PDA

View Full Version : Can't get old Bullet Button off...

soundwave
11-04-2008, 5:29 PM
I got my new style bullet button in today and started the swap out with the old insatlled BB.

Took the nut off fine and the mag release post came out the other side, but now I have the press fit knob sticking out still and I cannot pull that sucker out.

Anyone run into this problem and how did you get it out?

Thanks!

shark92651
11-04-2008, 5:34 PM
The old style bullet buttons were "press fit" so to get it out you either need to find the right size punch and knock it out from the back side, or grab it with some pliers/vice grips and work it out from the front (scratching it up in the process). Then again, the "new style" bullet button looks exactly the same as the old so why bother? You could just remove and replace the stainless nut with the black one. Or is it a different product altogether you are trying to install?

soundwave
11-04-2008, 5:37 PM
Yes, it is a different type. I just got the new one that has the Prince kit with the new front plate that covers it, allowing one to convert from CA legal to free state legal with the removal of the screw.

I thought of the punch, but when examining the inside where the back of the BB body meets th receiver body, there is no overlap, and therefor nothing for a punch to push.

CHS
11-04-2008, 5:48 PM
use a punch from the other side to just tap it out.

domokun
11-04-2008, 6:00 PM
Don't forget to take off all the evil features before removing the bullet button!

hoffmang
11-04-2008, 6:11 PM
Don't forget to take off all the evil features before removing the bullet button!

Or just take the upper off. A lower without an upper is not a semiautomatic centerfire rifle.

-Gene

soundwave
11-04-2008, 8:18 PM
use a punch from the other side to just tap it out.

See my previous post. There is nothing to punch out from the other side, that is no surface to apply pressure. The BB opening is flush with the AR body opening. That is the pickle.

soundwave
11-04-2008, 8:19 PM
Or just take the upper off. A lower without an upper is not a semiautomatic centerfire rifle.

-Gene

I already took off the grip just to be sure. Kinda a "better to do it and not need to" thing.

thanks for the help and thoughts so far. Please keep ideas coming, I am at a stand still now.

Prince50
11-04-2008, 8:25 PM
the punch will work. there is a small lip inside the hole, as the BB through hole is smaller in diameter than a mil spec hole for the mag catch.

PM me directly if you cannot get it. A punch inserted into the right side can give you leverage to wiggle it out without damaging it.

Thanks.

Darin

soundwave
11-04-2008, 9:19 PM
the punch will work. there is a small lip inside the hole, as the BB through hole is smaller in diameter than a mil spec hole for the mag catch.

PM me directly if you cannot get it. A punch inserted into the right side can give you leverage to wiggle it out without damaging it.

Thanks.

Darin

PM sent. Thank you for your help and time.

soundwave
11-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Just an update for anyone who runs into this problem and searched for an answer. I did indeed punch the BB body out from the right side as suggested by bd, shark and Prince. Thanks again fellas.

The new B15 kit is great too BTW! Very easy to install and when I travel to AZ and other free styates to shoot, it takes like 10 seconds to take the face plate off to have a normal mag release button.

Pred Thumper
11-05-2008, 7:59 PM

Hmmm you doing this out in public or in the privacy of your own home?
lol