PDA

View Full Version : Need an FFL that will transfer an AK to me

Aleksei Vasiliev
11-06-2008, 4:16 PM
Hello,

I am looking for an FFL near San Diego that will not mind doing an out of state transfer of an AK (something like this: http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/product.sc?categoryId=4&productId=91 ) to me. The first FFL I tried refused, stating that it is illegal.

Thanks.

Original message: I can't find clear info on the Bureau of Firearms' website ( http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/ ) about what I need to do to become an owner of a firearm. Specifically, one like this: http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/product.sc?categoryId=4&productId=91

Can anybody help me out with the process I need to go through?

Thanks so much.

nobs11
11-06-2008, 4:20 PM
How old are you?

Are you a citizen or have a green card?

Have you ever been convicted of a felony or otherwise prohibited from firearm ownership?

If the answers are over 18, yes, no then find a firearms dealer that will do the transfer for you. Buy the item you want and have it shipped to the dealer. Go to the dealer, tell him it's your first gun and he'll explain the procedure to you.

Where are you located? A helpful Calguns member might be able to introduce you to guns.

Aleksei Vasiliev
11-06-2008, 4:21 PM
I am 19.
I am a citizen born in California.
No criminal charges of any kind.

So all I need to do is find an FFL and he'll walk me through it?

Thanks.

What Just Happened?
11-06-2008, 4:25 PM
That is correct. Although, not all FFL's will want to deal with what is basically an AK. If you can post your location, we can help you find one.

nobs11

Yep. Find one that is OLL friendly, i.e., understands OLL issues since that is what you are looking into.

Where are you located? Someone here will direct you to one.

sn0rky
I am 19.
I am a citizen born in California.
No criminal charges of any kind.

Thanks.

yup, just have proper government issued ID that states your physical address and make sure your arent a felon.

Aleksei Vasiliev
11-06-2008, 4:29 PM
I can deal with any FFL near zip codes 92122 or 92037.

nobs11
11-06-2008, 4:33 PM
I can deal with any FFL near zip codes 92122 or 92037.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124678

Plenty around San Diego.

Linh
11-06-2008, 6:07 PM
Not all FFL are willing to deal with those type of weapons.

If you can't find any FFL in your area willing to transfer then you can alway check with:

Don Gussler 619.258.2543 Santee

Aleksei Vasiliev
11-07-2008, 5:06 PM
Checked out Southern California Gun, as they are on the list of OLL stocking dealers.

When I told him I was looking into purchasing an AK clone online (Century Arms WASR-10), he stated that it is illegal. He said that all AKs are illegal as they are on a ban list.
He then pointed out their AR-15 lowers ($500, the price of the AK I am looking to get). Isn't the AR-15 in basically the same exact situation as the AK?

On my way out, I noticed that the store was selling an "AK22", an AK in .22LR. Apparently this is somehow more legal than an AK in 7.62x39.

In the future I will be calling ahead to any dealer I go to.

nobs11
11-07-2008, 5:18 PM
Checked out Southern California Gun, as they are on the list of OLL stocking dealers.

When I told him I was looking into purchasing an AK clone online (Century Arms WASR-10), he stated that it is illegal. He said that all AKs are illegal as they are on a ban list.
He then pointed out their AR-15 lowers ($500, the price of the AK I am looking to get). Isn't the AR-15 in basically the same exact situation as the AK?

On my way out, I noticed that the store was selling an "AK22", an AK in .22LR. Apparently this is somehow more legal than an AK in 7.62x39.

In the future I will be calling ahead to any dealer I go to.

Sounds like FUD. Useful info, thanks. Yes, always call ahead. A lot of dealers have their head up their behinds when it comes to off list lowers and rifles.

surfingpl
11-07-2008, 5:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience. Not sure how the conversation was approached, but so cal gun is very oll friendly in my experience. Do you know the name of the person you talked to?

I will say that a some gun stores in San Diego (including So Cal Gun) would much rather sell you one of their own guns than transfer ANY gun from an online vendor. The basically don't make enough money to even cover their time on a transfer, I think that is the reasoning?

Keep it up though, you will get it. Lot's of good reviews on here about gusslers, you should call him. Also be sure to check the private sale market here.

Aleksei Vasiliev
11-07-2008, 5:33 PM
Don't know his name, and I started off by asking the procedure to get my first gun.

Anyway, I'm going to keep looking everywhere until I can get an AK.

Fantasma
11-07-2008, 5:43 PM
Anyway, I'm going to keep looking everywhere until I can get an AK.

Just have the AK that you listed shipped to a cooperating FFL.

Now that you have found your AK your question should be "Guys, Please help..which FFL around me will transfer an AK"

There you go. Find out from fellow calgunners the best place to do a transfer....

If you have it shipped be prepared to pay a 30-100 dollar fee for an out of state transfer...

CJN8
11-07-2008, 6:59 PM
Gussler's is your best bet. Don transferred a Lancaster AK for me about a month ago. He is friendly and knowledgeable. I plan to have him DROS an AR style lower for me here shortly.

tron18
11-10-2008, 4:49 PM
why don't you check out De Chiel Firearms (name of website)?? He's located in Chula Vista. He can help you out with your AK transfer or any questions you got. He help me out with my Saiga .223 rifle I ordered ^^.