

Anyhow, this is all opinion and theory from my limited experience. One thing I know for sure is that youll never figure out coyotes 100%, just when you think you got it figured out, they do something totally different. Just keep plugging away and having a good time doing it!

Sydwaiz
11-10-2008, 9:52 AM
Cav, what do you think about cover scents? I use them as does another very experienced coyote hunter I know. Seems to me that if you use them, you wouldn't have to worry about the wind so much.

Fjold
11-10-2008, 9:59 AM
I generally call into or across the wind. With an electronic caller using a remote, I try to set up calling into the wind but position myself within 30 degrees of perfectly downwind of the caller as I can get and still work the remote.

Ideally I try to set up with my caller set up facing upwind and myself positioned 100 yards downwind of it at an angle, to cover the most likely approach routes. I try to set up my caller to cover the top of valleys and ravines facing into the wind with myself positione up a side hill so that I can see the caller and as far down into the valley as possible.

CavTrooper
11-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Cav, what do you think about cover scents? I use them as does another very experienced coyote hunter I know. Seems to me that if you use them, you wouldn't have to worry about the wind so much.

I dont use cover scents much. If Im in a tight area, like in the woods with lots of cover, Ill throw a little something on, but Ive never really used them a bunch. From most of the reading ive done and my limited experience I dont think cover scents will do a whole bunch to help, its more a matter of setup. Remeber that canines have really good sense of smell and from what I understand can "pick apart" scents to thier components, in other words, if youre using skunk or rabbit stink or whatever then theyre gonna smell a skunk stink covered human.

Sydwaiz
11-10-2008, 11:31 AM
10-4 on the good sense of smell. I was told you basically want to overload their senses so as to confuse them. I use skunk stink except I don't wear it! I'll take a film canister and stick a cotton ball in there and then put a few drops of skunk juice in it. When I get to my stand, I pop the cap off the canister and just set it next to me and let the breeze do the work. Pretty simple and you don't have to wear it. But like you said, wether it works or not is tough to say but I don't think it can hurt either!

CavTrooper
11-10-2008, 11:49 AM
...whether it works or not is tough to say but I don't think it can hurt either!

Yup, to me its all about my own confidence.

Thats basically what it comes down to with cover scents, camo, decoys, calls, etc. It really hepls to feel good about your hunting, especially when you are on a dry streak.

You dont need camo, but I own several sets of several different patterns.

You dont need fancy calls, but I own expensive e-callers and custom hand calls.

You dont need a bunch of different guns but I have several coyote specific rifles and shotguns.

You dont NEED a bunch of crap to be successful with coyotes, but damned if it aint fun to collect all the gear! :D

Sydwaiz
11-10-2008, 7:34 PM
Yup, to me its all about my own confidence.

Thats basically what it comes down to with cover scents, camo, decoys, calls, etc. It really hepls to feel good about your hunting, especially when you are on a dry streak.

You dont need camo, but I own several sets of several different patterns.

You dont need fancy calls, but I own expensive e-callers and custom hand calls.

You dont need a bunch of different guns but I have several coyote specific rifles and shotguns.

You dont NEED a bunch of crap to be successful with coyotes, but damned if it aint fun to collect all the gear! :D

Aint that the truth! The more gear I aquire, the better I think I am! :p

Moonclip
11-12-2008, 4:49 PM
I. Remeber that canines have really good sense of smell and from what I understand can "pick apart" scents to thier components, in other words, if youre using skunk or rabbit stink or whatever then theyre gonna smell a skunk stink covered human.

That makes a lot of sense. I have heard the same about domestic dogs.