PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to buy hi caps and have them shipped out of state?

AK4me
11-08-2008, 5:29 PM
I'm moving to Minnesota next year and I would like to start buying mags now that way Ill have them in case they get banned. I have family out there I can have them shipped to, I just don't know if it is legal.

Librarian
11-08-2008, 5:43 PM
I'm moving to Minnesota next year and I would like to start buying mags now that way Ill have them in case they get banned. I have family out there I can have them shipped to, I just don't know if it is legal.
Cleaner to have them make the buy.

It's legal, so long as they don't come into CA, but finding someone who will sell to a CA-billing-address will be the key.

hoffmang
11-08-2008, 5:52 PM
If your family will co-operate just have them buy whatever and then send them a check to pay them back. That'll also create a paper trail that you owned them as of the date of the check.

-Gene

JDay
11-08-2008, 5:54 PM
What are these "high cap magazines" you speak of? Or are you talking about the banned standard capacity magazines?

sorensen440
11-08-2008, 5:54 PM
and how about buying rebuild kits and just leaving them disassembled in state?

AK4me
11-08-2008, 5:57 PM
and how about buying rebuild kits and just leaving them disassembled in state?

Its legal to have rebuild kits for mags I dont own?

JDay
11-08-2008, 5:59 PM

I wouldn't do that, could be used as evidence of intent to manufacture.

sorensen440
11-08-2008, 5:59 PM

I know of no law to prevent you from having dissembled rebuild kits.

AK4me
11-08-2008, 6:00 PM
If your family will co-operate just have them buy whatever and then send them a check to pay them back. That'll also create a paper trail that you owned them as of the date of the check.

-Gene

This is probably what I will do.

LAK Supply
11-08-2008, 6:00 PM

It is... you cannot assemble them in the state of CA though. That would be manufacturing.

sorensen440
11-08-2008, 6:01 PM

I disagree
thats like saying owning a pistol grip on a shelf while you only own a mmg ar would be intent to manufacture an assault weapon

AK4me
11-08-2008, 6:04 PM
I know of no law to prevent you from having dissembled rebuild kits.

I guess I could do that too, that way I can pack them up good so they wont be all rusted up when I eventually get out there to open em up. Ill just tell my mom not to open the box.

sorensen440
11-08-2008, 6:06 PM
I guess I could do that too, that way I can pack them up good so they wont be all rusted up when I eventually get out there to open em up. Ill just tell my mom not to open the box.

I don't see an issue with anyone having magazine parts that they only assemble while going out of state

AK4me
11-08-2008, 6:11 PM
I don't see an issue with anyone having magazine parts that they only assemble while going out of state

yea but I would be shipping them out of state as soon as I got them

sorensen440
11-08-2008, 6:12 PM
yea but I would be shipping them out of state as soon as I got them

probably easyer to just have them shipped there to begin with then

JDay
11-08-2008, 6:13 PM
I disagree
thats like saying owning a pistol grip on a shelf while you only own a mmg ar would be intent to manufacture an assault weapon

I see what you're getting at but you must remember that to prove guilt the state only has to prove intent. This is something that I just would not risk unless I could show good cause for having these rebuild kits. Not that he should have anything to worry about if he doesn't give the police a reason to go through his house.

Edit: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get us.

JDay
11-08-2008, 6:14 PM

Pack them up in cosmoline filled ziplock bags and ship them off.

AK4me
11-08-2008, 6:20 PM
Pack them up in cosmoline filled ziplock bags and ship them off.

I was thinking of packing an ammo can full of them and tossing in a bunch of those desiccant packs and then shipping it out. I thought of cosmoline but that might be a pain to clean off. Its not going to be packed up forever, Im moving out there next summer.

hoffmang
11-08-2008, 6:28 PM
Worst case oil/Break Free on the mags and then a couple of desiccant packs should keep things fine for a year.

-Gene

DedEye
11-08-2008, 6:31 PM
I see what you're getting at but you must remember that to prove guilt the state only has to prove intent.

Um, what :confused:?

hawk81
11-08-2008, 6:33 PM
I buy from cdnn all the time and have them shipped to my sister in Texas. Cdnn does it, no questions asked.

JDay
11-08-2008, 6:38 PM
I was thinking of packing an ammo can full of them and tossing in a bunch of those desiccant packs and then shipping it out. I thought of cosmoline but that might be a pain to clean off. Its not going to be packed up forever, Im moving out there next summer.

Cosmoline comes right off of metal with a little brake cleaner. Don't use carb cleaner though since it will strip the finish off.

rorschach
11-08-2008, 6:41 PM
Worst case oil/Break Free on the mags and then a couple of desiccant packs should keep things fine for a year.

-Gene

I agree. Cosmoline is a PITA.

I have more mag parts than I do mags. Many of the rebuild kits I have bought (mostly G3 and FAL/L1A1 kits) were to convert to 10 rounders. I wouldnt worry too much about it.

JDay
11-08-2008, 6:42 PM
Um, what :confused:?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intention_(criminal)

IANAL but I'm pretty sure that works the same as when someone gets convicted of murder when there's no body and just circumstantial evidence.

dfletcher
11-08-2008, 6:45 PM
I buy from cdnn all the time and have them shipped to my sister in Texas. Cdnn does it, no questions asked.

Same here - I just change the address from CA to mine in NV and off they go. When CProducts had 30 round 7.62 X 39 AR mags in stock (after a long absence) I bought & stocked up, off to NV they went.

AK4me
11-08-2008, 6:48 PM
Same here - I just change the address from CA to mine in NV and off they go. When CProducts had 30 round 7.62 X 39 AR mags in stock (after a long absence) I bought & stocked up, off to NV they went.

sweet, Ill check them out too.

JDay
11-08-2008, 6:49 PM
You'll probably need to go to your bank and add the other address to your account.

Librarian
11-08-2008, 6:56 PM
Well, there you go. Unfortunately, everyone I know well enough to have mags shipped to lives in CA. :(

AK4me
11-08-2008, 7:03 PM
Well, there you go. Unfortunately, everyone I know well enough to have mags shipped to lives in CA. :(

You can ship em to my moms in Minnesota.:D

dfletcher
11-08-2008, 8:43 PM
Some mail order companies - believe Midway is one - keys on your primary address if you order on line, regardless of where they're being sent. When that happens a phone call usually gets the order done.

ohsmily
11-08-2008, 8:55 PM
IANAL

We know.

but I'm pretty sure that works the same as when someone gets convicted of murder when there's no body and just circumstantial evidence.

In order to be convicted, the People must still prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the crime was committed. The example you gave above is not just "intent," it is proving that the crime actually occurred albeit without a body. It isn't just that the murderer intended to kill the victim, but DID kill the victim. I think you might be confusing some of the issues concerning corpus delicti (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_delicti). Possession of disassembled magazine parts, even for a gun you don't own, is not even relevant to the inquiry of whether you actually manufactured, imported, offered for sale, loaned, transferred, etc, high capacity magazines.

Now, if the person in possession of those parts made some admissions like, "I have assembled those before illegally" or, "I intend to manufacture those parts" you can get into some problems. But, just having parts is not cause for any concern.

NiteQwill
11-08-2008, 9:31 PM

Nope

NSR500
11-08-2008, 10:10 PM
I buy all the time and have them shipped home to TX when I'm in CA. If I'm not home my sister will check my mail when she's over checking on the house. Not one retailer has ever given me a hard time.

andrewj
11-08-2008, 10:14 PM

Congrats on moving stateside! :patriot:

AK4me
11-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Thanks alot for your help everyone.