PDA

View Full Version : Obama - next steps...and precautions - AR

natasha69
11-06-2008, 8:42 AM
Last night, I was reviewing what the NRA said, and what Obama's campaign said about the 2nd amendment and guns in general.

If you believe the Obama camp, then your hunting rifles and handguns are not on his radar for now, but anything that can be classified as an assault weapon is.

With that in mind, and for those of you who might have gone through this before, what next steps should we take to make sure we can keep and utilize our new builds?

1) Assuming he might put a stranglehold on parts, we should finish our current work in progress, at least the AR specific parts.
2) Stock up on ammo.
3) Assuming the AWB gets put in place, what happens to our current builds? Will they require that we turn them in? Or are they grandfathered in? Would we need to register them (he hinted at this)? Is there a way to keep them?

There is no way I can read a crystal ball here, I'm just trying to think proactively so I (and we) can keep our toys and enjoy them out at the range.
The good thing about living in CA is that we're already under a strict watch so maybe the Federal ban won't get as tough as the CA ban?

Thanks in advance. All wise speculation and advice is welcome.

PS I realize this is partially a political discussion BUT I'd like for this discussion to focus on practive steps we need to take to be able to keep and enjoy the rifles that may or may not be affected by a new Federal AWB. So I put it in this particular forum. I hope the moderators are fine with that.

Mississippi
11-06-2008, 8:50 AM
I could be wrong and please feel free to correct me. But my local FFL said my OLLs are listed as a long gun. That sounds like a "hunting rifle" to me.

I am finishing up my other builds. I have a home in Mississippi so I am stocking up on mags also.

guess that means I need ammo to.

nobs11
11-06-2008, 8:58 AM
I could be wrong and please feel free to correct me. But my local FFL said my OLLs are listed as a long gun. That sounds like a "hunting rifle" to me.

Any rifle is a long gun.

The guy hasn't assumed office yet and no ban is on the table so panicking at this point seems pointless. He has other issues to deal with first.

It is unclear what kind of ban if any will be passed. All talks about what will happen is speculation.

It seems like people need justification to go buy more OLLs or to start panicking. If that's your thing, go ahead.

motorhead
11-06-2008, 9:15 AM
just to be safe, get a new shovel and some pvc pipe. panic buying is already underway nationwide.
i'm too broke right now to panic buy anything. i'll sit back and see what develops. i feel we're safe for at least a year but one good public massacre could spark another awb attempt.

AaronHorrocks
11-06-2008, 9:25 AM
The good thing about living in CA is that we're already under a strict watch so maybe the Federal ban won't get as tough as the CA ban?

:stupid:

My rights are already violated, so I don't mind if everyone else's rights get violated. :rolleyes:

natasha69
11-06-2008, 9:32 AM
guys, i didn't start this thread to invoke panic. i was just asking if these laws do get put in place, then what do we do?

i was too young to own a rifle when the first AWB was put in place, so for those of you who had them then, were you able to register them and have them grandfathered in? did they actually make you turn them in?

just some proactive solutions IF such a law were put in place.

vf111
11-06-2008, 9:39 AM
i was too young to own a rifle when the first AWB was put in place, so for those of you who had them then, were you able to register them and have them grandfathered in? did they actually make you turn them in?

just some proactive solutions IF such a law were put in place.

If you mean the Clinton Crime Bill (Fed AW ban) from 1994, no registration nor was there a requirement to turn anything in. If the antis had their choice it would've been in the FedAWB but they would've never gotten the votes. The Calif. AWB (SB23) that went into effect on Jan. 1, 2000 required registration but not confiscation. Again, the antis would've loved confiscation but would never get the votes. That's not to say they won't try it w/ the next one....and yes, there will be a next one. I predict within the first two years of BHO's term, there will be an AWB proposed; whether it'll pass or not is open to conjecture.

If you got the $$ now, pick up a couple of OLL for the heck of it - that'll only set you back $200-300 and you'll be helping out the economy!

