PDA

View Full Version : ammo prices going up

jpkotor
11-05-2008, 6:16 PM
So Ammoman and CTD jacked up prices for 7.62x39 already. I'm pretty new to this and too young to remember anything before this decade.

Without causing hysteria, is now the time we should be buying ammo because its going to go up, or are stores taking advantage of the election being yesterday and can we expect prices to go back down soon? I just bought 1000 rds a couple weeks ago when it was 200 bucks per thousand, now its 230. Is it time to grab a thousand more or wait for this madness to die down?

xibunkrlilkidsx
11-05-2008, 6:46 PM
Porbably wouldnt hurt. i think the immediate histeria isnt helping. But who knows what will happen after inaguration, and what not.

Im know im still going to get my usualy rounds each paycheck of a box of 50count of .308 win. Which i just found dropped $10 from one month ago.

Blacky
11-05-2008, 7:15 PM
Thanks for the Ammoman link jpkotor, are they pretty reputable?. I've been stocking up on 223 and handgun ammo for the last couple of months. Looks like some good 308 / 7.62x51 prices... which I need.

biko
11-05-2008, 7:17 PM
There are two wars going on AND raw material costs have gone way up. I think those are bigger contributers to price increases than short-term buying binges.

devildog999
11-05-2008, 7:21 PM
There are two wars going on AND raw material costs have gone way up. I think those are bigger contributers to price increases than short-term buying binges.

Agreed

ersatz
11-05-2008, 8:01 PM
Certain bit of hysteria/paranoia going about. I'm hoping for some good X-mas or new years sales. I would expect a drop in business during that time of year so hopefully they'll have some sales.

jb7706
11-05-2008, 8:27 PM
Thanks for the Ammoman link jpkotor, are they pretty reputable?

I have never had a problem with them. Been buying there for some stuff for over a year now.

grywlfbg
11-05-2008, 8:30 PM
Thanks for the Ammoman link jpkotor, are they pretty reputable?. I've been stocking up on 223 and handgun ammo for the last couple of months. Looks like some good 308 / 7.62x51 prices... which I need.

I've been buying stuff there for 2 years and everything has been shipped promptly and billed correctly.

sb_pete
11-05-2008, 8:32 PM

Not really, this is most likely related to the election. The strengthening dollar and weakening China have been bringing raw materials prices down in dollar terms for the last two months or so. The impact of the wars has not changed in years. Any price increase right now is most likely due to increased demand by people buying against the possibility of upcoming legislation.

I would bet that these prices go back down by December, then up again around inauguration time in January. After that, well, depends on what the Dems do...

-Pete

jlh95811
11-05-2008, 8:35 PM
Porbably wouldnt hurt. i think the immediate histeria isnt helping. But who knows what will happen after inaguration, and what not.

Im know im still going to get my usualy rounds each paycheck of a box of 50count of .308 win. Which i just found dropped $10 from one month ago.

Any tips on that cheap .308 for a poor guy like me? I've been paying $35 for 50 rounds of Magtech.

510dat
11-05-2008, 8:54 PM
reloadable Lithuanian 7.62 NATO (good stuff):
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8644&dir=18|830|848
Igman 7.62:
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7371&dir=18|830|848

German & South African surplus, neither is reloadable (berdan primed)
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/308.html

different vendor:
http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

JDoe
11-05-2008, 9:21 PM
Without causing hysteria, is now the time we should be buying ammo because its going to go up, or are stores taking advantage of the election being yesterday and can we expect prices to go back down soon?

Metal prices have been coming down and are still falling today. Enough gun owners fearing an imminent weapon ban, standard capacity magazine ban or ammo tax have all of the sudden decided to panic and stock up for the next 20 years and a SHTF TEOTWAWKI attack of the killer tomatoes situation. So some stores caught with their stocks rapidly being depleted jack up prices or con people into getting on a waiting list for stuff at higher prices.

I agree that ammo prices may spike immediately at some but not at all stores. Ammo prices should fall towards Xmas and then might go up around Jan. 20 if the panic stricken few haven't run out of money yet.

Some people were freaking out about AR-15 mags being in short supply/no supply so I did my public service thing and found a few thousand of them in stock at various vendors.

Some vendors have run out of stock but others have what you want piled high at normal pre-election prices. Search a little and you'll find what you're looking for at a fair price.

jchen76@gmail.com
11-05-2008, 9:25 PM
Check out http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ magazines all magazines 10 rounds and up are sold out. Was plenty last week.

Infidel
11-05-2008, 9:30 PM
Check AIMSURPLUS and JGSALES I can't remember which one it was but I ordered 700 rounds of HOTSHOT 7.62x39mm for $128+shipping about a week ago

dustoff31
11-05-2008, 9:53 PM
Check AIMSURPLUS and JGSALES I can't remember which one it was but I ordered 700 rounds of HOTSHOT 7.62x39mm for $128+shipping about a week ago

AIM was sold out of the HOTSHOT as of this morning.

They still had 5.45x39 at $119.00/tin, for anyone interested.

