PDA

View Full Version : AR 10 receiver build qeustions

damon1272
11-05-2008, 8:33 PM
I am looking to build a ar10 for my old man. Question is should I go with an Aero or armalite style receiver so that I can use an armalite upper of should I go with the Remington/DPMS stlye lower that resembles a standard ar? What would be better for the long run. I am inclinded to go with teh armalite style receiver. Opinons?

bwiese
11-05-2008, 9:16 PM
I'd get the Armalite-compatible system.

Obviously Armalite AR10 receivers are listed/banned, so you'd have to get an Aero, a Noveske, or an Aircraft Armament (the latter fairly limited circulation).

I believe the Armalite system/uppers are a significantly more tested design than that offered by other mfgrs, and there's more real engineering talent at Armalite.

Armalite is the only 308 AR vendor offering chrome-lined barrels (a feature I recommend for any 1st-time AR owner, esp if he's shooting a variety of milsurp ammo).

I've had my AR10 since late 90s (reg'd AW) and am enormously pleased with it (tack driver!)

damon1272
11-06-2008, 7:54 PM
Thanks for the input. I was definitly leaning towards armalite.

BB63Squid
11-06-2008, 8:19 PM
Good info Bill, thanks.

I had a chance to pick up a ar-10 upper a while back but the barrel wasn't chrome lined so I held off.

What you said validates my gut feeling at the time.