AJAX22
11-06-2008, 9:49 AM

My rights are already violated, so I don't mind if everyone else's rights get violated. :rolleyes:

Whoah... I missed the :rolleyes: when I read this the first time.... I almost freaked out on you bigtime...

heh, carry on

Bad Voodoo
11-06-2008, 9:56 AM

:patriot:

I fear I'm getting so used to all the sheeple that I've stopped putting them on 'ignore.'

Corleone
11-06-2008, 11:23 AM
As a newbie who's broke and unemployed, I hope more people will respond with informative answers to the OP's question, esp. question #1: "1) Assuming he might put a stranglehold on parts, we should finish our current work in progress, at least the AR specific parts."

Since I have little money right now, I was thinking I could just buy a stripped OLL receiver and put it in the back of the safe for a year or two from now when my financial situation has improved. Would buying the serialized receiver effectively "get my foot in the door" in the event of an AW ban? Or does it have to be a completed build to "count"?

I've been reading for many hours a day on this site (and other) trying to get up to speed, so if this is answered somewhere already, please don't think I'm lazy -- I just haven't found the answers to that question yet.

MC

BroncoBob
11-06-2008, 11:28 AM
just to be safe, get a new shovel and some pvc pipe. panic buying is already underway nationwide.
i'm too broke right now to panic buy anything. i'll sit back and see what develops. i feel we're safe for at least a year but one good public massacre could spark another awb attempt.

You forgot the cosmoline.......:rofl2:

Tho_Sun
11-06-2008, 11:48 AM
You forgot the cosmoline.......:rofl2:

+1:laugh:

SVRider
11-06-2008, 12:02 PM
As a newbie who's broke and unemployed, I hope more people will respond with informative answers to the OP's question, esp. question #1: "1) Assuming he might put a stranglehold on parts, we should finish our current work in progress, at least the AR specific parts."

Since I have little money right now, I was thinking I could just buy a stripped OLL receiver and put it in the back of the safe for a year or two from now when my financial situation has improved. Would buying the serialized receiver effectively "get my foot in the door" in the event of an AW ban? Or does it have to be a completed build to "count"?

I've been reading for many hours a day on this site (and other) trying to get up to speed, so if this is answered somewhere already, please don't think I'm lazy -- I just haven't found the answers to that question yet.

MC

1) I don't see how "a stranglehold on parts" would occur. The lower is the only serial numbered, registered part

2) As the only serial number registered part, none of the rest of the build is traceable. I see no way for the government to prove what the state of the registered rifle you have is in at the time of registration. AR parts can be changed at the drop of a hat, barrel length, caliber, etc. Even with registration of a particular configuration, there is no requirement to keep it in that configuration. It would have already been registered as an AW regardless.

AJAX22
11-06-2008, 12:21 PM
All you need to stock up on is the lower receiver.

There will be shortages of parts in the near future, but ultimately they would be unable to regualte the non receiver components of the firearm in interstate commerce.

I would reccomend compleating as many 80% receivers as possible so as to have paperless AR15 rifles.

now for ak47's since the scarcity of parts kits is driving prices up, I would buy a couple of those if you want to homebuild an ak in the future.

but as far as ar15 component parts goes, I would focus on the lowers.

Scorpiusdeus
11-06-2008, 12:21 PM
From the looks of other threads it seems the race is already on to jack up the price of OLL.

Pretty sad.

nobs11
11-06-2008, 12:35 PM
All you need to stock up on is the lower receiver.

Stocking up on receivers was useless when the 94 ban passed.

sobiloff
11-06-2008, 12:36 PM
1) I don't see how "a stranglehold on parts" would occur. The lower is the only serial numbered, registered part
Easy: Massive excise tax on ammunition and components. ("Hunters don't need more than 100 rounds a year anyway.") A ban on hicap magazines (nicely compliments the CA one). Huge paperwork hurdles and/or mandatory serialization for new barrels/uppers in conjunction with microstamping or other restrictive technologies.

Face it, there's a million ways to infringe and there are some very creative people out there trying to think of (and pass) as many of them as possible. Most of it won't pass, and the things that do will usually get thrown out after a long legal struggle. However, it'll drive people away from firearms ownership and drain/bankrupt the manufacturers--and that's the intent.

I'm not saying its TEOTWAWKI, but I predict that it's going to take a lot of money to fight for our liberties and there are going to be some significant new hassles for enthusiasts.

