PDA

View Full Version : A Surge in NRA Membership

aklon
11-08-2008, 9:48 PM
If you go to the San Francisco Gun Show at the Cow Palace, there's no way you can miss the NRA sign-up tables right there as you get in line for the ticket booth. You know the deal: a $10 break on membership (or renewal) for a year, and a free show ticket (worth $10). New members also get an official NRA hat.

On our best weekend out there, we signed up 248 people over a two day period.

Today - in just one day - we signed up 268 for NRA, with so many new members that we ran out of hats.

People are worried, and the first thing they're thinking of doing is joining the National Rifle Association.

(I even had one young man sign up who doesn't own a firearm himself but his friends shamed him into it and told him it sticks a thumb in somebody's eye and that made him happy to do it)

sorensen440
11-08-2008, 9:51 PM
That was really a great deal it kinda made me wish I wasn't already a member

csmintel
11-08-2008, 9:52 PM
they laugh and buy S550 leases with our money. They are useless. Give em your money if it makes you feel that they can make difference. they laugh everyday all the way to the bank.:rofl2:

sorensen440
11-08-2008, 9:54 PM
they laugh and buy S550 leases with our money. They are useless. Give em your money if it makes you feel that they can make difference. they laugh everyday all the way to the bank.:rofl2:

Lets all ignore the :troll:

sorensen440
11-08-2008, 9:55 PM
I wonder how the signups are doing overall

unusedusername
11-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Today - in just one day - we signed up 268 for NRA, with so many new members that we ran out of hats.

Yay! My wife and I are 2 of the 268. I guess we got in before they ran out of hats :D

I'm hoping that the membership dues go towards at least 1/10th of a second of "pestering Obama" time. If enough people give them money and they pester the politicians then hopefully all the future-bans that people are going monkey-crazy over wont happen.

We just have to be louder then the anti-gun people...

csmintel
11-08-2008, 10:11 PM

How about me :90: you.....

Annie Oakley
11-08-2008, 10:25 PM

And you have the NRA avatar, why ?

Shane916
11-09-2008, 1:13 AM
And you have the NRA avatar, why ?

Wondering the same... :confused:

sorensen440
11-09-2008, 9:53 AM
Wondering the same... :confused:

Its part of the troll disguise

Sutcliffe
11-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Seems to me it would be better to take the fight to the other side of the field.

Blue
11-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Seems to me it would be better to take the fight to the other side of the field.

You gonna put your money on the big dog or the little dog?

AfricanHunter
11-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Way to go people. Keep signing up or getting friends to sign up. I give memberships to non gun owner friends as gifts. Just tell them when you are signing up to not add them to the mailing list. We need a bigger force in the national political scene then ever.

surfinguru
11-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Signed up two weeks ago. Add me to the growing list.

Matt C
11-09-2008, 12:49 PM

Already on my ignore list along with stage22. Course everyone always quotes their trolling anyways..

CCWFacts
11-09-2008, 1:16 PM
Signed up two weeks ago. Add me to the growing list.

THANK YOU!

My plan is to upgrade to Life for my next renewal.

I'm also going to join Forum Waffenrecht (http://www.fwr.de/).

aklon
11-09-2008, 1:34 PM
Way to go people. Keep signing up or getting friends to sign up. I give memberships to non gun owner friends as gifts. Just tell them when you are signing up to not add them to the mailing list. We need a bigger force in the national political scene then ever.

I signed my nephew up at the last SF Gun Show. It didn't cost him a dime and he got to go to the show for free.

(Added bonus: His mother is an overprotective super nanny. I used to bother her when he was five by having him run into his kitchen and tell her "When I grow up, I want to be an Airborne Ranger!" Now the American Rifleman is being delivered right to her home and my nephew says he just grins all day long when they get it. My brother laughs.)

dexter9659
11-09-2008, 2:24 PM
I have never seen a larger showing for a gun show than this weekend. Also at our PPC match at Chabot, there were more people than available lanes, a big change from last month's 10 people.... There is some of the change ive been hearing about.

Hey is TenPercent going to be selling troll repellent anytime soon? Ill take two bottles.

ArmedWolf
11-09-2008, 2:49 PM
When I was younger and Heston was President of the NRA I remember seeing so much of him on TV and commercials of Gun rights and made me want to be a member, but I was young and told no.

These days, anything I want to see of NRA I seem to have to search for it and their commercials seem to be on dull *** low rating channels. Or on some outdoor network were I can probably guess a good freaking majority of viewers know about the NRA and joined already.

