PDA

View Full Version : Noob to AR's - Short list of gear...am I missing anything?

MRboost
11-06-2008, 7:56 AM
Hello All,

Noobie here. Just trying to find out if I've got the essentials covered. This is my first AR and I'm going to be using it for outdoor range duty 50yd and 100yd. I've compiled a small list of goodies and want to know if I've missed something obvious?

-Freakshow mid length AR
-(3) Magpul 10/30 Black Pmags
-RifleGear Bullet tool
-AR Cleaning kit
-Starlight or similar locking hard case
-1000 rounds of ammo (going to local gunshow. Don't know what brand to buy?)

Eventually I want to step up to a free floating rail system (VLTOR CASV - M or Daniel Defense Omega 9" Mid), but I'm not sure what optics and flip ups I should get?

I have gathered it's probably a good idea to shoot this thing as is for now and see what I like and don't like before I go on some sort of spending spree, although tempting:D. I don't know if I want to stick with the fixed front sights w/ a flip up rear or move to flip ups front and rear.

Thanks in advance for the help/advice.

Regards,

-Ken

Gator Monroe
11-06-2008, 7:59 AM
Wolf ammo (Get ready to build a Retro M16A1/AR hybrid next)

MILLITIAof1
11-06-2008, 8:03 AM
you need lube

MILLITIAof1
11-06-2008, 8:05 AM
Also try to get PMC ammo, its very fairly priced and pretty good stuff.
If you buy wolf you can not save your brass and reload it down the road(or sell it).

Gator Monroe
11-06-2008, 8:08 AM
Also try to get PMC ammo, its very fairly priced and pretty good stuff.
If you buy wolf you can not save your brass and reload it down the road(or sell it).

He said noob (So Reloading is ,well the future)

MRboost
11-06-2008, 8:17 AM
Yep I'm a noob. Factory fresh for me.

Mississippi
11-06-2008, 9:07 AM
I'm not a noob and still shot factory fresh. I hate reloading!

MILLITIAof1
11-06-2008, 9:12 AM
1000 rounds of wolf =$280
1000 rounds of pmc or armscore=$350
1000 rounds of once fired brass=$75-$100

think about it

MRboost
11-06-2008, 9:36 AM
Yah I know its cheaper I just dont want to damage the gun or my face :D

MILLITIAof1
11-06-2008, 9:45 AM
the point I was trying to make was that steel cased ammo sucks but its cheaper up front.
If you buy good ammo you can save the brass and sell it to guys who reload and you will probably end up cheaper than buying steel cased ammo.

homi mike
11-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Ken you are into guns now? LoL didn't see you mention it on NCE? Dude you have too many expensive hobbies ;)

Homi mike on NCE

dlouie87
11-06-2008, 10:15 AM
you need lube

off topic....what lube do you use for you rifle? Breakfree work?

And back to the ammo question. I just bought a 1k of PMC.....

I think you can reload the prvi ammo too.

MILLITIAof1
11-06-2008, 10:21 AM
off topic....what lube do you use for you rifle? Breakfree work?

And back to the ammo question. I just bought a 1k of PMC.....

I think you can reload the prvi ammo too.

yes clp is good stuff.
Good move buying the pmc!

MRboost
11-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Ahhhh now I see what ya mean. Some of the indoor places don't let me collect any of the spent casings, but maybe the outdoor ones will?

MRboost
11-09-2008, 5:45 PM
Hey how's it going Mike? Yah just got into this hobby as well. Been shooting handguns for about half a year and have always loved AR's, but never got a chance to try one out.

After holding one at the store I had to have one :D

Just bought 600 rounds of PMC bronze and now I need to find a rifle bag/case. Starlight is nice, but too much $$$ for me. I am looking to spend at most 70 bucks. Only need it for transport and to carry mags and some tools. Will have a range bag for a pistol, cleaning kit and ammo.

Can anyone recommend a brand of bag in this price range? I have a Midlegth AR so will 36" be long enough?

nobs11
11-09-2008, 8:01 PM
Ahhhh now I see what ya mean. Some of the indoor places don't let me collect any of the spent casings, but maybe the outdoor ones will?

Skip the indoor ranges. They screw you by charging you range fees and then selling YOUR spent brass. Go to an outdoor range that will "let" you collect your own brass. Indoor ranges are for handguns, not rifles.

slappomatt
11-09-2008, 8:23 PM
Skip the indoor ranges. They screw you by charging you range fees and then selling YOUR spent brass. Go to an outdoor range that will "let" you collect your own brass. Indoor ranges are for handguns, not rifles.

this, taking shot guns and rifles to an indoor range is a waste of everyones time.

JDay
11-09-2008, 8:50 PM
the point I was trying to make was that steel cased ammo sucks but its cheaper up front.
If you buy good ammo you can save the brass and sell it to guys who reload and you will probably end up cheaper than buying steel cased ammo.

Steel cased ammo isn't good for the rifle either.

JDay
11-09-2008, 8:55 PM
Hey how's it going Mike? Yah just got into this hobby as well. Been shooting handguns for about half a year and have always loved AR's, but never got a chance to try one out.

After holding one at the store I had to have one :D

Just bought 600 rounds of PMC bronze and now I need to find a rifle bag/case. Starlight is nice, but too much $$$ for me. I am looking to spend at most 70 bucks. Only need it for transport and to carry mags and some tools. Will have a range bag for a pistol, cleaning kit and ammo.

Can anyone recommend a brand of bag in this price range? I have a Midlegth AR so will 36" be long enough?

Look at the bags at the store and pick one you like, as for a cleaning kit for the range all you really need is a boresnake and a can of clp. Did your AR come with the cleaning kit in the stock?