PDA

View Full Version : Buy and intrafamilial transfer OLL to son before ban?

Johnny Diablo
11-05-2008, 1:47 AM
My son has to be 18 before I can transfer an OLL to him?

He is 3 but I am considering buying him an OLL receiver to transfer into his name before the new democratic momentum can ban them.

Possible?

mvpatriot
11-05-2008, 1:51 AM
Is it just me, or is this a little overboard. If you are really worried about a FAWB just do like the rest of us and buy up now and worry about transfers to your son later. GL

Johnny Diablo
11-05-2008, 2:02 AM
Is it just me, or is this a little overboard. ...

I am convinced you are on the wrong board and perhaps planet. What state do you live in? How limited are our rights here? Do they ever introduce legislation to relax restrictions on guns? Are most calgunners about being prepared and heading things off at the pass? (do a search on SHTF if you dont believe)

The window of time may be closing.

I will be purchasing more firearms this week. Reloading gear in the coming year.

mvpatriot
11-05-2008, 2:07 AM
Wow- I guess my posts are not translating so well this evening...
Anyways, I was simply saying that paperwork is prob the least of your worries at this point regarding the tranfer to your 3yr old son thats all. Im all for buying up guns and ammo my friend, read my WTB post :D Buy more and buy often...
I am convinced you are on the wrong board and perhaps planet. What state do you live in? How limited are our rights here? Do they ever introduce legislation to relax restrictions on guns? Are most calgunners about being prepared and heading things off at the pass? (do a search on SHTF if you dont believe)

The window of time may be closing.

I will be purchasing more firearms this week. Reloading gear in the coming year.

artherd
11-05-2008, 4:29 AM
Interesting. I am not aware of any requirement that an IFT recipient be over 18.

Considering that the current AWB prevents amongst other things, even inheritance of AWs, it's not a completely paranoid thought.

Might even be a good time to "Voluntarily Register" the gun, since otherwise IFTs do not require paperwork. (and thus would have no paper trail.)

Mssr. Eleganté
11-05-2008, 6:59 AM
There is no age restriction for the ownership of long guns, but minors can only acquire them from a parent (or a grandparent if they have a parent's permission.)

It will depend on the wording of any new Federal AWB to know if he would need to start a paper trail to prove ownership.

Ballistic043
11-05-2008, 7:37 AM
so for now, is it safe to say that anyone who has had an OLL/ar15 type rifle purchased for them, and then subsequently handed down, doesn't have to worry at this point?

bwiese
11-05-2008, 9:26 AM
Guys,

Don't panic. Don't listen to the drama queens here. Regardless of Obamicide, there will be no new Fed ban. The pro-gun tilt (plus people not willing to be burned again) in Senate/House is still there - and they remember what happened in 1994.

Our problems are primarily in California, and those issues will be relaxing.

Obama gun issues primarily revolve around new court nominations and not letting us lock in the 2nd as well as we'd like - but as long as we keep our 5 Heller guys on the Supremes we can do OK. The rest involves BATF regulatory enforcement matters and hassling FFLs.

mvpatriot
11-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Guys,

Don't panic. Don't listen to the drama queens here. Regardless of Obamicide, there will be no new Fed ban. The pro-gun tilt (plus people not willing to be burned again) in Senate/House is still there - and they remember what happened in 1994.

Obama gun issues primarily revolve around new court nominations and not letting us lock in the 2nd as well as we'd like - but as long as we keep our 5 Heller guys on the Supremes we can do OK. The rest involves BATF regulatory enforcement matters and hassling FFLs.

Ahhhh.... a voice of reason. I figure we are at least safe for awhile (AWB), but that won't keep me from buying up as much of a surplus as I can in the meanwhile.

Johnny Diablo
11-05-2008, 1:36 PM
I like to be ahead of the game. If I can do the purchase and lock it in the safe for my lil guy to come of age I want to do it.

Strange things happen sometimes. I am mortal. I ride a motorcycle back and forth to work. I know you might say if I die a tragic early death before the ban an OLL in my sons name will be the least of his worries. I carry a substantial accidental death policy anyhow.

I am going forward with the purchase of glock soon and might as well add on a OLL for the boy. I will update on the progress.

artherd
11-05-2008, 3:48 PM
There is never a *bad* time to buy a gun!

ProlificARProspect
11-05-2008, 4:08 PM
Guys,

Yes this is the voice of a Wise Man.....

People listen to Bill.

We should not panic and start buying cause you are afraid there will be a new AWB, DONt panic instead plan for a defensive pasture and action. This should and will not be the path of CHANGE our Country will take with stripping us of our right to bear arms. By anybody buying because they are afraid of Obama's Gun policy and course of action he might take against our right to bear arms should not be the case to buy.

Lets not be content with having guns before the "BAN" but fight hard to prevent a "BAN". We have 13 months 26 days to prevent one.:43:

X-NewYawker
11-05-2008, 8:42 PM
This doesn't seem paranoid.

Just prudent.