Folks are stocking up on ammo and magazines for a reason. If you don't have an AR15 yet, at least buy yourself a lower for Christmas so that you stand a chance of being grandfathered in case any new laws are passed. Plus, it gets you started towards owning a great American rifle! Magazines probably aren't as big a priority in CA since we can only buy new 10-rounders anyway, but ammo is always valuable. 5.56/223 supply has been tight and getting tighter for the past several years; buy what you can when you can without going into debt. (In fact, none of this stuff is worth going into debt for, IMHO, assuming you already have a rifle and a pistol of some sort.)

Just my penny (Obama took the other one)...

Jambi
11-06-2008, 12:36 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that regardless of Obama's administration, the legislature isn't suddenly going to be fast about things.

All this panic buying is pointless.

And shame on those sellers jacking up prices, but if people are willing to buy...we'll there's an idiot born every minute.

natasha69
11-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Stocking up on receivers was useless when the 94 ban passed.

how come?

nobs11
11-06-2008, 12:40 PM

IMHO, if you have little money right now, you should be concentrating on your financial stability than buying black rifles, especially in this crappy economy. ARs are cool but if SHTF other rifles can do the job as well. A crappy Mosin Nagant with an ammo stash is better than no rifle or a stripped OLL if you ever have to use it. Sorry if I sound like an old fart. But finances and family first, toys later.

To answer your question again, this talk of a ban is speculation. If a 1994 like ban passes your stripped lower is not going to do you any good. My advise would be wait a bit for the mania to subside and then build a complete rifle.

sigsauer887
11-06-2008, 1:33 PM
If you mean the Clinton Crime Bill (Fed AW ban) from 1994, no registration nor was there a requirement to turn anything in. If the antis had their choice it would've been in the FedAWB but they would've never gotten the votes. The Calif. AWB (SB23) that went into effect on Jan. 1, 2000 required registration but not confiscation. Again, the antis would've loved confiscation but would never get the votes. That's not to say they won't try it w/ the next one....and yes, there will be a next one. I predict within the first two years of BHO's term, there will be an AWB proposed; whether it'll pass or not is open to conjecture.

If you got the $$ now, pick up a couple of OLL for the heck of it - that'll only set you back $200-300 and you'll be helping out the economy!

There's a new ban proposed every year lol.

nobs11
11-06-2008, 1:41 PM
how come?

Only applied to already built rifles.

ironcross
11-06-2008, 2:08 PM
quick question, I was took young for the 94/Y2K bans. My dad was saying that people who registered their AWs a month later they got them takin away.

Is there any truth to that?

RW Dunn
11-06-2008, 2:11 PM
Last night, I was reviewing what the NRA said, and what Obama's campaign said about the 2nd amendment and guns in general.

If you believe the Obama camp, then your hunting rifles and handguns are not on his radar for now, but anything that can be classified as an assault weapon is.

With that in mind, and for those of you who might have gone through this before, what next steps should we take to make sure we can keep and utilize our new builds?

1) Assuming he might put a stranglehold on parts, we should finish our current work in progress, at least the AR specific parts.
2) Stock up on ammo.
3) Assuming the AWB gets put in place, what happens to our current builds? Will they require that we turn them in? Or are they grandfathered in? Would we need to register them (he hinted at this)? Is there a way to keep them?

There is no way I can read a crystal ball here, I'm just trying to think proactively so I (and we) can keep our toys and enjoy them out at the range.

PS I realize this is partially a political discussion BUT I'd like for this discussion to focus on practive steps we need to take to be able to keep and enjoy the rifles that may or may not be affected by a new Federal AWB. So I put it in this particular forum. I hope the moderators are fine with that.2 weeks:beatdeadhorse5:

Cypriss32
11-06-2008, 5:20 PM
He is not going to take office and ban guns the fricken day it happins. He has WAY more important things to do then that. The economy is on top right now, thats "why he was Elected". Now after the 2yr mark, something MIGHT happin. We need to use all of our resources to let our friends know when to make the calls. We can prevent something from happining based on the fact enough emails and calls will presued them not too, along with NOT getting voted back in. You all just need to relaxe for a awhile, the world hasnt ended and freedom hasnt ceased to exist that much yet......

tazmanian devil dog
11-06-2008, 5:45 PM
As far as I am concerned, I only own hunting arms. Like the man said "long guns". I wouldn't know what OLL was if it bit me!:rolleyes:

Mark One
11-06-2008, 5:49 PM
Heres a question I was wondering about.

