PDA

View Full Version : Raahauges pheasant/Chukar hunt

popndrop
11-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm thinking about taking my dog out to run on the birds out at Raahauges pheasant club tomorrow. If you're interested, its always nice to be out there with other folks. It's an early morning affair - have to be out there at 6:30-7 to register. Then depending on the weather, probably be done around noonish. I was out last week, and it was so damn dry and hot that it wasn't a great time, but there was a little rain this week, so the dog should be able to work much better this week.
I'm willing to bring Newbies if you're up for it....But, please no "Tacticooks", meaning that please don't show up in desert camo with an 18" barrel on your maverick shotgun with a bandolero of buckshot and slugs around your chest and knee and elbow pads. These are small and helpless birds that don't require you to wear body armor. Not to hate on the Tacticool kids out there...I have my fair share of gear, including but not limited to gas masks and body armor...that being said, there's a time and a place for everything.

If you're interested in coming along for a leisurely day of birds hunting (its a great way to get introduced to the sport), get in touch with me and i'll let you know what you should have or bring. If you don't have a shotgun with the correct set-up, I'll even let you use one of my over/unders.

PND

wildcard
11-06-2008, 2:55 PM
Aw.. wish I could make it out tomorrow. You could have saved me $50 on the dog handling charge! I'd run out there with you if you decide to do this again Mon -Thur.

I've been there once and missed one of my birds :( It makes for a leisurely day but it's a little expensive.

forgiven
11-06-2008, 6:33 PM
You sure have one handsome dog.:cool:

forgiven
11-06-2008, 6:40 PM
I wanted to add that offering to others to hunt with you, is kind and a rarity these days. Just bad timing for me, maybe better luck next time.:patriot:

Gunaria
11-06-2008, 9:13 PM
That's mighty fine of you to offer this hunt up. But I wish you would have given more than one days notice. Maybe both of our dogs could have worked together. Well maybe another time then. Send me a PM next time you plan on heading out there. Hope your buddy and you have a good time.

xYourLocalAR15x
11-07-2008, 4:03 AM
popndrop, you have a private message shooting your way :)

Shoot, just realized this is for friday, not saturday

popndrop
11-07-2008, 1:20 PM
hey guys, thanks for the great response!
I'm sorry that it was such last minute. I'll do better of planning next time.
I ended up going out with just me and my dog Buck. We had a great time. It was pretty breezy/windy, which has it's benefits and downfalls - the dog was able to find all the birds very quickly, but the wind helped the birds fly very fast too...so final score was -
Buck -5 points,
Me - 3 birds in the bag
Chukars - 2 living the good life in the olive orchard

I'll be sure to plan better next time. But if any of you guys want to go, let me know I work for myself, so I have a very open schedule and love to get out. It's a pretty easy hunt, and usually your done around 11 or 12, so you have the rest of the day to work or what not.

Get in touch,
PND (mike)