PDA

View Full Version : Does this look funny????

Infidel
11-05-2008, 10:26 PM
So I ordered the Bushnell Trophy MP T-Dot scope for my AR and I overlooked an important detail...My BIG ***** Front Sight gets in the way!!!! So in a rush to have my new scope working for the Saturday Panoche shoot I bought this CAA 1" riser. The riser does it's job but I'm not sure that it looks or feels right because it's soo damn high! Please give me your opinions and any constructive suggestions you may have. I plan on ordering a different gas block and folding front sight so I guess this will be a temporary solution but I'm just not sure about it.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/aronreyes/ARwithBushy1.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/aronreyes/ARwithBushy.jpg

jmzhwells
11-05-2008, 10:28 PM
where did u get the riser? i desperately need one.

ghost
11-05-2008, 10:30 PM
the rifle looks good,the only thing is that riser puts your scope a bit too high.

Infidel
11-05-2008, 10:34 PM
the rifle looks good,the only thing is that riser puts your scope a bit too high.

yeah thats kinda what I was thinking

Infidel
11-05-2008, 10:35 PM
where did u get the riser? i desperately need one.

bought it from optics planet for $20

shark92651
11-05-2008, 10:42 PM
I've got this YHM riser in stock, raises it only 1/2"

YHM Rail Riser (http://riflegear.com/p-200-yankee-hill-scope-riser-mount.aspx)

But if you are going to replace the front sight with a folding one then I guess it is fine as a temporary solution - assuming you can get a decent cheek weld with it that high. As far as folding front sights, I really like the new ARMS #41B that folds yet still has that classic shape.

USN CHIEF
11-05-2008, 10:53 PM
It does make it look fugly, but if it works for now, just leave it like it is until you take the front site off.

aplinker
11-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Why is the front post an issue?

Just raise your head enough that you clear the front sight post. Focus on your target.

BroncoBob
11-06-2008, 4:29 AM
I put a KNS duplex cross hair sight on my front post and use it as a co- witness witht my Trophy. Works real good for me.

supermario
11-06-2008, 3:16 PM
If you want it to look more cool, just buy a carry handle and mount the scope on that, then it may still be high but it will look more "natural" is i guess the word im looking for.

What Just Happened?
11-06-2008, 3:48 PM
Does the front sight co-witness with the optic or does it get in the way of the reticle?

If it co-witnesses, then it's fine. If not, then yeah, you gotta do what you gotta do. Just remember the additional offset when you're shooting at close distances and how it affects the offset at different distances.

drifts1
11-06-2008, 5:43 PM
The MP Trophy co-witnesses with the standard FSB. It's GTG as is. I wouldnt add any type of riser as its already a big optic.

TheHeckler
11-07-2008, 12:02 AM
If you want it to look more cool, just buy a carry handle and mount the scope on that, then it may still be high but it will look more "natural" is i guess the word im looking for.

that is exactly what i was thinking

The Bacon Eater
11-07-2008, 1:34 PM
I had the 5" one that you are talking about on my bushnell trophy and it worked perfectly with the lower 1/3 co.
I've got this YHM riser in stock, raises it only 1/2"

YHM Rail Riser (http://riflegear.com/p-200-yankee-hill-scope-riser-mount.aspx)

But if you are going to replace the front sight with a folding one then I guess it is fine as a temporary solution - assuming you can get a decent cheek weld with it that high. As far as folding front sights, I really like the new ARMS #41B that folds yet still has that classic shape.

maxicon
11-07-2008, 1:42 PM
The goal on an AR is to have the optics centerline around 1.4". That'll give absolute co-witness with the iron sights, and will use the same shoulder mount and cheekweld as you'd use with the iron sights. For lower 1/3, that depends on the optic, but it's typically mounted about 0.1-0.2" higher.

To find out how much riser you need, measure from where the optic's mount sits on the rail to the center of the optic, and subtract that from 1.4" (absolute co-witness) or 1.65" (lower 1/3). That gives the height of the riser you need.

If the front post still bothers you with an absolute or lower 1/3 co-witness, you can go with a folding or rail-mount front sight, but there's a lot to be said for getting used to it for maximum flexibility.