Right now I need to get a few things to finish my AR build:

BCG
Charging Handle
Rear site
Magazines
Ammo

So... What should I focus on getting first? I am thinking the Magazines for my out of state shoots first. I have been told those high cap magazines will be the first to go. Then the BCG and charging handle.

Or what?

Linh
11-06-2008, 7:01 PM
Heres a question I was wondering about.

Right now I need to get a few things to finish my AR build:

BCG
Charging Handle
Rear site
Magazines
Ammo

So... What should I focus on getting first? I am thinking the Magazines for my out of state shoots first. I have been told those high cap magazines will be the first to go. Then the BCG and charging handle.

Or what?

Mags and ammo

1911_Mitch
11-06-2008, 7:59 PM
The Dems already have a AWB drafted. HR1022.

Remember, she wants to ban the barrel shroud, its a shoulder thingy:D

Anyone got a link to the video of that hilarous moment?

Mark One
11-06-2008, 8:19 PM
Mags and ammo

I figured... Too bad all the Pmags are sold out everywhere.

If someone has a reliable shop that will sell them as "rebuild kits" please PM me.

I will go hungry for the next couple weeks in order to have a stock of Magazines.

zeus45c
11-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Got you covered, Mitch.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rGpykAX1fo

DedEye
11-06-2008, 11:57 PM
There's a new ban proposed every year lol.

Exactly.

Just because Obama was elected doesn't mean that a ban is magically materializing. It's come up again, just as it has every year since the old ban lapsed.

motorhead
11-07-2008, 8:47 AM
i agree. he's going to be much too busy fixing the economy, ending the war and bringing universal healthcare to all americans to worry about taking our evil toys. those 3 items are must do for him or he suffers complete loss of face . he will be under the gun to show progress in all the above immediately. dare i say it, i sense fail!

AJAX22
11-07-2008, 9:14 AM
i agree. he's going to be much too busy fixing the economy, ending the war and bringing universal healthcare to all americans to worry about taking our evil toys. those 3 items are must do for him or he suffers complete loss of face . he will be under the gun to show progress in all the above immediately. dare i say it, i sense fail!

That wouldn't be a perfect reason for him to find a scapegoat for socail evils would it?

say.... like all those bad guns that are destroying our society?

Remember the FOPA in 86? That didn't have ANYTHING to do with the failing economy......

or the 94 ban.... couldn't possibly have been a scapegoat that the libs used to shift attention from the economic downturn going on?

heck NOTHING economically or politically significant was going on in 1934.... or 68....

guns couldn't possibly be used as a sacrificial lamb to draw attention away from more important issues...

Pred Thumper
11-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Good Night Line episode tonight ... catch on line if possible. Word is Obama will not mess with the current Supreme Court Ruling to leave guns in the hands of its citizens.

X-NewYawker
11-08-2008, 7:56 AM
This is a great point! Gun control is actually easy "feel good" legislation that makes great headlines -- (LA's Saturday night special ban, for example) and as we've said, as long as they leave those Remington 700s alone, most gun wners won't bat an eye.

That wouldn't be a perfect reason for him to find a scapegoat for socail evils would it?

say.... like all those bad guns that are destroying our society?

Remember the FOPA in 86? That didn't have ANYTHING to do with the failing economy......

or the 94 ban.... couldn't possibly have been a scapegoat that the libs used to shift attention from the economic downturn going on?

heck NOTHING economically or politically significant was going on in 1934.... or 68....

guns couldn't possibly be used as a sacrificial lamb to draw attention away from more important issues...

TonyM
11-08-2008, 9:48 AM
Panic is not good.

However, this is sitting around just waiting to be shaped more into a sweeping ban like HR 1022, and then for it's day on the floor:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-6257

That said, I'll admit it. I went a little into panic mode just before the election. I bought 3 handguns and 4 rifles in the last week, luckily before prices started jumping.

