PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about thread protectors.

bbc1969
11-06-2008, 6:30 PM
Hi all,

Most likely a very stupid question, but will preface with the fact that I have never "built" anything firearms related. I want to make sure I am ok with my plan.

I am completing my first OLL build (or more accurately "assembly") of a Stag Arms complete lower with MMG, and an CMMG 16" med contour, mid length gas upper.

I had not decided what type of compensator I wanted when I ordered the upper. I have purchased a "thread protector" in the meantime with some of the stuff I have ordered.

Is there any problem firing the rifle with the thread protector installed? Or is this exactly what it was made for?

Oops, should have added that I do not have the upper yet, it is not yet delivered, so haven't been able to look, or test fit the parts.

AdamM
11-06-2008, 8:23 PM
Thats what its for!

devildog999
11-06-2008, 8:31 PM
That is ok. Just a little heads up, are you getting a MMG and a BB, or goin MMG to avoid BB? If you are going for a regular magazine release, you cannot have any evil features which includes a flash hider.

bbc1969
11-06-2008, 11:10 PM
That is ok. Just a little heads up, are you getting a MMG and a BB, or goin MMG to avoid BB? If you are going for a regular magazine release, you cannot have any evil features which includes a flash hider.

Good point. No, my rifle is featureless. I have some hi cap mags that I owned prior to 1/1/2000 (I moved here in early '99). These were gear that I owned when I was a "local" LEO in another jurisdiction. Up until recently I believed they were "worthless" here in CA as I couldn't have an AR series rifle (until i discovered OLL and associated information). I was keeping them for when I retire and that most likely won't be in CA. Now I know about the OLL and "featureless" build, I am going to put them to use

Just to confirm, a muzzle brake or compensator is legal if I choose to add one to an otherwise featureless build right?

This is what I have (or is on order):

*Stag Arms Lower with A2 stock and monster man grip.

*CMMG upper with no muzzle accessory as of now (hence thread protector)

I will NOT have any of the following: flash hider, forward pistol grip, collapsible stock, flare or grenade launcher attachment, nor regular pistol grip.

I will utilize the mmg featureless build to utilize my hi cap mags.

I'm good to go right???

shark92651
11-07-2008, 7:36 AM
That parts list should do it. I have a couple thread protectors in stock if you haven't decided on a brake yet. Aside from the looks, a brake on a 5.56 is not really necessary - and it may "disturb your neighbors" at the range :D

AR15 Thread Protector Knurled (http://riflegear.com/p-271-ar-15-thread-protector-knurled.aspx)
AR15 Thread Protector Plain (http://riflegear.com/p-272-ar-15-thread-protector-plain.aspx)

bbc1969
11-07-2008, 8:35 AM
Shark,

Thanks for the info, and thanks for the quick shipping on my first order (got a thread protector and some additional mags the other day).

devildog999
11-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah your list should work