PDA

View Full Version : 80% lowers / AWB?

JagerTroop
11-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Would 80% lowers still be available in the midst of a Clintonesque AW ban?

The initial conclusion I came to was that they would be available, but as soon as they were completed, they would instantly become an unregistered AW.

I am aware that there is no pending AWB... yet. I am just preparing, so if anyone has any info, or previous experience with this situation, I'm all ears (or, in this case, I guess it would be eyes ;) )

JDay
11-09-2008, 12:11 AM

The initial conclusion I came to was that they would be available, but as soon as they were completed, they would instantly become an unregistered AW.

I am aware that there is no pending AWB... yet. I am just preparing, so if anyone has any info, or previous experience with this situation, I'm all ears (or, in this case, I guess it would be eyes ;) )

If HR 1022 is any indication (and it is) we have good reason to be worried.
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/federal/read.aspx?id=2668

bwiese
11-09-2008, 12:11 AM
How can you expect an intelligent answer to a question regarding a law that does not exist?

leelaw
11-09-2008, 12:50 AM

ASSUMING that a future AWB is just a mirror of the Clinton AWB, then no, 80% forgings would NOT be banned.

During the Clinton AWB you could build an AR from an "80% lower" but the final rifle must be built to a "post ban" configuration (fixed stock, no flash hider, no bayonet lug)

savs2k
11-09-2008, 1:07 AM
no way that there can be a ban on 80% since it was not now,then, and most likely ever be considered a firearm. Like others have posted if there was a ban, to complete an 80% would be illegal. So in that sense it might be harder to find 80% lowers because there could not be anything legal done with it except to use it as a paperweight or throw it at someone =P. Just stock up on completed lowers since they are (can be) cheaper then an 80%

JagerTroop
11-09-2008, 6:59 AM
How can you expect an intelligent answer to a question regarding a law that does not exist?

True, it doesn't currently exist, but it has in the past. I take it you don't remember 1994-2004 :rolleyes:

ASSUMING that a future AWB is just a mirror of the Clinton AWB, then no, 80% forgings would NOT be banned.

During the Clinton AWB you could build an AR from an "80% lower" but the final rifle must be built to a "post ban" configuration (fixed stock, no flash hider, no bayonet lug)

Using the Clinton AWB as a model, would it be legal to build a pistol from an 80%?

FYI - I have no intention of missing the boat, when it comes to stocking up. This is just something I've been pondering for a few days. I'm always looking for a way around things :D

leelaw
11-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Using the Clinton AWB as a model, would it be legal to build a pistol from an 80%?

One other thing the Clinton AWB restricted was large handguns over some certain weight. AR pistols were legal, but they had to be skeletonized, with no forward hand grip, and some other stuff. It was obscure so I don't recall exactly what it covered, but I did seee AR15 pistols for sale at the time.

Keep in mind that the proposed bans are much more restrictive than the Clinton AWB, so this isn't likely to be an ironclad answer shall a new ban be passed.