SC_Chewy
11-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I posted this in a previous thread but it bears repeating. P.S.....you can always tell who the gun owners who voted for Barrack Hussein Obama when they start discounting WHAT HE HAS ACTUALLY SAID! Not speculation.

Chances are he will inact some kind of AW ban. He served on the board of directors of the "The Joyce Foundation", the single largest supporter of Anti-Gun Marketing and legislation (sic) in the country.News Story "http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20080419/pl_politico/9722" and their official site
"http://www.joycefdn.org/Programs/GunViolence/". Read for yourself so you can squash people when they say he doesn't want to take your guns away.
from the story "In his appeal to gun owners, Obama has not emphasized his own legislative record, which includes supporting a ban on semiautomatic weapons and concealed weapons, and a limit on handgun purchases to one a month. He has blamed his staff for indicating on a questionnaire filled out during his 1996 state Senate bid under his name that he supports banning “the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns.” & "In a 2000 study called “Unsafe in Any Hands: Why America Needs to Ban Handguns,” the group concluded that Congress could and should ban handguns nationwide “soon” and allocate $16.25 billion to buy back the 65 million handguns it estimated were then owned by civilians.The study was funded partly by the Joyce Foundation, said Josh Sugarmann, the center’s executive director. “The Joyce Foundation gives us general support,” he said, though he added that the foundation’s continued funding of his group is primarily for efforts to study the public health effects of gun violence.
That appears to be the purpose of a majority of the 83 gun-violence grants totaling nearly $24 million approved by Joyce’s board from 1997 (the first year for which the foundation has posted its annual report online) through 2002"

Scary huh.......better clutch to your guns....

Cali-V
11-08-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm looking at ways to place and kept pressure on Congress and the Senate, my message is No AWB.

I believe that any legislation should focus only on criminal acquisition, possession, or use of firearms.

Remember there are a number of Demos/Repubs in Congress and the Senate who are pro 2A... Those members should be identified and contacted early and often... That list should be expanded to include moderates and then anti 2A'ers... Communication should be early and often...
And, don't forget panic buying only drives up prices... :(

dac41
11-08-2008, 1:47 PM

2) Stock up on ammo.

PS I realize this is partially a political discussion BUT I'd like for this discussion to focus on practive steps we need to take to be able to keep and enjoy the rifles that may or may not be affected by a new Federal AWB. So I put it in this particular forum. I hope the moderators are fine with that.

EVERYTHING IS ON THE RADAR. We have Bongo, and we have that Rahm Emanuel gun-grabbing ***** who worked with the Clintons.

The dems control everything now, and they will steamroll us. IF things keep going day to day but they just told us,

"We will have to do things that are very unpopular in JANUARY"

Unpopular decrees from messiah Bongo = massive unrest in the hordes of Bongo supporters, civil disturbance and riots and Blackwater coming in to take our guns, all by march. It is likely.

hoffmang
11-08-2008, 2:04 PM

How exactly did the state figure out whether the rifle you already owned was built before the law was passed exactly.

There will not be "turn ins." Takings is something even liberal judges don't like.

-Gene

nobs11
11-08-2008, 2:09 PM
How exactly did the state figure out whether the rifle you already owned was built before the law was passed exactly.

There will not be "turn ins." Takings is something even liberal judges don't like.

-Gene

If you can't find parts and certain uppers/types are banned like the last ban or all sold out and no new can be manufactured, you are left just holding on to the lower which is a useless piece of metal.

In any case, I don't think that is going to happen.

akspetsnaz
11-08-2008, 2:11 PM
i agree. he's going to be much too busy fixing the economy, ending the war and bringing universal healthcare to all americans to worry about taking our evil toys.

Exactly.

Bimmer2
11-08-2008, 9:31 PM

Huh? AFAIK, this is wrong. "Pre-ban" was "pre-ban," period. How would the gov't know if it was assembled or not?

nobs11
11-08-2008, 9:54 PM
Huh? AFAIK, this is wrong. "Pre-ban" was "pre-ban," period. How would the gov't know if it was assembled or not?

