PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry Poll

nicki
11-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Assuming Nordyke gets us incorporation and Calguns foundation and others believe we have right to carry, how much will you participate?

Nicki

Matt C
11-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Yes on everything but donate, still have to pay my own legal bills. I want to wait until we have at least taken a good shot at incorporation though (Nordyke, Chicago, SF ect.).

Soldier415
11-08-2008, 12:47 PM
BWO, you have a link that has a summary of nordyke? I have been trying to get a complete picture but have just been getting bits and pieces

Matt C
11-08-2008, 12:53 PM
BWO, you have a link that has a summary of nordyke? I have been trying to get a complete picture but have just been getting bits and pieces

Of course, and it's hosted on the BWO Freedom Server!

http://www.calgunlaws.com/index.php/current-litigation/53-court-filings/575-the-nra-crpa-and-professors-of-law-submit-amicus-briefs-in-support-of-appellants-in-nordyke-case-format-.html

The NRA CPRA brief (top) was written by TMLLP, sums everything up nicely.

M. Sage
11-08-2008, 3:10 PM
I'm willing to do pretty much whatever. I'd prefer not to go to jail if possible. :p I might not be the best person to talk to the press, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Don't forget that it'd be a good idea to have people without guns armed with video cameras nearby. Document, document, document.

tombinghamthegreat
11-08-2008, 3:26 PM
Sounds like a good idea after incorporation. I think a few rallies will help break people into OCing and it would be a good idea for the more exprenced OCers to setup a legal defense fund.

nicki
11-08-2008, 3:39 PM
I'm willing to do pretty much whatever. I'd prefer not to go to jail if possible. I might not be the best person to talk to the press, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Don't forget that it'd be a good idea to have people without guns armed with video cameras nearby. Document, document, document.

Ideally lots of video taping, especially if confrontation with LEO's.

Even if no confrontations happen, still could be used for you tube.

Nicki

M. Sage
11-08-2008, 4:13 PM
:confused:

Window_Seat
11-08-2008, 8:26 PM
I will participate, but I prefer not to be arrested. That could come back to haunt a person in the future. On the Nordyke incorporation, I am still trying to learn about it. Can anyone say when this is to be argued or decided? Or has the 9th not decided when that time will come? Also, (and this has probably been discussed) would it be likely that "Shall Issue" would become statewide right away?

Erik; waiting with interest.

sorensen440
11-08-2008, 8:28 PM
Not willing to carry as I dont have the means to defend myself in court if I was wrongfully arrested
would be happy to video and audio record the event and would not be scared off by any threats from police

Meplat
11-09-2008, 2:11 PM
I would be an observer / chaperone due to the fact that I have a CCW which prohibits open carry.

I'm willing to do pretty much whatever. I'd prefer not to go to jail if possible. :p I might not be the best person to talk to the press, but I'm willing to give it a go.

CitaDeL
11-09-2008, 3:20 PM
I would be an observer / chaperone due to the fact that I have a CCW which prohibits open carry.

So you mean to say that the issuing agency had the forethought to imprint the words "No exposed carry." on your license to carry concealed?

If it is not imprinted on the license, there is no restriction- if it is, it is not a reasonable restriction as unlicensed inidividuals are not prohibited by law from carrying exposed.

ArmedWolf
11-09-2008, 3:32 PM
I'm a Freelance Photographer, I'd hang out to take photos and support

wolf13
11-09-2008, 4:20 PM
Cant carry because I'm only 20, but would be there and video tape.

Liberty1
11-09-2008, 4:32 PM
Cant carry because I'm only 20, but would be there and video tape.

The 21 limitation is only for purchase from or through (in the case of a PPT) an FFL. You may possess and carry pistols and revolvers like all adults in CA at 18. However the pistol or revolver would have to be a gift from a parent or grand parent or a loan from another lawful owner and you would need to possess a Firearm Safety Card (certificate?) to take possession.

I would still recommend having one registered in your name for activist purposes to avoid the felony wobbler if one is ever falsely charged.

And unarmed video tapers are also needed too.

DJ Skillz
11-09-2008, 4:43 PM
What do you mean by "gun hostile" areas?
Areas where it is illegal to open carry, or lefty areas that just frown upon it?

Liberty1
11-09-2008, 5:07 PM
lefty areas that just frown upon it

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner!

DJ Skillz
11-09-2008, 5:26 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner!

In that case, count me in for that vote. :D

nicki
11-09-2008, 7:20 PM
Let's see.

Hostile.

SanFran Bay Area.
Sacramento
Los Angeles County

I'm sure some others, but those ones definitely.

Nicki

Meplat
11-09-2008, 7:56 PM
Yep, no open carry is a condition. Call me a wuss if you want but I'm not going to jepordise my CCW.

So you mean to say that the issuing agency had the forethought to imprint the words "No exposed carry." on your license to carry concealed?

If it is not imprinted on the license, there is no restriction- if it is, it is not a reasonable restriction as unlicensed inidividuals are not prohibited by law from carrying exposed.

