PDA

View Full Version : AR sights question

ukdkbr
11-05-2008, 7:28 PM
Well I have another AR question ... it's my first what can I say?

Ok, so. I have a stag 3h upper so it has the railed gas block, I bought a Yankee hill rear railed flip up sight and a matching railed front flip up sight. I read and was told these would work fine (I know they're not the best ...). Anyways, my question is: I take it to the range, which is an indoor range with a max of 25 yards. I made no adjustments to the sights, and at 25 yards the rifle shoots horrible low. Now is it this the fact that I'm shooting at such a short distance, or do I really need to get to an outdoor range? It looks like that even if I adjust the front sight post, there is only so much I can do (that's how low it shoots), any input would be great!
Thanks!

EYP
11-05-2008, 7:35 PM
1 -- did you shoot from a benchrest?

2 -- What's horribely low?

3 -- did you make adjustments to the front sight?

4 -- did the impacts move up if you made adjustments?

aplinker
11-05-2008, 7:51 PM
Is the front sight made for gas block or rail height? They are different.

It seems like it should be right, considering if the front sight were low, you would be shooting high.

Sounds like you just need to adjust the front sight post. They're not pre-adjusted.

EYP
11-05-2008, 9:06 PM
Let's not forget a possible bad sight picture.

[not a personal attack on your shooting skills]

rabagley
11-05-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm guessing that "horrible low" means that you weren't even on the paper and you had to hold high to see it.

I also recently set up an upper with YHM flip up sights (front on the gas block). Rear took two clicks to the right and front required three clicks up to zero at 50 yards. Now shoots about an inch low at 25 yards. Was very close to the red dot sight right after bolting things up, so I didn't figure I would have to do a lot.

On the sight picture, are you putting the center of the target behind the top edge of the post and the top of the post in the middle of the ghost ring?

From the training manual:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:M16_rifle_correct_sight_picture_fig_4-18.png

Like EYP said, no criticism intended. If it's your first time with ghost ring sights, it's easy enough to get things wrong.

Ballistic043
11-05-2008, 10:36 PM
hmm, the problem might be that you need to get a gas block front sight?

rabagley
11-05-2008, 10:46 PM
hmm, the problem might be that you need to get a gas block front sight?

If he put a handguard sight on his gas block, he'd be shooting very high, not very low.

ukdkbr
11-06-2008, 9:04 PM
Sorry it took awhile to reply...
To clarify: By horribly low I mean that at 25 yards I'm aiming at the head of the paper target and I'm getting a pretty tight group in below the center of the torso. I would hope that I'm not that bad of a shot, I take my Keltec to the same range and it's dead on.

And yes the front sight is mounted to a RAILED front gas block, and my YH front flip up sight is for a railed front gas block. I have not made any adjustments thus far, I just ordered a front post sight adjustment tool, so we'll see how that goes. It just seems WAY off.

M. Sage
11-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Make sure it's actually for a gas block.

Got a picture of the rifle from the side?