PDA

View Full Version : Question about long guns

laeuchli
11-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Dear All,
I am a currently a California resident. However my parents live in AZ and I go visit them often. My question, is it legal for me, a resident of CA, to go to AZ, and buy a rifle, which will not be legal in CA, and keep it in AZ for when I come to visit? I guess there would be three sets of laws at work, CA law, AZ law and federal law. What does CA and Federal law say on this? I guess its a long shot that someone would know here, but does anyone know what AZ law says?

Thanks

p7m8jg
11-09-2008, 10:05 PM
If you never "possess" it in Kalifornia, then California law can't apply. You don't violate the Kalifornia laws by being in Arizona and following Arizona law. I rented and fired a fully-automatic Thompson machine gun while visiting Arizona. Didn't violate any laws in California.....

Josh3239
11-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Even better you can get a B15 lock. When you come into CA, turn the screw and you have a California legal AR15. Turn the screw the other way in AZ and you can drop mags.

The only law you need to play ball with is Roberti-Roos/Kasler, which is no big deal. 99% of the lowers on the market today are the same, get yourself an offlist one.

laeuchli
11-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Is there a law about recieving a rifle in a state in which you are not a resident? I'm pretty sure there such a law with pistols.

ke6guj
11-09-2008, 10:21 PM
A CA-resident can't purchase a rifle while in another state. Other states allow their residents to purchase rifles from out-of-state dealers, but CA does not.

It does not matter if you leave it in AZ or not, Fed law only allows for the purchase to happen if it complies with the laws of both states.

laeuchli
11-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Ah ok thanks for the information ke6guj. I'm not surprised that has yet another retarded law :(.

motorhead
11-10-2008, 10:07 AM
most ffl's will not sell to those with out of state i.d.. delivery to a resident of another state requires going through another ffl. though a gray area, most err on the side of caution. this is a big deal on the east coast with gun restrictive states being only a short drive from gun friendly ones.

JDay
11-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Your parents could gift you a firearm and Christmas is coming up.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-10-2008, 9:30 PM

They can't gift him a firearm that is illegal in California. They could buy it for themselves and loan it to him while he is in their State, if their State laws allow such loans.

ohsmily
11-10-2008, 10:25 PM

It would still have to go through an FFL if he wants to take legal ownership of it in CA. Another strike for you buddy....boy, it just keeps going and going....

Baron
11-14-2008, 1:43 PM
Ok, so if my brother in Tennessee wanted to californicate one of his rifles and sell it to me here, he can send it to an FFL here and I can DROS it....

Would he have to have an FFL in Tennessee send it to an FFL here?
Or can a Private Party send straight to an FFL here in Cali?
I know FFL's have to do the whole CFLC program, but Private parties do not... Right???

My birthday is coming up and he has one he never uses and I've been looking for one...

510dat
11-14-2008, 3:09 PM
make sure the lower is not on the Roberti-Roos list, then either put in a fixed 10-round mag or [a non-pistol grip of some type, swap the flash-hider for a muzzle-brake and a non-collapsing/folding stock] and then have him ship it to an FFL here in Ca.

If the lower is on the list, it needs to stay in Tn.

CSACANNONEER
11-14-2008, 3:35 PM
It is against federal law for a California resident to go to another state and purchase a firearm. Both the buyer and seller would be in violation of the law. There are a few exceptions such as C&R and a residents of a few states can cross state lines and purchase firearms in bordering states but, California is not one of those states.

Powersauce
11-14-2008, 3:37 PM
What if you have a Cali DL and an Arizona ID? By what ke6guj says...you still can't buy a long gun in AZ?...even if you leave the long gun in AZ?

ke6guj
11-14-2008, 4:03 PM
AFAIK, if you have true dual-residency, you can purchase firearms out of state even though you are a CA-resident. You would be buying the firearm as an AZ resident, and that should be legal. I don't see how CA law can prohibit a person from buying a firearm while he is currently residing in another state.

What is not known is what restrictions are placed on a dual-resident importing firearms into CA when he returns from his AZ residence. Is he a "personal handgun importer" if the firearm is a handgun?

edit: and in my initial post, I did not refer to a dual-resident not being able to purchase firearms in AZ. Dual-residency never came up until you mentioned it.