The '94 ban applied to complete rifles. In theory, you could have a pre-ban upper sitting in your cousin's garage and install it on your lower, but no new uppers with certain features were being made. Everything that was pre-ban was already gone or was being sold at inflated prices.

If the new ban (which I don't think will pass) says that it is illegal to manufacture "AW" parts, that lower won't help you because you won't find parts for it.

Bimmer2
11-08-2008, 10:21 PM
... no new uppers with certain features were being made. Everything that was pre-ban was already gone or was being sold at inflated prices.

I don't remember it quite this way... I was happy with my (no feature) M1 Carbine then.

What "features?" Bayo lugs? Threaded barrels? Flash hiders? Collapsible stocks? Threading barrels isn't rocket science. Flash hiders are dirt cheap, as are buttstocks. I'm not sure the OP needs a bayo lug.

I can't think of anything else that was specifically banned, but I do remember that "pre-ban" rifles were in demand, because it was at least legal to have all the "evil" looking features.

Ben

djp7558
11-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Don't forget he will be responsible for the appointment for up to three SUPREME COURT JUDGES !!!

Auto feeding firearms...GONE !!!
Auto feeding ammunition...GONE !!!
All other firearms...regulated and TAXED heavily !!!
All other ammunition...regulated and TAXED heavily !!!

He needs MONEY to bail-out the failing economy !!!
Where do you think it will come from ???

SHEEPLE !!!

Slack jawed droolers that did'nt think HE WOULD DO SUCH A THING SO SOON!!!

MARK MY WORDS!!!

Dan

nobs11
11-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Don't forget he will be responsible for the appointment for up to three SUPREME COURT JUDGES !!!

Auto feeding firearms...GONE !!!
Auto feeding ammunition...GONE !!!
All other firearms...regulated and TAXED heavily !!!
All other ammunition...regulated and TAXED heavily !!!

He needs MONEY to bail-out the failing economy !!!
Where do you think it will come from ???

SHEEPLE !!!

Slack jawed droolers that did'nt think HE WOULD DO SUCH A THING SO SOON!!!

MARK MY WORDS!!!

Dan

I will. I will also laugh at you 4 years from now when nothing like what you have said happens. There might be a lot of firearms owners in this country but the money that might be brought in from taxing them is a pittance compared to the overall economy. Don't forget to take your meds.

96GTS
11-08-2008, 10:55 PM
What kept someone from registering their built rifle, giving all the parts minus the lower to their buddy so he can register "his" built rifle, as only the lower has a SN that was recorded, correct? I was also too young back when the bans took place...

sorensen440
11-08-2008, 10:57 PM
This is just the first stage in the panic
just wait till they get ready to sign the bill
I bet we will see lowers going for 1k before this is all done

anthonyca
11-08-2008, 11:11 PM
I will. I will also laugh at you 4 years from now when nothing like what you have said happens. There might be a lot of firearms owners in this country but the money that might be brought in from taxing them is a pittance compared to the overall economy. Don't forget to take your meds.

Untill 1986 machine guns were not illegal and supressors still aren't. They just have a tax stamp placed on them. Look at how marijuana was banned federally, by a tax stamp but they never issued the stamp. It will not be to balance the budjet, it is about control. There are many ways they can go after guns even though they are all unconstitutional but the government pisses on the document they all swore to defend.
What did people like you say after the 1986 machine gun ban was inserted at around midnight after many of the law makers had gone home?

As debate for FOPA was in its final stages, Rep. William J. Hughes (D-N.J.) proposed an amendment to ban the civilian ownership or transfer of any fully-automatic weapon which was not registered by May 19, 1986. However, any such weapon manufactured and registered before the May 19 cutoff could still be legally owned and transferred by civilians.