Riodog
11-09-2008, 8:45 PM
"JEOPARDIZE",

As stated before, I see no benefit to OC except to draw attention to yourself or press a point in that it is your right(sometimes). When I carry it is because I want to be safe from any and all things evil. I do not draw attention to myself. I do not feel that a gun makes me any more than I already am (which is truly *****en) lol. Have been robbed four times by armed robbers and have not drawn a weapon, however had they posed a threat to anyone I would have killed them on the spot( even if I had to stomp their brains in the ground).
Have been cleared to carry on airlines and don't as a rule as I don't fly anywhere the badies wanna go. Have no trouble at all ever loading my firearms in my personal plane and going where-ever.

I worked for a time when open carry was mandated but I always had a hideout, throwdown, what-ever-you prefer to call it as a back-up.

(90%) of all people A. get themselves in trouble by not doing their homework.
B. Because they have this under laying desire for attention. C. Because they are just plain dumb.
Having carried all over Canada and Mexico and I've not had a problem.

Was heading to North Billerica, Mass and called ahead and asked the state cop that answered the phone, yada, yada, yada, Am I gonna have a problems with you liberal guncontrol clowns. I got a 12 ga o/u and a 45 auto, you got a problem with it? "Where you gonna be this weekend?" Wooster! "Good, meet me at the gun club and we'll see if you can shoot the O/U.

Made a good friend for life. (he beat me-93->98).
Rio

CA_Libertarian
11-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Yep, no open carry is a condition. Call me a wuss if you want but I'm not going to jepordise my CCW.

I really want to, but I'll refrain... :p

This is the main reason I open carry. I'm tired of seeing otherwise good people being enslaved by government agencies that issue privileges where once stood rights.

It takes courage to stand up for what is right, even when threatened with opression of your 'privileges.' (I, for example, still submit in many ways to maintain my privilege to drive. So I'll join the 'wuss' club here.)

Python2
11-10-2008, 2:01 PM
After incorporation, I will march, take video and support the OC'rs. I might even open carry myself if I can clear something up on my end.

AaronHorrocks
11-10-2008, 2:12 PM
Is this "march" going to be on a weekend?
Us law abbiding gun owners have jobs ya know!

CitaDeL
11-10-2008, 6:26 PM

You have wholly misinterpreted the intent of my question. I only find people who have an aversion to carrying firearms for self-defense 'wusses'.

I found the inquiry pertinent because while issuing agencies can place restrictions on carry activities, the restrictions must be reasonable and imprinted on the license that was issued.

12050 b) A license may include any reasonable restrictions or conditions which the issuing authority deems warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place, manner, and circumstances under which the person may carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(c) Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (b) shall be
indicated on any license issued.

If the condition isnt imprinted on your license, the issuing agency is not fulfilling 12050 (c). If the restriction of "No exposed carry" or "No open carry" appears on the license, it creates greater restrictions on a licensee than on the general public, which essentially creates two classes of citizen governed with two standards of law. If the issuing agency is treating two classes of citizen differently- the restriction being unconstitutional, is not reasonable.

People with a license to carry concealed are exercising the privilege to conceal which has been made unlawful by statute. Licensees have as much right to carry openly as anyone else, since exposed carry has not been outlawed. So, in my view, the issuing agency is abbrogating the licensees rights under color of law with that restriction.

Paladin
11-11-2008, 11:08 AM
I voted for all of the pro-march options (even though some were mutually exclusive) except for organizing (too busy), donating money (running on vapors now), and risking arrest (both too busy and running on vapors).

jsnby
11-11-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm a Freelance Photographer, I'd hang out to take photos and support

I would be willing to take photos at any OC events in southern california

Meplat
11-11-2008, 8:19 PM
If you let your firearm be in a condition to be observed it is concidered "brandishing" and is not leagle unless you need to do it in self defense.

Meplat
11-11-2008, 8:33 PM
I might try i with a pistol that is not on my permit, but I really think it is better to be on the safe side.

You have wholly misinterpreted the intent of my question. I only find people who have an aversion to carrying firearms for self-defense 'wusses'.

I found the inquiry pertinent because while issuing agencies can place restrictions on carry activities, the restrictions must be reasonable and imprinted on the license that was issued.

If the condition isnt imprinted on your license, the issuing agency is not fulfilling 12050 (c). If the restriction of "No exposed carry" or "No open carry" appears on the license, it creates greater restrictions on a licensee than on the general public, which essentially creates two classes of citizen governed with two standards of law. If the issuing agency is treating two classes of citizen differently- the restriction being unconstitutional, is not reasonable.

People with a license to carry concealed are exercising the privilege to conceal which has been made unlawful by statute. Licensees have as much right to carry openly as anyone else, since exposed carry has not been outlawed. So, in my view, the issuing agency is abbrogating the licensees rights under color of law with that restriction.

unusedusername
11-11-2008, 9:21 PM
If it is in or near SF let me know. I might be up for one :P

nicki
11-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Actually, San Fran was the city I was thinking we should do a open march in.

Why hold back, it we are going to do it, let's do it in a place where we will attract the most attention.

Let's get Nordyke done first, then have top gun legal team all lined up first, then do it.

Nicki