PDA

View Full Version : How to transport rifles in truck?

nrakid88
11-05-2008, 9:06 PM
I am wondering what the legal way to transport rifles in a truck is. I never looked at the law before and only know what my dad taught me, and who knows if hes right because he probably learned it while he grew up in Michigan in the 60's... Anyways, I usually put the rifles in the cab, behind my seats, in soft cases, not locked, and the ammo in the truck bed. if not that way then I'll put the ammo in the back of the can behind the seats and the rifles in soft cases in the truck bed. I was taught that as long as there unloaded and you can't get to both the ammo and the guns your golden, but I just wanna make sure I have it right.

nrakid88
11-05-2008, 9:07 PM
Btw I know that you have to have pistols unloaded and in a locked container.

dexter9659
11-05-2008, 9:11 PM
You can drive with your rifles and shotguns down your pants if you want, just make sure they are not loaded.

Pistols must be kept locked (not in glove box), with ammo in a separate "secured" container.

jb7706
11-05-2008, 9:34 PM
with ammo in a separate "secured" container.

Unless you can cite PC that states that last part I am pretty sure you are spreading FUD.

762cavalier
11-05-2008, 9:53 PM
You can drive with your rifles and shotguns down your pants if you want, just make sure they are not loaded.

Pistols must be kept locked (not in glove box), with ammo in a separate "secured" container.

Not required. Ammo does not have to be locked up in a separate container.

As to the OP

Longuns can be transported anywhere in the vehicle as long as they are unloaded. It would be perfectly legal to transport an SKS (simonov pattern rifle) with a stripper clip next to it on the front seat with you.

CA_Libertarian
11-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Btw I know that you have to have pistols unloaded and in a locked container.

Common misconception. This is actually an exemption to carrying a concealed pistol. You only have to have your pistol locked up if you conceal it. Wether concealed or not, you have to keep it unloaded in incorporated areas and some unincorporated areas.

Rifles must also be unloaded if you're in an incorporated/prohibited area. However, rifles don't have to be locked up if you choose to conceal them.

Also, there's no need to keep the ammo separate/inaccessable. As long as the gun is not loaded (see People v Clark for definition) you can have the ammo anywhere you want.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is the California Gun Free School Zone Act. If you come within 1,000' of a K-12 or upon grounds of any other school you have to have your guns locked up. For pistols, this means a fully enclosed, locked container. Long guns can be stowed in a locking gun rack or locking case.

tombinghamthegreat
11-05-2008, 10:13 PM

FUD You can have the guns/ammo in the same container. You could also UOC a pistol as long as you are not violating the school zones.

Army
11-06-2008, 10:13 AM
One thing you might want to keep in mind is the California Gun Free School Zone Act. If you come within 1,000' of a REASONABLY KNOWN K-12 or upon grounds of any other school you have to have your guns locked up. For pistols, this means a fully enclosed, locked container. Long guns can be stowed in a locking gun rack or locking case.

Fixed it for ya!

Liberty1
11-06-2008, 10:18 AM

become enlightened :)

californiaopencarry.org (http://californiaopencarry.org/)

CA_Libertarian
11-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Fixed it for ya!

You are correct, sir. The prosecution is required to prove that you reasonably did or should have known you were in a school zone.

Makes you wonder... if a blind man were packin' heat in a school zone, how would he know? Can you hear a school from 999' away?

Salty
11-06-2008, 2:57 PM
I have a few school zone scenarios that I’m curious about… maybe someone can clarify for me.

1) Firearm inside trunk with doors of car and trunk locked but trunk button inside the car accessible to driver?

2) Firearm inside trunk with the trunk locked and the lockable trunk button inside the car locked?

3) Void a remote trunk release key fob void the whole trunk counting as a locked container thing?

4) Pistol inside biometric safe which is then placed in the center consol?

5) Pistol inside biometric safe which is then bolted into the center consol?

Thanks.

MudCamper
11-06-2008, 3:42 PM
We just went over this, again, less than a month ago.

A search reveals the nearly identical thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=125532&highlight=rifle+truck), last updated a week ago.