PDA

View Full Version : Question about PPT.

DJ Skillz
11-09-2008, 4:54 PM
A friend of mine was given a .22 rifle from her friend that moved out of state a few days ago.
She knows zip about CA gun laws, and apparently her friend doesn't either, because there was no FFL involved in the transfer.
He gave her the rifle to sell here, because he didn't want to deal with checking it on the airplane.

I'm interested in buying the rifle if it's a good deal (not sure what it is yet), and obviously I want to do it legally.

Is it possible? How would I go about doing this?

Quiet
11-09-2008, 11:04 PM
A friend of mine was given a .22 rifle from her friend that moved out of state a few days ago.
She knows zip about CA gun laws, and apparently her friend doesn't either, because there was no FFL involved in the transfer.
He gave her the rifle to sell here, because he didn't want to deal with checking it on the airplane.

I'm interested in buying the rifle if it's a good deal (not sure what it is yet), and obviously I want to do it legally.

Is it possible? How would I go about doing this?
A.
Her friend comes back to CA.
You both meet at a CA FFL dealer and transfer it.

B.
She mails it to your CA FFL dealer.
You fill out paperwork for an non-PPT (dealer can charge you more than $35 to transfer it, since it's not a PPT).

leelaw
11-09-2008, 11:34 PM
B.
She mails it to your CA FFL dealer.
You fill out paperwork for an non-PPT (dealer can charge you more than $35 to transfer it, since it's not a PPT).

Option A is correct.

Option B still requires the original owner to come back to CA to pick up the firearm from the friend, who was borrowing it from the owner, and the owner then ships it to an FFL for a transfer to the OP, or meets the OP at an FFL to finish a PPT.