PDA

View Full Version : Next build

Slugo
11-05-2008, 6:10 PM
First off, I just want to thank the CGN community for their wealth of information. After hanging around for over a year, I finally caught the black rifle disease. There were so many options available to me for an AR platform, I decided to go with a KISS setup. However, I want to start another build, but the possibilities seem endless. As of right now I have the following options lined up:

1. AR with flattop setup and throw optics on the rifle
2. AR setup and use a gas piston upper
3. AR setup and use a gas piston retrofit
4. Buy a Sig 556
5. Forget another rifle and buy more ammo

Since I am still quite new to all of this, any and all opinions and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Slugo

aplinker
11-05-2008, 7:37 PM
Here's how I'd do it if I were you...

At this point, as much as I am a huge AR guy, I'd add an AK to my safe. A Lancaster or a certified Henderson WASR... something simple, but effective. A Saiga is also a good choice. They're under $600 for a whole rifle.

After that, I'd add a couple lowers, just to stow them away, then add the upper as $ became available. I'd be buying ammo, as well - at least 2x the amount I shoot per year.

Between ammo, an AK and a pair of lowers, you're probably up to the amount you'd spend on another AR, but you're still in good shape for whatever you want to do and can save for the next upper.

My 2 cents...

nobs11
11-05-2008, 8:21 PM
At this point, as much as I am a huge AR guy, I'd add an AK to my safe. A Lancaster or a certified Henderson WASR... something simple, but effective. A Saiga is also a good choice. They're under $600 for a whole rifle.

Huh? Is that uclaplinker? Have you been drinking? :p

Option 1 + 5. But wait a few weeks/months before the madness dies down.

devildog999
11-05-2008, 8:44 PM
I think I would go with an AK also. Never hurts to have another type of rifle, especially with the possibility of gun bans and rising costs, might as well get it now.

Linus
11-05-2008, 8:51 PM
Start reloading...

mark2203
11-06-2008, 4:56 AM
This setup is pretty badd ***. M1A Socom with a Vltor modstock

http://www.vltor.com/socom_pics.htm#GreenSniper_g

dlouie87
11-06-2008, 10:10 AM
This setup is pretty badd ***. M1A Socom with a Vltor modstock

http://www.vltor.com/socom_pics.htm#GreenSniper_g

if you can make that a fixed magazine.... I'm sure that m14/m1a can be legal.

-Dan

Slugo
11-06-2008, 7:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know why I never considered an AK platform before. It would be nice to diversify the collection in the safe.

professionalcoyotehunter
11-07-2008, 3:54 PM
Got any pics of it.

Pred Thumper
11-07-2008, 8:14 PM
Dont forget to buy double the ammo pouches and color code the magazines so you dont become confused in the rush to grab the right clips for the right gun ... When SHTF I would hate to not have the right ammo just MHO. (ok ok I know the rounds are different and ther clips look big and ugly ...dont miss the point guys :)

One of my system combo's include a 9mm uzi with a 9mm Baretta as an example. The other is the 5.56 Nato M4 just because I am a black Rifle Lover
I might add another system but will mostly likely address long distance objects... am looking at the 6.8 real hard :)

Pred Thumper
11-07-2008, 8:16 PM
I thought AK's were not accurate weapons?