PDA

View Full Version : Travelling Through CA Question

VegasND
11-08-2008, 6:44 AM
I will be driving to a destination in Nevada soon and want to know what I have to do to stay legal for the short time I'm in California. Notice on the linked map that there is no destination inside CA on this highway, and just one intersection with another. Is my AK or AR with mags legal if locked in the trunk? What about my CCW pistol? Hi-Caps for the CCW?

I realize this is addressed in Federal Law, but I don't know the details. Just what do I have to do while traveling to avoid problems. Assume I'll do nothing wrong, but traffic stops are always a possibility.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=37.545525&lon=-117.781595&zoom=12&q1=dyer%20nevada&q2=lida%2C%20nevada

ar15barrels
11-08-2008, 7:31 AM
Transport them via the CA state laws and you are fine.
Your trunk is considered a locked container as long as you can't access them from within the car.
Unloaded, in the trunk.
No ammo attached to the guns.
Loaded mags are generally fine, just not in the same container as the gun.
Hicap handgun mags don't matter.
Federal law protects your right to "pass through" a state if the guns are legal at both your starting point and your destination.

bulgron
11-08-2008, 7:38 AM
What AR15barrels said.

Plus, if you don't give them any reason to notice you/pull you over, you really don't have anything to worry about. Just go with the flow of traffic and slip by unnoticed. It's always the best thing to do, anyway.

It isn't like California has random checkpoints to stop people and search their cars for scary rifles, you know.

VegasND
11-08-2008, 7:39 AM
Thanks AR! Let me restate this to make sure I'm ok.

If i take my pistol and lock it in the trunk with my rifle I'm legal for the firearms.

I'm ok to transport high capacity magazines, loaded or not, in the trunk with the guns as long as they are in a different container inside the trunk.

Do the separate containers inside the trunk need to be locked also?

Sorry if I'm being tedious, but you guys post about problems you have with police that just don't happen here. I don't want to have any headaches.

bulgron: I know I'm not likely to be stopped while in CA, sometimes things happen and I don't want problems.

ar15barrels
11-08-2008, 7:50 AM
I'm ok to transport high capacity magazines, loaded or not, in the trunk with the guns as long as they are in a different container inside the trunk.

Do the separate containers inside the trunk need to be locked also?

Yes.

No.

JDay
11-08-2008, 8:29 AM
I will be driving to a destination in Nevada soon and want to know what I have to do to stay legal for the short time I'm in California. Notice on the linked map that there is no destination inside CA on this highway, and just one intersection with another. Is my AK or AR with mags legal if locked in the trunk? What about my CCW pistol? Hi-Caps for the CCW?

I realize this is addressed in Federal Law, but I don't know the details. Just what do I have to do while traveling to avoid problems. Assume I'll do nothing wrong, but traffic stops are always a possibility.

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=37.545525&lon=-117.781595&zoom=12&q1=dyer%20nevada&q2=lida%2C%20nevada

If you transport the firearms in a legal manner from one state they are legal in to another state they are legal in you are fine so long as you are just passing through. Here's everything you need to know.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

JDay
11-08-2008, 8:30 AM
What AR15barrels said.

Plus, if you don't give them any reason to notice you/pull you over, you really don't have anything to worry about. Just go with the flow of traffic and slip by unnoticed. It's always the best thing to do, anyway.

It isn't like California has random checkpoints to stop people and search their cars for scary rifles, you know.

That would be a violation of the 4th amendment.

Quiet
11-08-2008, 9:07 AM

They do the "random" check points to search for illegal fireworks not "scary rifles".
:TFH:

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_B_checkpoints30.43680cf.html