I'm not so swayed anymore to Join NRA, What is it saying? I'm a proud gun owner, because I hold a piece of plastic and get magazines to read? I think being an active shooter says more.

Their website has good info on gun law battles in states, Would be cool to see it more outside the website and on the radio, get on more basic TV channels.

If I could see the NRA purchasing Superbowl commercial time. Get media attention, confront Obama on his Gun control agenda. Rattle some freaking cages.

Then I'll buy a membership.

CCWFacts
11-09-2008, 3:04 PM
ArmedWolf, I must say, that's a weak excuse for not joining.

Superbowl spots are extremely expensive. They're also an inefficient use of funds. The NRA knows what it's doing on that stuff. They could afford to spend 10% of their annual budget on a couple of minutes of Superbowl ads, or they could spend it in other ways. They pick the other ways.

What really matters for them is numbers. "Congressman, we'd like to discuss this bill with you. We have 25,000 dues-paying members in your district. Can we meet you this week?" That's what they need.

I believe more than ever that anyone who is a gun owners, especially in "enemy territory" like California, needs to be an NRA member. If it weren't for the tireless efforts of the NRA we would be like the UK: unarmed citizens, armed criminals, everyone wondering what happened.

Lee F. Smith
11-09-2008, 3:07 PM
When I was younger and Heston was President of the NRA I remember seeing so much of him on TV and commercials of Gun rights and made me want to be a member, but I was young and told no.

These days, anything I want to see of NRA I seem to have to search for it and their commercials seem to be on dull *** low rating channels. Or on some outdoor network were I can probably guess a good freaking majority of viewers know about the NRA and joined already.

I'm not so swayed anymore to Join NRA, What is it saying? I'm a proud gun owner, because I hold a piece of plastic and get magazines to read? I think being an active shooter says more.

Their website has good info on gun law battles in states, Would be cool to see it more outside the website and on the radio, get on more basic TV channels.

If I could see the NRA purchasing Superbowl commercial time. Get media attention, confront Obama on his Gun control agenda. Rattle some freaking cages.

And they would get that money for commercials from where?

ArmedWolf
11-09-2008, 3:22 PM
I have nothing against the NRA, I just feel there isn't enough pressure these days. SO I join Live in CA and still see these stupid laws pass increasing the restrictions on handguns, what the hell am I to be a member for, if laws get firmer and worse, does my NRA card protect me from Authorities wanting to collect handguns?

I haven't really seen an increase in positive gun rights in CA, and I'm a glass is half empty guy so I don't see my joining NRA helping it.

I don't want a stupid hat, or stickers or damn magazines, I want my damn guns and my rights.

Homosexuals on gay rights marriage get more damn attention than the NRA.

Maybe I will join for 2 years when Obama gets in Jan, maybe not, I dunno.

If I join, I join for Heston and his energy he put into the fight for the NRA.

CCWFacts
11-09-2008, 3:36 PM
ArmedWolf, there is ONE factor that limits the NRA's power and its ability to protect your rights. It's the fact that only a small percentage of US and Cal. gun owners are NRA members. The fact that you, and millions of gun owners like you, are not members is the reason why they can't make the kind of progress you would like to see.

If even 10% of California's gun owners were NRA members, we would have no California AWB, we would have CCW, and we would be like all the other states.

Be a part of the solution. Plunk down your $35. What's that, the price of two boxes of ammo these days?

silvertear
11-09-2008, 3:37 PM
Well, I guess you can add me to the list of new members. I decided to go with the lifetime membership.

anthonyca
11-09-2008, 3:41 PM
ArmedWolf, there is ONE factor that limits the NRA's power and its ability to protect your rights. It's the fact that only a small percentage of US and Cal. gun owners are NRA members. The fact that you, and millions of gun owners like you, are not members is the reason why they can't make the kind of progress you would like to see.

If even 10% of California's gun owners were NRA members, we would have no California AWB, we would have CCW, and we would be like all the other states.

Be a part of the solution. Plunk down your $35. What's that, the price of two boxes of ammo these days?

Great post. I get so sick of most of my friends who are gun owners b******* about the laws and not doing something as simple and cheap as joining the NRA or contributing to CGF. They don't want to hear it that all their b******* is never heard by the government but the NRA is heard and they would be a counted number if they joined.

ArmedWolf
11-09-2008, 4:00 PM
but $35 on ammo is more Fun :D

I said I might join in Jan, if Obama starts to tighten the grip on us I will join. NRA cares, I care, we all care on Gun rights, me not being an NRA member doesn't say I don't care, If you want to argue that you can kiss my ball bag.

