PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Calif., have questions

Dr. Strangelove
11-07-2008, 6:50 PM
Hi everyone, I am a college student in Tucson, Ariz. and I'll be graduating soon. I'm going to be moving to Calif. after I graduate, and I have a few questions about gun ownership over there.

I sold my AK recently to buy a gun I thought was legal for Calif. It's a S&W M&P 45. I chose the gun because it shows on the state list of OK guns, has a 10 round magazine, and fit my hand better than anything I have shot. I took it out to the range the next day and loved it. The gun was everything I wanted in a pistol, and pointed so naturally for me.

Well I started doing some more research on Calif. gun laws, I know I can take my new pistol to Calif. as long as I get it registered within 60 days of my arrival. I also know I am probably going to have to take a class on handgun safety. I am fine with all of this, it's a small price to pay for being a legal citizen.

Then I saw that all guns for Calif. need to have the magazine disconnect safety. This is an option on the M&P and one mine does not have. Is this going to be an issue for taking it across the state line? I understand there is a way for guns that are passed from parents to children to get past some of the rules. Is this a possible route I can take?

I just bought the gun, and bought it for the sole purpose of bringing it with me on the move. I am kicking myself for not doing more research before I bought it, but this is the first I've herd about the mag safety law. I bought it new, and can't really afford to buy another one and sell the one I have. Please tell me there is a way to make this work.

Thanks for your advice.

-Mark

sorensen440
11-07-2008, 6:56 PM
Hi everyone, I am a college student in Tucson, Ariz. and I'll be graduating soon. I'm going to be moving to Calif. after I graduate, and I have a few questions about gun ownership over there.

I sold my AK recently to buy a gun I thought was legal for Calif. It's a S&W M&P 45. I chose the gun because it shows on the state list of OK guns, has a 10 round magazine, and fit my hand better than anything I have shot. I took it out to the range the next day and loved it. The gun was everything I wanted in a pistol, and pointed so naturally for me.

Well I started doing some more research on Calif. gun laws, I know I can take my new pistol to Calif. as long as I get it registered within 60 days of my arrival. I also know I am probably going to have to take a class on handgun safety. I am fine with all of this, it's a small price to pay for being a legal citizen.

Then I saw that all guns for Calif. need to have the magazine disconnect safety. This is an option on the M&P and one mine does not have. Is this going to be an issue for taking it across the state line? I understand there is a way for guns that are passed from parents to children to get past some of the rules. Is this a possible route I can take?

I just bought the gun, and bought it for the sole purpose of bringing it with me on the move. I am kicking myself for not doing more research before I bought it, but this is the first I've herd about the mag safety law. I bought it new, and can't really afford to buy another one and sell the one I have. Please tell me there is a way to make this work.

Thanks for your advice.

-Mark

Welcome to California

You dont need to take a class but you do need to take a silly little test that any 4th grader could pass
(any gun store can give you the test and its good for 5 years and the cost is $25 IIRC)

You can actually bring in guns that are not on the approved list since you are moving here (probably a good idea if there is anything you want not on the list) and guns here dont need a magazine disconnect they simply need one to be added to the list of guns certified for sale in california (again your not worried about that with the one you own already)

as far as the AK there are ways to own them here as well AR's too
do a search or check out the front page of the site and read up on OLL (off list lowers)

ke6guj
11-07-2008, 6:57 PM
You're fine.

You can import your non-Rostered handgun with you just fine. Just do the personal handgun importer registration within the 60 days.

People moving into the state are allowed to bring in any handgun that is not otherwise illegal, such as a pistol AW. Not being rostered is not illegal to possess, just for a dealer to sell to a private citizen.

If you can afford to, now is the time to buy any non-Rostered handguns that you may want in the future and bring them with you.

GMONEY
11-07-2008, 7:15 PM
Buy a bunch of HK45's before you move and you will be rich when you sell them here...

Dr. Strangelove
11-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the information, that's really good news.

Buy a bunch of HK45's before you move and you will be rich when you sell them here...

LOL, yah? What do they go for out there?

hoffmang
11-08-2008, 12:31 PM

More than what you can buy them for in AZ. Note that you can only sell 5 handgun transactions per year.

-Gene

nothing4u
11-08-2008, 12:32 PM
1500 alteast.

cmaynes
11-08-2008, 2:09 PM
Move to Nevada...

Suppressors and Class three weapons are legal there, and most of the counties do sign off for the tax stamps.

Hk996
11-08-2008, 2:37 PM
I would stay in arizona!

Quiet
11-08-2008, 3:35 PM
Move to Nevada...

Suppressors and Class three weapons are legal there, and most of the counties do sign off for the tax stamps.

Stay in Arizona, they do the same there.

JDay
11-08-2008, 7:25 PM
I also know I am probably going to have to take a class on handgun safety. I am fine with all of this, it's a small price to pay for being a legal citizen.

It's not a class just a quick test of common sense firearms handling, imo just an excuse to get another $25 out of you.

Then I saw that all guns for Calif. need to have the magazine disconnect safety.

That only applies to semi-auto handguns purchased from an FFL in California.

Thanks for your advice.

-Mark

You're fine, just make sure that you have 10 round magazines for it and disassemble any standard capacity ones that came with the pistol.

JDay
11-08-2008, 7:31 PM
Thanks for the information, that's really good news.

You could get as much as $2000 depending on how many are for sale. Personally I'll stick with the USP in .40.

Dr. Strangelove
11-08-2008, 10:54 PM
You could get as much as $2000 depending on how many are for sale. Personally I'll stick with the USP in .40.

You're kidding... I'd buy five if I could sell them for 2k. Plus, a buddy of mine is moving to Redlands before I am, he'd buy another 5, I'm sure, if people actually wanted them.

JDay
11-08-2008, 11:15 PM
You're kidding... I'd buy five if I could sell them for 2k. Plus, a buddy of mine is moving to Redlands before I am, he'd buy another 5, I'm sure, if people actually wanted them.

Check the forums over at hkpro.