PDA

View Full Version : school me on Hunting coyotes

1lostinspace
11-10-2008, 12:32 AM
So some friends and I went coyote hunting during the day with no luck 10 different location using different digital calls with no luck.
There is cotton tail rabbit out here other then that they love to eat everyones cat. Please help I am new at this and would appreciate some help.

bandogg
11-10-2008, 1:28 AM
Never been hunting but maybe try at night.

DedEye
11-10-2008, 5:11 AM
So some friends and I went coyote hunting during the day with no luck 10 different location using different digital calls with no luck.
There is cotton tail rabbit out here other then that they love to eat everyones cat. Please help I am new at this and would appreciate some help.

MARPAT won't help you hunt coyotes :p.

tenpercentfirearms
11-10-2008, 6:13 AM
It is all about wind direction. You always want to call into the wind. Also how hidden are you? Are you calling next to your truck by using a shooting bench?

I highly recommend you search around over at

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=1

Three is a guy over there named derbyacresbob. That is my father and you will see a lot of pictures of me on his threads with a whole lot of coyotes.

This year there seems to be a shortage of coyotes due to the drought. That might also have something to do with it.

stphnman20
11-10-2008, 7:00 AM
Member is a coyote guide.. Forgot his name though..

CavTrooper
11-10-2008, 7:10 AM
Start reading. predatormasters.com is a good site, however the majority of the people there are midwesterners, for California specific stuff try californiapredatorsclub.com . Not as active as predatormasters, but more local guys.

Tenpercents dad is a pretty good coyote killer and takes some awsome pictures too, always fun to see.

Sydwaiz
11-10-2008, 9:14 AM
What kind of digital calls? Unless it's a higher end brand, it may not have the volume to reach out. I use a Foxpro. I also use a cover scent (skunk). Also, how far were you from your vehicle?

BigBamBoo
11-10-2008, 9:23 AM

CavTrooper
11-10-2008, 9:30 AM
It is all about wind direction. You always want to call into the wind.

There is no ALWAYS in coyote hunting. ;)

See me in the hunting forum and we can discuss this.

Also how hidden are you? Are you calling next to your truck by using a shooting bench?.

Concealment and motion are very importaint. Camo, not so much, as long as you are still and quiet on stand.

Three is a guy over there named derbyacresbob. That is my father and you will see a lot of pictures of me on his threads with a whole lot of coyotes. .

Like I said previously, good site, try the CA forum too.

This year there seems to be a shortage of coyotes due to the drought. That might also have something to do with it.

Im still seeing a bunch down here and out in the desert, maybe you need to expand your range?

dribbler
11-10-2008, 9:31 AM
kill a rabbit and throw it on a coyote trail... also ive noticed now that the coyotes around me only come out at night now. during the summer they could be seen during the day.

professionalcoyotehunter
11-10-2008, 11:04 AM
I am a professional coyote Guide here in the High Desert. My average call rate is about 75% with clients too prove but that all depends on the weather and the time of year I hunt.I shot 14 last month and 22 the month before that. but called in nearly 80+ if you add both months. I call in 2-3 at a time. You may be turning your call too loud and scaring them before thy come in. Try three times on a low noise setting like a mouse squeek or a cottontail do it 1 min wait 30 secs and repeat. then wait about 5 mins and work your way up in volume this will get them very curious and usually within no more than about 10 mins you will have one on top of you. I use mainly only mouth calls this way I can change the patterns of the call and the reed setting in the call. Hunt with the wind at an angle to you because most times if you hunt with it at your face they will come in behind you and you wont see them until it is too late. they will always try to wind there pray unless they are one of the dumb ones who just run in which happens a lot also. If you need any help or want to go sometime too see how it is done just let me know. Now is a good time becasue their coats will be full.

CavTrooper
11-10-2008, 11:45 AM
I am a professional coyote Guide here in the High Desert.

Post up some pics in the coyote hunting picture thread! We need some more additions to keep it going!

devildog999
11-10-2008, 4:36 PM
You gotta go at night. Hate those little fu*****!!!

1lostinspace
11-10-2008, 6:28 PM
MARPAT won't help you hunt coyotes :p.

yeah most coyotes have an anti Marpat device :cool:

1lostinspace
11-10-2008, 6:30 PM
You gotta go at night. Hate those little fu*****!!!

yeah you can hear them at night they go crazy out here, but it's deer season so night hunting.

1lostinspace
11-10-2008, 6:36 PM
It is all about wind direction. You always want to call into the wind. Also how hidden are you? Are you calling next to your truck by using a shooting bench?

Three is a guy over there named derbyacresbob. That is my father and you will see a lot of pictures of me on his threads with a whole lot of coyotes.

The guys I was have hunted them for years I looked something like this hidden behind brush.
the truck was near us a few times and I thought about that, but my friends are so called experts, they have over 300 coyotes and some bob cats between the both of them so I did not bring it up. Also they were using hurt coyote pup calls, I was thinking it's not season for pups.:TFH:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff166/ar15reloader/IMAGE_00204.jpg

Capt. Speirs
11-10-2008, 10:48 PM

Something wrong with Coyotes eating cats? Works for me, all those fur balls do is antagonize my dogs. The female has 3 1/2 kills. She only got half kill because my wife came out behind me to see what was going on and I had to break it up. I watched her kill one, it was National Geographic at its best.

professionalcoyotehunter
11-11-2008, 8:46 AM
Road kill is good to leave around the area also like cats or rabbits. It keeps them in the area you want to hunt. You CAN NOT hunt over it but you can leave it in an area and it is not considered baiting as long as you don't hunt over it. I usually pick some up on my way home and throw it off the side of the road near where I want to hunt. Dont worry they will find it and it keeps them nice and fat.

1lostinspace
11-11-2008, 2:19 PM
Road kill is good to leave around the area also like cats or rabbits. It keeps them in the area you want to hunt. You CAN NOT hunt over it but you can leave it in an area and it is not considered baiting as long as you don't hunt over it. I usually pick some up on my way home and throw it off the side of the road near where I want to hunt. Dont worry they will find it and it keeps them nice and fat.

I will try that

Gnome
11-12-2008, 9:28 AM
Something wrong with Coyotes eating cats? Works for me, all those fur balls do is antagonize my dogs. The female has 3 1/2 kills. She only got half kill because my wife came out behind me to see what was going on and I had to break it up. I watched her kill one, it was National Geographic at its best.

:D Hilarious.

zrock
11-12-2008, 6:43 PM
Hey guys
Riverside varmint club. 50 bucks a year. See jerry at J.W guns
951-682-3270. San Diego, orange county, LA, all have clubs.

Lots of hunting action . Done it
zr