PDA

View Full Version : Report: Fishing in a secret location

Thrillbilly
11-09-2008, 1:47 PM
I was excited as the time drew near to leave for this trip. The destination I was going to fish is one that I have fished a lot in these past several months. However even though I fish this place often I am amazed at the new thing I seem to discover. So we get to the place around 0800 just as it is starting to get light. It is warmer than expected which was a nice surprise, in addition it was not raining as forecasted. We head down the trail and start to fish, I am fishing the trusty TXL and my friend was fishing his Cane rod. It did not take long for us to get into fish; they were the typical small redbands that I am used to catching from this place. So we hiked up river fishing and catching fish. My friend decided to go check out the next hole while I worked the one below. I hear him yelling to me, I could not make out what he was saying but I ran as quickly as I could up there. In his net (which was in the water) was a redband that measured 16” on tape. Wow I thought that is one of the biggest guys I have seen come out of here, He told me that he caught it of a size 14 soft hackle. I did not have any flies over size 16 with me so he let me borrow a #14 EHC; this fly really did the trick. I fished the top of the hole while he continued to fish the bottom of it. The smallest redband that came out of that hole measured 13”. We fished one more hole which was interesting. I hooked one on the EHC and it broke off, (I am guessing there was a weak spot in my tippet as it broke at the midpoint not at the knots). I tied on a new fly and continued to fish the hole, when I saw a fish take my fly. After I landed it I saw the EHC still hooked in the side of his lip, I removed both flies, I did not photograph this guy as it took me a little bit to get both flies then I revived and released him. We decided to hike back down to the car and eat some lunch; we fished as we hiked back down. We got back to the car and sat down to eat, during this time the temp started to drop and it started to rain. I grabbed my gloves and beanie and we headed back out to fish. We fished down river this time having the same luck as up river. I learned some things about this place on this last trip. I learned not to ignore using big bushy flies here; I also learned that there are also brookies in these waters. Well I hope you enjoyed the story and I hope you enjoy the pics.

Thrillbilly
11-09-2008, 1:48 PM

Thrillbilly
11-09-2008, 1:49 PM