If anyone ever came after my guns, I'm only sending them the bullets.

1859sharps
11-09-2008, 4:15 PM
Armedwolf, not sure you get it.

you say $35 of ammo is more fun. I agree. but I want to be able to buy that $35 worth of ammo today, tomorrow, next year. I want my kids to have that option, and their kids.

That is why I joined the NRA as soon as I could. and even when times are tough, I find the $ to at least stay a member, even if I can't afford to send extra money when donations are needed.

CCWFacts
11-09-2008, 4:19 PM
I said I might join in Jan, if Obama starts to tighten the grip on us I will join.

He will. You don't need to wait for January. He's starting already. There are intense negotiations going on right now among the liberal Democrats coming into Congress to figure out what they can do. Waiting to see if he's going to do something anti-gun when he comes in is like waiting to see if winter is going to be cold.

If anyone ever came after my guns, I'm only sending them the bullets.

You see, this attitude is the problem. If confiscations start and people start shooting back, we've lost the war, we've lost America, we are screwed. Being an NRA member will help us avoid ever getting to that situation. How can you say that you have the cojones to shoot back, but you don't have the will to just sign up for a membership for $35 ? This makes no sense. You do thing in order. You vote. You join the NRA. You write letters. You take your non-shooting friends to the range. You do all those things, and then you can avoid ever getting into a situation of needing to shoot someone.

ArmedWolf
11-09-2008, 4:25 PM
Last thing I ever want to do is shoot or hurt anyone, that comment about shooting was **** hits the fan statement, its not about fighting for my rights to carry arms but for the personal security and individualism we all are at rights to with the 2nd amendment.

I'm just a tight *** with money because I'm an unemployed college student already having my wallet molested to get a degree.

Its really not about the money though. I will join in Jan, and I will get a 2 year.

Doesn't make me feel any better though, and that is all I really want out of the membership.

Window_Seat
11-09-2008, 6:06 PM
I became a 5 year member back in '06. Before that, I was a 1 year member, and decided to upgrade. In order to upgrade when my membership is up, I would need to go "Lifetime", so I guess that is what I'll be doing, but that will come long before 2011...:cool2: I believe in supporting the "big dog" in the fight, and this is the only way is to have a big dog voice in Washington & Sacramento. I'm glad to see that the NRA membership applications are going up. I got a call from them today, and they are saying the same thing.

Erik.

sorensen440
11-09-2008, 6:14 PM
The time to join the NRA is not after they make a law you dont like
it is way way easier to stop a law from forming then it is to remove it./

dwtt
11-09-2008, 8:25 PM
Last thing I ever want to do is shoot or hurt anyone, that comment about shooting was **** hits the fan statement, its not about fighting for my rights to carry arms but for the personal security and individualism we all are at rights to with the 2nd amendment.

I'm just a tight *** with money because I'm an unemployed college student already having my wallet molested to get a degree.

Its really not about the money though. I will join in Jan, and I will get a 2 year.

Doesn't make me feel any better though, and that is all I really want out of the membership.
ArmedWolf, the fight for our rights is ongoing and it began a long time ago.
About being a college student, I've been there and done that, and it's hard to spend $35 for a year's membership, but if you were to join at a gun show, the local NRA member's council will take $10 off the membership. Our rights will be restored by our collective actions and by the NRA. Without the NRA, the Heller decision might not have happened, Prop H might be in effect in San Francisco, New Orleans gun confiscation would be a precedent with no federal or state laws preventing it from reoccurring, and handgun bans in DC and other cities would still be in effect.

aklon
11-09-2008, 8:58 PM

How does making the City and County of San Francisco pay $390,000 in attorney fees to the NRA because the "progressives" lost on their stupid gun ban sound? Is that enough of a rattle for you?

aklon
11-09-2008, 9:06 PM
Final count at SF Gun Show:

Prior to now, our best weekend at the Cow Palace was 238 memberships in NRA.

This weekend we had 406 enrollments, a new record.

GW
11-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Outstanding!!

Bravo, sir!:jump::jump:

NineteenElev3n
11-09-2008, 10:42 PM
This is good news. That's a lot of new NRA members!

Kingofthehill
11-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Final count at SF Gun Show:

Prior to now, our best weekend at the Cow Palace was 238 memberships in NRA.

This weekend we had 406 enrollments, a new record.

although not at the show to do so, I got a 5 year NRA as a gift from my sister, i got my g/f her membership and my dad for his b-day as well....

Id rather protect the rights i have now then try and fight to get whats taken back.

JOe