PDA

View Full Version : History between the Democratic President and firearms?

showerbabies
11-09-2008, 7:43 AM
Has history always shown increase of firearm purchases before an Democratic President-elect comes into office, such as the one we're hearing today?

VegasND
11-09-2008, 8:20 AM
You need to read up some more. Democrats were not 'considered' universally anti firearms until LBJ--JFK actually bought DCM rifles.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/view_item.aspx?aid=41&iid=205462

ETA: I know not all Dems are anti-gun--notice the word 'considered' above.

freakshow10mm
11-09-2008, 8:54 AM
There are a lot of anti gun politicians that own and carry firearms. Biden, Pelosi, Shumer, Kennedy, Kerry, Feinstein, come to mind. They all own firearms and I know for a fact that Feinstein has a concealed weapon permit in California. She was there when the "twinkie defense" guy shot up the mayor's office in the 70's IIRC. Ever since then she carries a .38 revolver.

Bad Voodoo
11-09-2008, 9:39 AM
JFK actually bought DCM rifles.

The last true (D) President.

hawk81
11-09-2008, 9:57 AM
JFK was a life member of the NRA. I don't know what happened to his brothers.

oddball
11-09-2008, 12:18 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/oddballphoto/jfklttr0561lrg.jpg

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
"By calling attention to 'a well regulated militia,' the 'security' of the nation, and the right of each citizen 'to keep and bear arms,' our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny, which gave rise to the Second Amendment, will ever be a major danger to our nation, the Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason I believe the Second Amendment will always be important."
John F. Kennedy

"Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms.... The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against tyranny"
Hubert Humphrey

"Gun bans don't disarm criminals, gun bans attract them."
Walter Mondale