PDA

View Full Version : So I want to build my own shotgun...

scewper
11-07-2008, 3:15 PM
I've always wanted to make my own magazine fed pump shotgun, sort of like the valtro one. So recently I took an AutoCAD class in SF and I've been working on a 3D model of all the parts for my pump shotgun. I'm probably about 75% done. Its a fun little project, even if I can't really get it made, but I'd like to find out how to go about doing so if possible.

From what I understand it is okay to build your own longarm as long as doesn't have characteristics of an 'assault weapon' right? I don't plan on selling anything. I just want to make one for myself. Can I have the parts made at a cnc machine shop and put it together myself?

JDay
11-07-2008, 3:24 PM
I've always wanted to make my own magazine fed pump shotgun, sort of like the valtro one. So recently I took an AutoCAD class in SF and I've been working on a 3D model of all the parts for my pump shotgun. I'm probably about 75% done. Its a fun little project, even if I can't really get it made, but I'd like to find out how to go about doing so if possible.

From what I understand it is okay to build your own longarm as long as doesn't have characteristics of an 'assault weapon' right? I don't plan on selling anything. I just want to make one for myself. Can I have the parts made at a cnc machine shop and put it together myself?

Any shotgun that has the ability to accept a removable magazine is an assault weapon in the state of California. I would destroy this build asap.

SB 23 Assault Weapon Characteristics

"A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine."

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/genchar2.php

scewper
11-07-2008, 3:31 PM
Any shotgun that has the ability to accept a removable magazine is an assault weapon in the state of California. I would destroy this build asap.

Yes I know..

... magazine fed pump shotgun...

Knight
11-07-2008, 3:32 PM
Sounds like a cool project. Keep us updated if you decide to go ahead with it.

Sorry, don't really have anything more helpful to add. :D

ke6guj
11-07-2008, 3:34 PM
from the OP, it doesn't appear anything has been physically build, just drawn up. And that statement is incorrect, you can hae a detachable magazine shotgun as long as it is not a semi-automatic shotgun.

The valtro detachable-mag pump-action shotguns are legal.

GuyW
11-07-2008, 3:35 PM
CA's stupid "zip gun" law is the problem. A homebuilt gun has to be a copy of one sold in commerce.

Do a search here for zipgun or zip gun...

bwiese
11-07-2008, 3:38 PM

Bzzzt, WRONG. Please stop spreading misinformation.

This detachable magazine only applies to *semiauto* shotguns.

Also, note that detachable magazine does not mean magazine can't be removed (i.e, affixed with a BB, etc.)

12276.1PC(a)
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of
the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a
detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

The only time semiauto status is irrelevant is if it has a revolving cylinder.

bwiese
11-07-2008, 3:40 PM
CA's stupid "zip gun" law is the problem. A homebuilt gun has to be a copy of one sold in commerce.

Do a search here for zipgun or zip gun...

As long as the overall design is reasonably close to a commercial design, fine.

The zip gun law was to stop boomsticks built with galvanized pipe.

scewper
11-07-2008, 3:43 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the zip-gun thing for guns disguised as something else, like an umbrella for example?

I'm planning to use a remington barrel and a similar bolt (needs to be a bit longer). Obviously it will look like any other regular shotgun if it meets the minimum length and other requirements.

JDay
11-07-2008, 4:51 PM
Yes I know..

My mistake, I read over your original post a little too quick.