PDA

View Full Version : M1A Loaded barrel better than Standerd?

nav195
11-04-2008, 5:40 PM
Im looking to buy the M1A. I have acouple of questions. How much more accurate is the loaded barrel. I know the trigger is lighter pull. Enough said there. Is the black synthetic stock the same as the socom in regaurds to how it feels physically. I mean the texture? I know in front of the socoms mag wel it is slimmer on the bottom of the stock. Im not sure which model to get or the stock. Pictureof the synthetic stock wouls be appreciated thank you.

X-NewYawker
11-04-2008, 6:02 PM
The Loaded is a medium weight National Match barrel. It is noticeably more accurate than the lighter contour standard model

Sumo99
11-04-2008, 6:03 PM
Im looking to buy the M1A. I have acouple of questions. How much more accurate is the loaded barrel. I know the trigger is lighter pull. Enough said there. Is the black synthetic stock the same as the socom in regaurds to how it feels physically. I mean the texture? I know in front of the socoms mag wel it is slimmer on the bottom of the stock. Im not sure which model to get or the stock. Pictureof the synthetic stock wouls be appreciated thank you.

I don't know much about the barrel differences except you can get a stainless one on the loaded.

Regarding the stock, now that depends...Springfield just recently started using a new synthetic stock and is no longer using painted USGI stocks. I hear the new stocks flex more in the foregrip than the old ones. Also the loaded synthetic stock comes with a rubber butt pad and the SOCOM synthetic comes with a metal butt plate.

You also get NM front sights on the loaded

aplinker
11-04-2008, 7:41 PM
The loaded SS model is the way to go.

M1A barrels are not chrome lined.

nav195
11-04-2008, 7:44 PM
The loaded SS model is the way to go.

M1A barrels are not chrome lined.

SS meaning Synthetic stock?

ghost
11-04-2008, 7:53 PM

stainless steel barrel

aplinker
11-04-2008, 7:53 PM

stainless steel

nav195
11-04-2008, 8:06 PM
stainless steel

why is that. the loaded also comes with a different barrel. I cant rememebr what it is but is not stainless but still a medium barrel.

Gnome
11-04-2008, 8:27 PM
This post raises a good question (at least I think). With the new President and Democratic powers that be, are M1As and other Military surplus rifles safe? They aren't "evil" looking, right? They are pretty much hunting rifles, right? Any documentation to back up opinions would be cool. Just so this doesn't become a No/Yes thread.

X-NewYawker
11-04-2008, 8:37 PM
M1-As and Mini-14s are listed in HR1022 which is the template for the renewed AWB -- as well as a paragraph I have printed here before where it says the Attorney General (chuck Shumer?) gets to DECIDE what models have a "sporting purpose" and says that "by definition, guns designed for teh military have no sporting purpose"

So expect very similar wording and yes, buy them now and hope they don't come asking us to give them back.

And again, for you guys who insist THAT will never happen -- please remember the Left's GOAL. Weaken us, disarm us, then tax ALL our money and give us back as much as they think we need.

They can't do that if we are armed.

Darklyte27
11-04-2008, 8:40 PM
Im still looking at the Springfield M1A STD 308 SYN SS LOADED
Part Number:MA9826CA

it has a synthetic stock and Stainless Steel barrel. Its also the CA version of course.

I wanted to get it at Buds, it was 1484$ but now its back up t 1516$

nav195
11-04-2008, 8:41 PM
do you think if we have to "Give them back" we would be compinsated in any way?

glockman19
11-04-2008, 9:12 PM
I have a loaded with carbon barrel and synthetic stock. It has the heavier National Match barrel and has great accuracy. I decided on the carbon barrel over the stainless steel for a few reasons 1) slightly lighter. 2) carbon barrel disapates heat quicker than Stainless. 3) If I need to use it for hte purposed it was intended I don't want to give away my position with a shiny barrel.

Lee F. Smith
11-04-2008, 9:28 PM
do you think if we have to "Give them back" we would be compinsated in any way?

Not a chance!

nav195
11-04-2008, 9:44 PM
I have a loaded with carbon barrel and synthetic stock. It has the heavier National Match barrel and has great accuracy. I decided on the carbon barrel over the stainless steel for a few reasons 1) slightly lighter. 2) carbon barrel disapates heat quicker than Stainless. 3) If I need to use it for hte purposed it was intended I don't want to give away my position with a shiny barrel.
how is the texture on the stock? Is it like the socom stocks?

Timberland
11-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Not a chance!

Im happy to see the election hasent made any of us parinoid.

30Cal
11-05-2008, 8:15 AM
A lot of it depends on how your particular stock fits. A nice match barrel in a poorly fitted stock won't shoot like a nice match barrel. The loaded model is going to be a full pound heavier.

glockman19
11-05-2008, 8:18 AM
how is the texture on the stock? Is it like the socom stocks?

YES.

M1Atdk
11-05-2008, 2:51 PM
All the barrels Springfield uses is their own, they turn down the NM barrels to medium or standard weight. I have seen some of the newer standard Springfield barrels be very accurate way more so then the lower end Criterion barrels. With that being said the loaded should be more accurate with all things being equal. Not a huge diffrence in weight either.

If i was going to build a DMR style rifle in JAE stock i would get a Loaded. If i wanted a cheaper battle rifle i would buy the Standard.