USN CHIEF
11-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Times are changing and the cost of metals will not go down. Best thing to do is to buy ammo as often as you can when you see good deals. I have done a good job stocking up on ammo and cutting my range trips significantly. Ammo went up big time in November of 07 and it will continue to go up. I still have lots of wolf .223 55gr and 62gr that I bought from an ACE hardware store in WA state back in 06, I found it for $96 per 1k rounds, I ended up buying all that they had in stock along with some russian .308 ammo. Now that I am into reloading, I will just keep that ammo and not waste it since it is now worth almost 3 times what I paid for it 2 years ago.

dchang0
11-05-2008, 10:16 PM
China's been buying up all the raw materials in sight for several years now, and they're still going strong. My neighbor was just over there and said that they're still "popping up one skyscraper a day." Aside from steel, they're buying up copper at an insane pace for wiring and plumbing.

I just spent over $700 on a Spike's Tactical .22LR upper and some Black Dog mags to cut back on ammo costs so that I can keep on shooting without touching the stash. Even at such a high price, I think that upper will be one of the best investments I ever made... Hell, it'll save on gas to drive out to the centerfire rifle ranges already, because .22LR rifles are welcome at every local indoor pistol range.

Still, nobody should panic. When the military finishes developing the caseless ammo and weapons they're working on now, we will see a huge savings because that ammo is housed in super-cheap polymer tubes. If the military transitions rapidly to those caseless ammo weapons, we'll see demand for brass cases drop precipitously, leaving plenty for us.

The faster ammo costs rise, the faster the military will get those caseless weapons issued.

Ballistic043
11-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Check out http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ magazines all magazines 10 rounds and up are sold out. Was plenty last week.

hmm, but i can still get the 10rnd/ 13rnd HK USP mags from cdnn?

sb_pete
11-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Still, nobody should panic. When the military finishes developing the caseless ammo and weapons they're working on now, we will see a huge savings because that ammo is housed in super-cheap polymer tubes. If the military transitions rapidly to those caseless ammo weapons, we'll see demand for brass cases drop precipitously, leaving plenty for us.

The faster ammo costs rise, the faster the military will get those caseless weapons issued.

LOL, O RLY dude? You mean the ones with the air-bursting phazer grenade launchers?;)

biko
11-06-2008, 1:40 AM
Not really, this is most likely related to the election. The strengthening dollar and weakening China have been bringing raw materials prices down in dollar terms for the last two months or so. The impact of the wars has not changed in years. Any price increase right now is most likely due to increased demand by people buying against the possibility of upcoming legislation.

I would bet that these prices go back down by December, then up again around inauguration time in January. After that, well, depends on what the Dems do...

-Pete

You've got to distinguish between futures prices, actual current prices and when those input costs were applied to the current product on store shelves. The trend line is up.

I don't have a lot of history buying ammo, but from what I hear anecdotally, prices did a big jump about 2 years ago. That's got to be a secular supply-demand-cost issue. The impact of the wars has got to have an impact. Where else would you find a big consumer of supply?

Standard
11-06-2008, 5:04 AM
A couple of days ago, Silver Bear .308 from CTD was 7.50 or so. Now it's $9.96. Their website shows a -3.97% savings

dchang0
11-06-2008, 8:51 AM
LOL, O RLY dude? You mean the ones with the air-bursting phazer grenade launchers?;)

LOL--I guess you don't get the NRA's free-with-membership American Rifleman magazine. One or two months ago, they wrote a feature article on the new caseless ammo weapons the military has been developing over the past few years. One of the two concept weapons is actually near completion. (The other concept weapon actually burns up the entire round so that nothing is ejected, but they are having lots of problems with that approach.)

They had photos and test firing data. The military originally started developing the new form of ammo to dramatically cut down on the weight so that troops could carry much more into battle, but it's probably going to turn into a cost-saving measure with the price of copper going through the roof.

dustoff31
11-06-2008, 11:37 AM
LOL--I guess you don't get the NRA's free-with-membership American Rifleman magazine. One or two months ago, they wrote a feature article on the new caseless ammo weapons the military has been developing over the past few years. One of the two concept weapons is actually near completion. (The other concept weapon actually burns up the entire round so that nothing is ejected, but they are having lots of problems with that approach.)

They had photos and test firing data. The military originally started developing the new form of ammo to dramatically cut down on the weight so that troops could carry much more into battle, but it's probably going to turn into a cost-saving measure with the price of copper going through the roof.

I must have missed that article too. Anyway, some have been working on caseless ammo for 30 years or so. HK was one of the forerunners on this. In fact Century Arms had some of the HK ammo for sale on their website. I have no idea what one would shoot it from.

IMHO, this is like the military converting to 6.8 thing. It's possible I suppose, but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

surfingpl
11-06-2008, 11:58 AM
metalstorm (http://www.metalstorm.com/)

Check out metalstorm. (OTC: MTSXY.PK)

sb_pete
11-06-2008, 2:29 PM

Just ribbing ya a bit. Yeah, I get the American Rifleman, although I think that article was more than 2 months ago. Yeah, I've heard about the latest attempts at caseless ammo service rifles that are "nearing production." like dustoff was saying, HK was working on those way back in the 70's but shelved the G11 project when the Berlin Wall came down. Everybody keeps talking about it, but nobody is holding their breath on that stuff. Just like the OICW, XM108, etc, etc, etc, nothing is likely to really come out of this. I may be wrong, but we'll see. Even if I am wrong, don't expect anything to happen for a decade.

surfingpl
11-06-2008, 7:07 PM
If you haven't yet, you guys should really watch the vid's at metalstorm. This technology is real.