Controversy exists regarding the validity of the amendment's inclusion into FOPA. The vote to include the amendment took place at night, when many of the lawmakers who would be opposed to its inclusion were not present. Also, the vote was an unrecorded voice vote, which some contend was inconclusive.[1]

Look at how people like sen. lautenberg and fienstien do business. They insert things into bills that are hundreds of pages long with just a few minutes left before a vote. Now with a president who wants these new laws he will sign it expediently. The gun grabbers don't have the votes for a real and public bill on anymore large gun bans so this is the way I see them going about this.

nobs11
11-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Untill 1986 machine guns were not illegal and supressors still aren't. They just have a tax stamp placed on them. Look at how marijuana was banned federally, by a tax stamp but they never issued the stamp. It will not be to balance the budjet, it is about control. There are many ways they can go after guns even though they are all unconstitutional but the government pisses on the document they all swore to defend.
What did people like you say after the 1986 machine gun ban was inserted at around midnight after many of the law makers had gone home?

As debate for FOPA was in its final stages, Rep. William J. Hughes (D-N.J.) proposed an amendment to ban the civilian ownership or transfer of any fully-automatic weapon which was not registered by May 19, 1986. However, any such weapon manufactured and registered before the May 19 cutoff could still be legally owned and transferred by civilians.

Controversy exists regarding the validity of the amendment's inclusion into FOPA. The vote to include the amendment took place at night, when many of the lawmakers who would be opposed to its inclusion were not present. Also, the vote was an unrecorded voice vote, which some contend was inconclusive.[1]

Look at how people like sen. lautenberg and fienstien do business. They insert things into bills that are hundreds of pages long with just a few minutes left before a vote. Now with a president who wants these new laws he will sign it expediently. The gun grabbers don't have the votes for a real and public bill on anymore large gun bans so this is the way I see them going about this.

I understand what you are saying and I don't deny that firearms rights are eroded little by little when people aren't paying attention. I was responding to the alarmist post above me (and some others) that talk about a complete gun ban, semi-auto ban, etc. This will not happen, even if a version of the '94 ban passes. We should do all that we can legislatively but the paranoia has been getting out of hand lately. No one is going to go door to door to grab our guns. Let us all calm down and do what is necessary rationally and thru proper channels.

In the meanwhile let us secure our financial future and family and not panic. If you max out those cards paying for all the inflated lowers, the collectors are going to come after you, not me. It is in the interests of the gun industry (manufacturers, dealers, magazines, etc.) to feed the paranoia. Let us all take it easy and take a deep breath and think for a minute.

SC_Chewy
11-09-2008, 7:32 AM
If you think you will skim under the radar causes he is going to be too busy fixing the economy etc, again, look at what he has said. not speculation. He won't have to waste his time drafting a bill or building a concensus. He has a democratic controlled congress that will send stuff to him to sign and he will. Im not trying to stir people up and Im not a kook nut. I read. I love how no one has responded to one point of what I posted earlier. Your right. guns are a low priority, so he would have no problem just signing whatever and moving on. He's not going to be the first black prez and then ban guns but to qoute kennedy, " we wont ban guns but we'll just do what were doing to cigarettes, regulate them out of use"

JohnnyRooks
11-09-2008, 8:14 AM
we wont ban guns but we'll just do what were doing to cigarettes, regulate them out of use"

really make sense to me..

hoffmang
11-09-2008, 9:44 AM
Ill reasoned paranoia does not become gun advocates.

If a Federal Assault Weapons ban were passed two things would happen. It would be challenged and thrown out by the Court under Heller and US v Staples. It would also cost control of one if not both houses putting them firmly back in Republican hands.

The other side of the gun debate never ceases to amaze at how dumb they are, but they aren't that dumb.

The real threat is legislation to close the gun show loophole. Think about it.

-Gene

Steve O
11-09-2008, 3:35 PM

2) As the only serial number registered part, none of the rest of the build is traceable. I see no way for the government to prove what the state of the registered rifle you have is in at the time of registration. AR parts can be changed at the drop of a hat, barrel length, caliber, etc. Even with registration of a particular configuration, there is no requirement to keep it in that configuration. It would have already been registered as an AW regardless.

humm. So guys, how did the register process of the old AW work?
Did you fill out a form and send it in, or did you have to do gown to the police department and do it on the spot?

Just say if a new ban was signed, and this ban kept track of the state of the receiver. They would have to give us some time to resister. well if its form registration and asked what state the rifle was in you could just check "complete" and send that in. If you actually have to have the rifle inspected, you could just swap all the parts form your one complete rifle to all the other receivers for the inspection...