PDA

View Full Version : Please, some advice.

InLiberty
11-06-2008, 5:52 PM
:DHey guys, just a quick introduction: I'm a cadet at The Citadel: Military College of South Carolina. I am a native of beautiful Southern CA. 909 to be specific. Before I left for The Citadel this year, I purchased a Remington 870 for home defense.

Unfortunately, we know how things are and I'm looking to acquire something as a SHTF firearm. I have just recently looked into what is required to build an OLL AR. Here's my problem: I would like to purchase/build one before 2008 ends. The thing is, I'll only be in CA for five days later this month and from Dec17-Jan10. I know for sure I can't make my purchase this month because of the ten day wait, but do you think it's feasible for me to purchase/build an AR in December when I have more time?

The reason I'm asking is because I keep reading about how lowers are getting sold out and are becoming rarer. I'm trying not to drink the kool-aid but it's actually got me a little panicked. Now, if it seems like I can't acquire an AR by the end of the year, is it more feasible for me to get my hands on a M14 or M30(Hopefully M14)? If so, how much more feasible?

I intend to go to ColdWarShooters since they seem reputable and only an hour drive from my residence in CA. Does ColdWar carry M14s/M30?

I appreciate all the help guys, I know you guys get lots of newb questions. :D

easy
11-06-2008, 5:53 PM
Buy the parts where you are, less hassle.

InLiberty
11-06-2008, 6:05 PM
Well I wouldn't be able to store the parts in the barracks and I'd still need to get my lower in CA, right?

Saigon1965
11-06-2008, 7:14 PM
Some FFL will start DROS for you early then you show up for the pick up - Good luck with your build.

Never been to CWS but they do have a website, they are one of our sponsor here -

dchang0
11-06-2008, 7:30 PM
Yeah, you don't have to pick up the gun EXACTLY on the tenth day. You have up to 30 days to pick it up before you have to DROS it over again. So, check with your FFL of choice to see if they are cool with hanging on to your DROSed gun for a bit after the ten days, then you can start the DROS in November and pick it up on Dec 17th.

Unless of course Dec 17th is more than 30 days from when you'll be here in November, but I'm guessing you're coming home for the Thanksgiving holiday...

InLiberty
11-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Okay, I have set up a plan: I am going to buy the Stag Arms Model 2H complete receiver online now and have it shipped to my residence in CA. Once I actually arrive in CA, I will go to a shop like ColdWar and purchase a fully assembled OLL and just piece them together. Is there anything I'm missing here?

Just to confirm, the Stag Arms Model 2H IS CA legal, correct?

Thank You. BTW, if there's anyone with an assembled OLL looking to sell around Thanksgiving, shoot me a PM.

stphnman20
11-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Okay, I have set up a plan: I am going to buy the Stag Arms Model 2H complete receiver online now and have it shipped to my residence in CA. Once I actually arrive in CA, I will go to a shop like ColdWar and purchase a fully assembled OLL and just piece them together. Is there anything I'm missing here?

Just to confirm, the Stag Arms Model 2H IS CA legal, correct?

Thank You. BTW, if there's anyone with an assembled OLL looking to sell around Thanksgiving, shoot me a PM.
Yes it's legal..

BroncoBob
11-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Best of luck on your build and welcome to the forum