PDA

View Full Version : Shipping rifles to California question

jbolton
11-04-2008, 6:12 PM
I was wondering if anyone has knowledge of the laws for shipping hunting rifles from Texas to my house in california.

My dad was going to send me his rifles which are California legal. can he send them through Fedx or do they need to go through a dealer?

hawk1
11-04-2008, 6:17 PM
I was wondering if anyone has knowledge of the laws for shipping hunting rifles from Texas to my house in california.

My dad was going to send me his rifles which are California legal. can he send them through Fedx or do they need to go through a dealer?

Is he giving ownership of them to you?
If your father is giving ownership of them to you then it will have to go through a FFL to satisfy federal law. Then you will do the state DROS at the FFL.

jbolton
11-04-2008, 6:33 PM
I will be taking ownership of them. Does he need to find a ffl there or can he just send them through fedx?

Thank you for the reply.

bwiese
11-04-2008, 6:40 PM
I will be taking ownership of them. Does he need to find a ffl there or can he just send them through fedx?

He can send them directly to your receiving CA FFL.

Since they are long guns, he can send them via US Mail (declared, insured, etc.)

jbolton
11-04-2008, 6:43 PM
perfect thanks!

hawk1
11-04-2008, 7:10 PM
Be sure you check with your receiving FFL as to if he accepts shipments from private individuals (your dad) and what his cost will be to receive them and do the DROS.
Not all FFL's will accept from private individuals and prices vary. You do not want to get surprised when they arrive and the FFL charges enormous fees... Shop around. :)

jbolton
11-04-2008, 7:18 PM
Good Info thanks!

monkezuncle
11-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Guys... you are doing this question a disservice by answering it way too literally. The best way to achieve this is for his dad to physically give him the firearm(s) while he is physically in TX with his dad as a gift. Then it is an interfamily gift/transfer. Then he can ship them back to his house in CA w/o DROS or Transfer fees. The only req. would be the notification form to the state and the 19 bucks on any handguns.

Yes, if you are giving a literally answer all other posts are right... but someone needs to tell this guy there is an easier way to do this.

Mssr. Eleganté
11-05-2008, 11:09 PM
Guys... you are doing this question a disservice by answering it way too literally. The best way to achieve this is for his dad to physically give him the firearm(s) while he is physically in TX with his dad as a gift. Then it is an interfamily gift/transfer. Then he can ship them back to his house in CA w/o DROS or Transfer fees. The only req. would be the notification form to the state and the 19 bucks on any handguns.

Yes, if you are giving a literally answer all other posts are right... but someone needs to tell this guy there is an easier way to do this.

Monkezuncle, your "easier way" is a violation of Federal law. There is no family exemption in Federal law. The intra-family exemption is a California thing.

Federal law requires that firearms transfers between residents of two different States must be processed through an FFL.